RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Why no dual exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-12, 06:44 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

I just want dual exhaust FOR LOOK. Now, the F-Sport front look sporty and mean, let have the rear end look sporty as well.
Old 04-28-12, 09:15 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

The weight of a ping pong ball was not given.
Jim - funny, thanks for the levity.

For reference :
weight 2.7 grams or .0952396973 ounces and since Biff may have been referring to diameter.
diameter 40mm or 1.57 inches

Regarding this discussion - I'd prefer no exhaust pipe, let alone dual. Prefer a clean look on an RX of no tailpipe(s).
Old 04-28-12, 09:25 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

You're welcome, and it's still early in the day. The cork is still in the 'red'
Originally Posted by DunWkg
Jim - funny, thanks for the levity.

For reference :
weight 2.7 grams or .0952396973 ounces and since Biff may have been referring to diameter.
diameter 40mm or 1.57 inches

Regarding this discussion - I'd prefer no exhaust pipe, let alone dual. Prefer a clean look on an RX of no tailpipe(s).
Old 04-28-12, 01:45 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I do suppose using a ping pong ball is better than the old days...a potato.
Old 04-28-12, 01:57 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

In the 'Old Days' potatoes were for the school bus exhaust. Just make sure you wern't behind it if it did manage to crank
Originally Posted by DunWkg
I do suppose using a ping pong ball is better than the old days...a potato.
Old 04-10-13, 10:40 PM
dac57
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I want is a Stainless Steel exhaust tip on my 2010 RX 350
Old 04-13-13, 07:57 PM
gaylonw
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 1990 LS 400 had stainless steel dual exhaust when I bought it new....

Originally Posted by dac57
All I want is a Stainless Steel exhaust tip on my 2010 RX 350
I believe that duals would look great and they would be much sportier than nothing stainless coming out of the rear of my new F Sport.
IMHO, in lieu of duals, Lexus could have atleast offered a TRD CAT back exhaust on the F Sport.
It would sound better, and look better, pronounced sportier.
My 2007 FJ Cruiser TRD came with the TRD CAT back exhaust as part of it's sport upgrade package.
When I bought my 2012 FJ Trail Team Edition, the TRD CAT was not offered as part of the package, so I added it.
Likewise, I would have added it on the F Sport as a single or a dual had it been offered.
And when I bought a LS 400 new in 1990 and it had duals, and they looked great.
The F Sport is much sportier than the LS 400 was in 1990 when I bought it.......gmWhy no dual exhaust?-rear.jpg
Old 04-14-13, 06:11 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

For the most part dual exhaust tips seen behind newer cars are just that, only the tail end tips.
One manifold either side of the engine connected to a common "Y" pipe. Gases routed through a convertor,muffer & possibly a resonator as well. Two pipes leaving the last device & exiting into the air with a pair of chrome or stainless tips.

A genuine dual exhaust would require elimination of the "Y" pipe, two separate convertors,mufflers,resonators two separate O2 sensors etc....all the way to the rear. Physical space limitations come into play as well as cost to design & build.

I find our RX engine is a real screamer as stock. Plenty of power with a torque curve nice & low in the RPM range. These little cars are quite heavy don't forget. HP..........? Unless racing these things the average driver will never take advantage of the full rated HP. It's the torque you feel in the seat of your pants when you mash the pedal.

My old Buick has a pushrod 5.7l V8 & dual exhaust . Either side has an exhaust manifold, a head pipe, muffler & a tail pipe & no emissions. These engines were designed to stop/start Grandma's big ole Electra 225 in traffic so torque was a prime consideration. Dual exhaust offered a cost-effective way to move more air in/out of the engine.That said, they are light years behind current overhead cam computer controlled engines.
Old 04-14-13, 02:37 PM
joecompute
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its probably the target market...

Much as many guys here try to avoid noticing, the RX is typically a "Girls Car" - rather than the macho "Guys Car" that the ES...er...GS....er.. LS... er ...BMW is! Since the Duals on many similar "City SUV's" are actually "fakes" - ie just for the looks (since they are single pipes ahead of the rear differential), it probably makes no difference in performance. Sure it looks better, but the thing is expensive enough already. Anyway, most target drivers are probably concerned with having two well defined headlights instead...... Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!
Old 04-14-13, 02:59 PM
AconRX
Rookie

If you take a look at the new MDX coming out this year, Acura has eliminated the dual exhaust look (taking a cue from Lexus?) Same with the new MB ML series, the dual exhaust is no longer visible leaving this only on the ML AMG so there appears to be a shift in the industry to leave this out although if I did have a RX F Sport I would love for it to have a dual exhaust with a more pronounced sound. My mother-in-law new ML has the dual exhaust hidden but it does make a nice growling sound.
Attached Thumbnails Why no dual exhaust?-2014-acura-mdx-rear-at-new-york-auto-show.jpg-and-maxw-630.jpg  
Old 05-09-13, 04:44 PM
rmhipo
Rookie

I slapped a dual stainless steel tip on my 350 and called it a day! Let me know what you guys think:
Attached Thumbnails Why no dual exhaust?-lex-exhaust-small.jpg  
Old 05-11-13, 10:52 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking Looks good!

Originally Posted by rmhipo
I slapped a dual stainless steel tip on my 350 and called it a day! Let me know what you guys think:
Those duals look good!

Old 05-12-13, 10:09 AM
rmhipo
Rookie

[QUOTE=StillLine;7933330]Those duals look good!

Lol! Nice work! Not bad looking...but a little too much for my taste. I like the subtle look. But I know it comes down to personal preference.

Old 05-12-13, 06:07 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Dual Exhaust

Originally Posted by rmhipo
Lol! Nice work! Not bad looking...but a little too much for my taste. I like the subtle look. But I know it comes down to personal preference.

Old 05-12-13, 10:51 PM
rmhipo
Rookie

Originally Posted by StillLine
I think this is what the O.P. had in mind.

StillLine, That definitely looks better to me. More subtle.

Quick Reply: Why no dual exhaust?