RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Misbehaving Audio System

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-12, 09:36 PM
lincland
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misbehaving Audio System

A month or so ago, my audio system started acting up. I would adjust the air temp (manually with a button) and it would eject a CD.

Then a few days later I was listening to a CD and it randomly spit it out, and put it back on SAT on a different station that it was on. The next day I got in the car and started it, and it was on a different SAT station than it was when I turned it off. Then later it spit another CD out, and changed to AM radio.

It's under warranty, so I'm just looking for the time to take it in, and in the mean time, tonight, I started the car and the audio **** won't adjust the volume, and it won't turn the unit off if I push it. It's unresponsive. And you know when you change volume, the little black indicator drops down on the navigation screen and tells you the volume...it's totally black. No letters or numbers.

So, I was wondering if there is an easy way to reboot the computer system that controls all of this. There doesn't seem to be any problem with the navigation system, it's just the stereo system, but also some of the environment controls, which are on the same panel, have an effect.

So I guess I just want to reset it to see if that can save me a trip into the dealership.

Thanks,

Lincoln
Old 03-25-12, 03:02 AM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RX Stereo

There are numerous threads about the 3rd Generation RX radio problems.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...my-stereo.html

All of them end up with going back to the dealer.
Old 03-25-12, 05:48 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Lincoln
Welcome to our board. The specific problem you have is not one I've heard of before. After you've been to your dealer could you update us as to the status?

The radios in general have seemed to perform pretty well (like the whole car) but whenever stuff is built in the high numbers like this stuff can happen. If it didn't there would be no need for a warranty. I'm sure Lexus will get yours fixed up ASAP.

Again welcome and stay in touch with us.
Originally Posted by lincland
A month or so ago, my audio system started acting up. I would adjust the air temp (manually with a button) and it would eject a CD.

Then a few days later I was listening to a CD and it randomly spit it out, and put it back on SAT on a different station that it was on. The next day I got in the car and started it, and it was on a different SAT station than it was when I turned it off. Then later it spit another CD out, and changed to AM radio.

It's under warranty, so I'm just looking for the time to take it in, and in the mean time, tonight, I started the car and the audio **** won't adjust the volume, and it won't turn the unit off if I push it. It's unresponsive. And you know when you change volume, the little black indicator drops down on the navigation screen and tells you the volume...it's totally black. No letters or numbers.

So, I was wondering if there is an easy way to reboot the computer system that controls all of this. There doesn't seem to be any problem with the navigation system, it's just the stereo system, but also some of the environment controls, which are on the same panel, have an effect.

So I guess I just want to reset it to see if that can save me a trip into the dealership.

Thanks,

Lincoln
Old 03-25-12, 09:06 AM
lincland
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input. I'll take it in and see what they way, and let you know.
Old 03-25-12, 02:22 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

As detailed as the QI that these vehicle goes through, a few still slips on the crack.
Old 09-07-12, 02:18 PM
DrewGS350
Instructor

My wife just began to notice a similar problem. Listening to FM1 and all of a sudden to radio will switch to SAT or AM. Changed AC temp and the Radio changed to AM from FM1. taking it to the dealer next week.
Old 09-09-12, 06:24 PM
Road Rage
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Radio head unit must be replaced. This is an exchange part so they won't have one in stock. They'll confirm the complaint, record the small number on the front of your system to order the replacement and then have you come back a few days later to replace it. If under warranty that is.

If there are any discs stuck inside the unit the factory will remove them and ship them back.
Old 09-09-12, 07:02 PM
mac12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the radio swap-out about six months ago and have had a problem getting the XM straightened out. I had to call Sirus XM and get them to transfer my account to the repaired radio. About a week ago I lost the XM signal and called them and they said my account showed no radio on it. I gave them the radio ID number and they said it belonged to someone in Mass. After explaining again that the radio had been traded out they are supposed to be sending me a rebate check(it could go the previous radio owner in Mass.). They also gave me a six month promotional deal so we'll see where this goes. So I'm saying that Lexus repairs the radios and swaps them out. Try your best to get it straightened out with XM. Good luck.
Old 09-10-12, 06:12 AM
Cruzer1
Driver School Candidate

I had the exact same problem where my audio system would suddenly cycle through all of the modes and spit any loaded CD out. Some days it would happen multiple times, other times it would go weeks without doing it. I ended up taking the car to the dealership and they replaced the head unit which solved the problem.
Old 09-14-12, 06:59 PM
Quatro40
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine was doing the same thing after the trial period of the XM Satellite radio trial expired but all those kinks went away after I subscribed to the service and they haven't returned.

Last edited by Quatro40; 09-14-12 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-15-12, 09:27 AM
mac12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quatro40
Mine was doing the same thing after the trial period of the XM Satellite radio trial expired but all those kinks went away after I subscribed to the service and they haven't returned.
You might want to get the radio exchanged before the warranty runs out.
Old 09-15-12, 07:25 PM
ELITech
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mac12
I had the radio swap-out about six months ago and have had a problem getting the XM straightened out. I had to call Sirus XM and get them to transfer my account to the repaired radio. About a week ago I lost the XM signal and called them and they said my account showed no radio on it. I gave them the radio ID number and they said it belonged to someone in Mass. After explaining again that the radio had been traded out they are supposed to be sending me a rebate check(it could go the previous radio owner in Mass.). They also gave me a six month promotional deal so we'll see where this goes. So I'm saying that Lexus repairs the radios and swaps them out. Try your best to get it straightened out with XM. Good luck.
Typically, the dealer will take care of this. We have a number to call for transfer services. We provide them with all information, and service gets to transferred to new radio, without any hiccups for you.

Sorry you had the trouble
Old 09-20-12, 06:04 PM
DrewGS350
Instructor

Took it to the dealer last Thursday and they kept the car until yesterday. They replaced the radio and rear motor for the tail gate as it was making a knocking sound and completed the recall service on the accelerator. So far all is well.
Old 08-17-13, 03:49 PM
Billyray
Driver School Candidate

Cool Poltergiest in Radio

Yep. Had the same problem, has been getting worse, especially if car interior is hot (live in the desert). Took a video with my phone, took it to Desert Lexus, the service rep took one look and then checked the door panel. Said "2010? oh yeah we have to replace the radio." Unit arrived I'm going in Tuesday for the replacement. I'll update later.
Old 08-19-13, 12:49 AM
TheSnowman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow Same down under

Originally Posted by Cruzer1
I had the exact same problem where my audio system would suddenly cycle through all of the modes and spit any loaded CD out. Some days it would happen multiple times, other times it would go weeks without doing it. I ended up taking the car to the dealership and they replaced the head unit which solved the problem.
Exactly same thing down here in Australia. My wife took it in and they checked it, will order new head unit, glad we got the 4 year extended warranty

Quick Reply: Misbehaving Audio System