RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
View Poll Results: What type of headlights will arrive on this RX450h?
LED
70.59%
HID
23.53%
Standard
0%
It's a crap shoot -- I don't know!
5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

The RX450h Headlight Guessing Game

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-12, 08:40 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default The RX450h Headlight Guessing Game

As some of you may know from other posts, I have a special ordered 2013 RX450h which is built and will be leaving Fukuoka on Friday, for delivery to me by mid-June. Monday evening, I received a copy of the "Vehicle Inventory Report" with the VIN for this truck, but what's not specified is the type of headlights that have been installed. (DRLs of course are LEDs for all 2013 RX.) As of this moment, my dealer isn't sure what type of headlights I'm getting either, but is working to figure it out before it arrives if they can.

Configuration:
  • 2013 RX450h AWD
  • Major Options: Comfort Package, Luxury Package, Nav, HUD, Mark Levinson, Intuitive Parking Assist, PCS, Towing Prep Pkg and Hitch
Note: The brief description of the Luxury Package components on the Inventory Report indicate "Headlight Cleaners" are included -- no mention of the headlights themselves
Facts:
  • Lexus.com 2013 RX450h Options and Pricing Information is inconclusive. Interacting with Lexus.com Chat yesterday, they suspect "standard" headlights are the answer, as HID and LED show as independent options on the website and I don't have the line items in my order.
  • 2013 RX450h Product Information on the Lexus Newsroom Site was initially available in conjunction with the Geneva Auto Show and last updated 4/24. It calls out LED Headlights are part of the Luxury Package (which I will have).
  • My dealer tried yesterday ordering a new 2013 RX450h with the Luxury Package and found that he is not allowed to then add either the independent HID or LED Headlight options. Their present opinion is therefore, one or the other will be installed as part of the vehicle I'll have.
  • As a side note, my previous 2012 RX450h special order forced the addition of LED Headlights (which showed as a separate line item option) when the Luxury Package was ordered.

My personal hope, desire and thought is LED Headlights will arrive, but I'd feel a lot better after all this time and being so close to delivery, knowing for sure. What type of headlights do you think will arrive on my new 2013 RX450h?

I'll update this thread with the answer as soon as I have official Lexus confirmation or the vehicle arrives. Until then, folks placing special orders and desiring HID or LED headlights may want to be sure you call them out to your dealer so they can help ensure you receive what you're expecting.
(You guys that buy base models off the lot have a leg up on folks like me, knowing what you're getting I suppose. As many positive things as I have to say for this brand over 17 years of ownership, I'm increasingly frustrated with Lexus failures not providing more precise detail on the rollout of the new 2013s. As much as I hated doing it being 7 months into this ordering process, I told my dealer yesterday I won't compromise and take the vehicle if it has only standard headlights. Even my to-be-traded 2006 RX400h has HIDs. My countdown to arrival has begun, and despite this blip, I'm excited. The story continues... )

Last edited by BertL; 05-16-12 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Fixed URL
Old 05-16-12, 10:31 AM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that the LED Headlights is a done deal based on the options ordered and the Headlight Washers. My two cents. According to this web site they are part of the Luxury Package
http://www.lotpro.com/cars/2013/lexus/rx_450h/options/
Old 05-16-12, 11:16 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should know what did you pay for? I had to get the LED for the $$$ added to my order. Lexus would not let me order the car with HID's . If you did not pay any money for a headlight options then you get the standard if you did not put a lot of options on it and you payed for the HID's then you get them if you put a lot of the cool options on your car then you will see a charge for the LED's and that is what you will get. So what did you order on your new car? Hope you enjoy it when it shows up. Do a search on Club Lexus and you will find the way to find out what ship they put your car on and were that ship is on its way across the pond.
Old 05-16-12, 11:46 AM
BertL

Thanks for the comments. I've been very clear what I wanted and ordered -- I doubt many people could beat me with my level of precision on such things. LEDs were called out on the 2012 order, and the dealer had it in writing again for me on the 2013. The challenge in all the detail is conflicting 2013 info on Lexus.com, the announcement info, and the configurator that Lexus uses internally to place the order with the factory. Both MSRP and my price for the 2013 are within earshot of the 2012 with similar options, so dollars-wise I bet they are included. I unfortunatuely just cant get confirmation of such from anywhere in Lexus at this stage it seems until the vehicle actually arrives.

...and thanks for pointer on the ship info. I'll find it. Watched my BMW come over a few years back, and even caught a webcam of it offloading vehicles at the port. Didn't know I could do the same with Lexus.
Old 05-16-12, 11:46 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you ordered the Luxury package, then you will get adaptive LED headlights ... according the kbb.com. Just configure a 2013 450h with the luxury package and then read what is included in the package.
Old 05-16-12, 12:22 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

The LED were and addition charge on my 450h . As you see I got my with all the same things you did and a few others . Do not know how it will be in your state when you go get the tag for it but in Alabama I had to call the state to get it worked out . In February 2011 no one had a a 450h in the state with all the options that I had ordered on my car. Again I know you will love the car just read through the 450h section on Club Lexus and you will see some useful hints on how to drive this car for max MPG and enjoyment
Old 05-16-12, 12:27 PM
BertL

