RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

ROUTINE Service advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-12, 04:51 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Bobroob, that's outrageous if you look at the link in my post above (#23). And TriCounty? You could do better.

Edit: Sorry, I should have included the link for the 450h. The price is even better:

http://xws.xtime.com/xmmmenu/?varian...estimate=false

Plus $10 off with a coupon:

http://www.lexusofbridgewater.com/Vi...01200933443856

Last edited by kitlz; 03-18-12 at 05:05 AM.
Old 03-19-12, 03:05 AM
Bobroob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happy: I took your advice and then ordered the two air filters from Sewell
Anita: Then I saw the link that you posted! Thanks, that is eye opening at one-third what I was quoted.

Last edited by Bobroob; 03-19-12 at 03:08 AM.
Old 03-19-12, 10:35 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

I got a price of over $300 for the 15K service in Mobile and they were not going to change out the air filters only back blow them. Took the car to a Toyota dealer for the tire rotation and order the filters and wiper blades from Sewell for less than $60. Took less than 30 min to changes out both filters and the blades.
Old 03-19-12, 11:21 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobroob
For 15,000 mile service, Tri County Lexus in NJ quoted me $319. Should I cancel my appointment and instead go the DIY route? The 10,000 mile service included an oil change.
I was quoted roughly the same price for my 15K service, and I was astounded . They wanted to change the battery in my key ($5 maybe?), clean the cabin filter (no parts), rotate the tires (Discount Tires does it for free), tighten the driveshaft bolts, and do some "inspections. Oh, and turn off the "oil maintenance required" light, and check the mat instalation. They SAID they were going to check the alignment, but that isn't in the maintenance guide. All told, it should cost maybe $160, giving them the benefit of an extra hour of labor, and including an alignment.

I talked to the Service Manager, and was told that they "regularly shop the competition for premium brands", and their prices are comparable. As an FYI-I'm pretty sure that BMW, Audi, Mercedes, MINI, and VW all include free scheduled maintenance, including consumables such as brake pads and windshield wipers. He must have meant Infiniti and Acura. He did point out that they routinely send coupons for 10% off in the mail. He was completely unconcerned when I told him I would be using 3rd party service providers for everything except warranty work. I guess enough people pay the price without questioning, that it doesn't matter if he loses my business.

Why is it acceptable for "premium brands" to absolutely gouge their customers for service? Paying an extra 100% of a reasonable price just seems wrong, to me. Especially when I paid extra for the "premium brand" in the first place!

Just for full disclosure - I have 2 Lexus cars (would that be Lexi?). I love everything about them EXCEPT the price for service and parts. I'm just glad I don't have an out of warranty BMW!

OK. I'm off my soap box, now. Deep breath .....

Last edited by User 41924; 03-19-12 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-19-12, 01:13 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

HTML Code:
Why is it acceptable for "premium brands" to absolutely gouge their customers for service? Paying an extra 100% of a reasonable price just seems wrong, to me. Especially when I paid extra for the "premium brand" in the first place!

Let the buyer beware. It is like anything else in life you never have to pay their price if someone else would do it for less.
Old 03-19-12, 01:24 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zmanou812
Replace engine oil with 0W-20 oil; replace oil filter
reset maintenance reminder light
Rotate tires
Visually inspect brake pads, calipers and rotors
Check installation of driver’s floor mat
Road-test vehicle
One can do all of the above if you know how to turn a wrench

I am glad I enjoy tooling around with my cars.
Old 03-19-12, 01:31 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by billy44bo

Let the buyer beware. It is like anything else in life you never have to pay their price if someone else would do it for less.
Here lays the problem.
Working people today are to busy making a living, and most don't bother to check around.
Old 03-19-12, 03:33 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobroob
Happy: I took your advice and then ordered the two air filters from Sewell
Anita: Then I saw the link that you posted! Thanks, that is eye opening at one-third what I was quoted.
Are you close to that dealer? I guess it would make sense if you don't have free tire rotation from tire stores coz that would be the important thing. It won't make sense to drive from PA to NJ just for that service. The other services like filter change, it's a DIY and you don't need to change your key fob battery that often.
Old 03-19-12, 07:29 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

BTW radial tires are never "rotated". The proper sequence is back to front, front to back not rotated as was done many years ago.
Old 03-19-12, 08:07 PM
ggravant
Driver

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
BTW radial tires are never "rotated". The proper sequence is back to front, front to back not rotated as was done many years ago.
You mean directional radial tires, right?
Old 03-20-12, 07:16 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

It's called tire rotation unless you're taking it literally. It's important to have even wear of your tire for lots of reason.
Old 03-21-12, 12:36 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ggravant
You mean directional radial tires, right?
The tires which came with my Lexus which is Michelin Latitude is unidirectional. Then it can not be rotate to the other side. I buy tires in sets of four so I am not really that concern.

(I double check and went to the Michelin site but I couldn't find any info on it being uni or multi-directional. I suppose for marketing purposes they will claim it is both. The tire pattern looks symmetrical giving credence to it being multi.)

Last edited by LeoDLion; 03-21-12 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-21-12, 12:54 PM
ggravant
Driver

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
The tires which came with my Lexus which is Michelin Latitude is unidirectional. Then it can not be rotate to the other side. I buy tires in sets of four so I am not really that concern.

(I double check and went to the Michelin site but I couldn't find any info on it being uni or multi-directional. I suppose for marketing purposes they will claim it is both. The tire pattern looks symmetrical giving credence to it being multi.)
Well my point was that you need to rotate tires front to back only if they are directional, otherwise you can cross rotate them to the other side of the car. All you have to do is look on the sidewall and check to see if the word "Rotation" along with an arrow is present. If so - then you just need to make sure they rotate in that direction when you are moving forward.
Old 03-21-12, 03:23 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ggravant
Well my point was that you need to rotate tires front to back only if they are directional, otherwise you can cross rotate them to the other side of the car. All you have to do is look on the sidewall and check to see if the word "Rotation" along with an arrow is present. If so - then you just need to make sure they rotate in that direction when you are moving forward.
I got you.
Old 03-26-12, 07:25 AM
zmanou812
Driver School Candidate

Let me tell you another reason to DIY your own cars.
My wife drives a nissan Hybrid Altima,
Now mind you I never have lifted the hood on this car, she has gone to the dealer since new.
Well the last time in service the bill was in the 350 range and I questioned her on it.
The bill stated they rotated tires checked this, topped of that and a oil change nothing to equal
$100 never mind $300 so I decide to look under the hood and see how hard this would be to do myself from now on.
Under the hood was an oily mess, spilled oil and dirt all over the plastic covers and half the push pins not in place underneith the car is an cross member that had dirt and oil on top
just a real sloppy mess, when I pulled the dip stick the oil was black and had a smell to it.
I was pissed because this is the dealer that has never kept an appointment since the car was new and always backed up and late.
I mean she'd have an appointment for and oil change at 9am and go back 2 hours later and they haven't even touch the car yet so I was primed , locked and loaded.
To top it off the car still vibrated on the way back to the dealer.
They just said they were sorry and would do it again for no charge, yea right !
I went to another dealer to have it all documented that nothing was done and had to get redone
and yes I paid again but I wanted the record against the first dealer.

So sometime doing your maintance yourself is worth even more than the dealer charges,
You know what products your getting, and you can keep an eye on everything yourself.

Quick Reply: ROUTINE Service advice