Thanks for the KBB pointer. Unfortunately, using the Lexus.com configurator isn't a good option -- at least for me with my zipcode -- as it offers me only 2 broad packages for a 450h that are each some odd combination of options listed elsewhere on the site -- e.g. no mention of "comfort" or "luxury" packages or other options like ML, with zero mention or option of LED headlights (only HID). It therefore can't really be used to configure what is listed in say a sales brochure or how a dealer can order a custom vehicle. (Personally, I wish the configurator would just match what can be ordered -- not what Lexus is pushing or pre-built for geographic vicinities. Oh well.)
Old 05-16-12, 12:55 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

I wish that they would rename the section on the Webb page "Build you"r on" to see what you can get in your area from our dealer or this is what we think what options sale in your area. To truly build you car you have to go under the overview and Pricing and options but you still will no know what you have to get until the order is placed and accepted by Lexus. Yes it sucks but it is what it is . This was my second special ordered RX the first one was a 2005 RX 330 and Lexus still plays the same games today as they did back then. Did see were the price came down on the LED's for the 2013 my were priced at 18oo when the car was ordered and now they are 1200.
Old 05-16-12, 01:15 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BertL
Thanks for the KBB pointer. Unfortunately, using the Lexus.com configurator isn't a good option -- at least for me with my zipcode -- as it offers me only 2 broad packages for a 450h that are each some odd combination of options listed elsewhere on the site -- e.g. no mention of "comfort" or "luxury" packages or other options like ML, with zero mention or option of LED headlights (only HID). It therefore can't really be used to configure what is listed in say a sales brochure or how a dealer can order a custom vehicle. (Personally, I wish the configurator would just match what can be ordered -- not what Lexus is pushing or pre-built for geographic vicinities. Oh well.)
I meant configure the car in kbb.com. Just click on the little info icon next to the luxury option package and it will list the components; including the LED headlights.
Old 05-16-12, 01:16 PM
BertL

Originally Posted by billy44bo
I wish that they would rename the section on the Webb page "Build you"r on" to see what you can get in your area from our dealer or this is what we think what options sale in your area. To truly build you car you have to go under the overview and Pricing and options but you still will no know what you have to get until the order is placed and accepted by Lexus. Yes it sucks but it is what it is . This was my second special ordered RX the first one was a 2005 RX 330 and Lexus still plays the same games today as they did back then. Did see were the price came down on the LED's for the 2013 my were priced at 18oo when the car was ordered and now they are 1200.
Yes on all your comments. ...and not to rub it in, but Mark Levinsion also went down from an astronomical $1610 or thereabouts to $995. I'm not complaining -- sure does not happen often!
Old 05-16-12, 01:18 PM
BertL

Originally Posted by UCSB
I meant configure the car in kbb.com. Just click on the little info icon next to the luxury option package and it will list the components; including the LED headlights.
Ahhhh, gotcha. Thanks again. I'm pretty confident today on the LEDs, even with Lexus being all over the map, but having so much other supporting info.
Old 05-16-12, 01:21 PM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I came across the same discrepancy between the various Lexus sources. I voted "LED" since that is what the printed Lexus brochure has and it is consistent with the pricing difference for the Luxury vs. Premium package of the 2013 RX450h.

Note that the 2013 RX350 does not include LED headlights in its Luxury package (and the package cost is less as a result)

I think Lexus's transition of product packaging data to the web has a few glitches in it still. Likewise their dealer configurator tool.

I would guess that the accuracy of their printed brochures (which they have always used to convey the product information to their customers) and - perhaps more importantly - their basis for pricing options would trump the other secondary sources of information.

I'm about to special order a 450h myself similarly equipped and am counting on LED headlights with the Luxury package.

Both dealers I've visited in the past week have been uncertain about this particular point themselves - including both the salesman and GM at one dealer who is "Elite of Lexus".
Old 05-16-12, 01:55 PM
BertL

Thanks, and agree with all your points. My GM was the one personally trying to figure this out for me yesterday, and he was stumped. . Good luck with your upcoming order. At least it appears like they have product now and you won't be waiting 5 months as I first did, once you decide to pull the tigger! ...just beware if you want the new blind spot monitor ... No Specific ETA on that other than "summer".
Old 05-16-12, 02:00 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

I voted for LED.

From my zipcode of 685xx there is only 1 package for the 450h AWD and it included the LED.
Old 05-16-12, 02:05 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

It is not until they try to order the car and the powers to be at Lexus will show them what can and can not be order on the car. Had this same problem back in 2005 you could order it this way and then you had to change the options that you had to add to your list to conform to the powers to be at that time. I order my car back in September 2010 before the 2011 were out to the dealers. The LED were never part of the Luxury package back then ether. It was a stand alone options but as VVRX posted it is and has always been part of the
HTML Code:
options ordered and the Headlight Washers
. There is not another car like the 450h out there right now and I know how much fun you guys will have with it when you get your cars in. And as far as the price now on the 13 and the price on the 2011 I pad 1k over the invoice not RSP.

Quick Reply: The RX450h Headlight Guessing Game