RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 12-15-14, 12:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Homelink Not Working with Chamberlain/LiftMaster Security+ 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-17, 06:27 PM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Rufusshaw
This was so very helpful. I created an account to say thank you. Method number 3 worked for me. Took some time but I saw the fast blink and then saw the slow blink. Perfect, thank you Jerome!
What year is yours? Mine is a 2011 and I can NOT get it to learn. It's infuriating!!!!
Old 07-09-17, 06:39 PM
Rufusshaw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ColAngus
What year is yours? Mine is a 2011 and I can NOT get it to learn. It's infuriating!!!!
Yeah I cant believe it actually worked. Mine is a 2010 RX 350 and the Chamberline garage door opener a 2007. I did the #3 option first, and it seemed crazy, but I got the fast flashes and then the slow flashes and it worked!!! Crazy!
Old 07-09-17, 07:55 PM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rufusshaw
Yeah I cant believe it actually worked. Mine is a 2010 RX 350 and the Chamberline garage door opener a 2007. I did the #3 option first, and it seemed crazy, but I got the fast flashes and then the slow flashes and it worked!!! Crazy!
Good! You've given me some faith. I'm gonna try my 2011 again.
Old 09-22-17, 06:58 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

I never got mine to work. From the sounds of it, Lift Master and Chamberlain changed their accessibility with HomeLink somtime after 2011. My Lexus is a 2011 while my Lift Master door opener is from 2013.
It appears that if your vehicle is '11 or older, AND, your opener is '12 or newer, there is nothing you can do except go buy an additional piece of hardware that allows your "old" Home Link to communicate with your new opener...
FML!
Old 09-22-17, 12:05 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I went through this last year with our '10. Chamberlain sent us a relay that plugged into the AC outlet for the door opener @ No Charge.
Program the car the operate the relay & the relay will operate the door.
Old 04-11-18, 07:16 PM
repoman77
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Homelink rolling code "solution" (Wayne Dalton garage door opener)

Signed up here while scouring what feels like the entire Internet for a solution to why my 2015 RX350's Homelink wouldn't complete the rolling code portion of initialization. I tried the many solutions I read here (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ity-2-0-a.html) and elsewhere, but none of them worked for me. I think I finally figured out the solution by accident, and I wanted to share it with anyone else who is stuck in the same boat that I recently escaped from.

Short answer: There is a random timing that happens during the rolling code programming that mostly leads to failure, but which will eventually lead to success if you try enough times. I wrote "solution" in quotes in the thread title since trying two dozen times feels at best like a workaround, not an actual "solution."

Read on if you want to know a long answer. First, let me describe my problem symptoms -- if your symptoms are different, then you probably have a different problem than I had...

After resetting my Homelink buttons, all three Homelink buttons correctly went into the slow blink mode (i.e., they were ready to be programmed by my remote). When I pushed and held the Homelink button while simultaneously pushing my working remote's button, the Homelink buttons correctly went to fast flash mode (i.e., they were matched to my remote, but still needed to be programmed to the garage door opener's rolling code). At this point, you are supposed to push the "learn" button on your garage door opener, then push then release the fast blinking Homelink button 2 or 3 times for about 2 seconds. That's the step that wasn't working for me... the Homelink button stayed in fast flash mode, and it could not open the garage door.

As I said in the short answer, repeating that last step two dozen times finally led to the Homelink button working.

If you're a glutton for punishment, you can continue to read more gory details of how I got my Homelink to work...

As I said, I tried many different "solutions" posted by Homelink owners who also escaped their boats of Homelink frustration. These "solutions" often said things like "don't hold the button too long," or "only button 3 works," or "be sure to hold the button until the Homelink light stops flashing." I now believe that these well meaning posters were fooled into thinking that the last random variation they tried actually "caused" their success, when in reality, the "solution" was the fact that they tried one more time and happened to get lucky. This is why so many subsequent posters sadly reply that the supposed fix didn't work for them.

After quite a number of failed attempts, I decided to reset my garage door opener to see what happens when I reprogrammed my working remotes to talk to it again. When I reprogrammed my working remote, I observed that the opener has a light that comes on solid when I pushed the "learn" button, and that light would briefly go out then flash once or twice when I successfully resynced my old garage door remote.

In contrast, when I attempted to sync a Homelink button, I observed that the solid "learn" light would immediately go to continuous fast flashing mode while I held the Homelink button that I was trying to program. One random time, though, the garage door opener almost triggered (the motor started, but then stopped before opening the door). That gave me the hope to make a lot of additional attempts to see if I could exceed that near miss. I got my second lucky break in this long exercise in frustration when I found that I could reach the learn button from the driver's seat through my sun roof by using a long stick. I sat there and repeated the experiment over and over -- push the learn button, push the Homelink button, see fast flashing, repeat -- and after perhaps two dozen attempts, I finally saw the light go out, and the next Homelink press opened the door!

Oddly, the working Homelink button still fast flashes when opening the door. I believe the written procedure says it would turn into solidly lit. Maybe that discrepancy suggests that my procedure didn't cause the correct handshake between the Homelink and the opener, but in the end, all I care about is that the Homelink opens the frickin' garage door.

Anyhow, just wanted to post this in case it helps some of the many other Homelink owners who continue to complain that they can't get theirs to work.

(FYI, I had this very same problem with my 2000 Lexus GS300 and the same Wayne Dalton garage door opener. I worked with a very helpful tech in Wayne Dalton's customer support, but we never got that Homelink to work. At that time, he concluded that Homelink in 2000 still had some bugs that were leading to my failure, so moving to a 15 years newer Homelink led me to try again. I now suspect that this "solution" would have worked on that car, too. And I wonder if it also works for garage door openers besides Wayne Dalton.)
The following users liked this post:
ColAngus (07-31-23)
Old 12-07-18, 07:16 PM
chas410
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Homelink problem fixed

I just wanted to put this out there as a tip with a problem I had with the garage door open/close feature on the Homelink in my 2015 RX350. I have a Chamberlain garage door opener. Everything was working fine yesterday with the Homelink. That evening I decided to change out the two 60 watt LED light bulbs that had been in my opener for about a year for some brighter 100 watt LED bulbs. The next day I pushed the button on the Homelink to open the garage door and backed out the car. When I tried to close the door it would not shut. Not having time to mess with it I got out of the car and pushed the button on the wall to close the door. Later when I return I pushed the button on the Homelink the door opened like normal. But when I pushed the button again it would not close. I thought the Homelink in my RX350 was going bad. I tried the Homelink on my wife's Lexus and it opened and closed the door fine. Then it dawned on me that maybe the light being on after opening the door that the higher power LED could be causing an issue. I removed the 100 watt LEDs and put back in the 60 watt LEDs,. Problem solved. I had caused my own problem. I have read that some LED lights (not all) can contain an LED driver that emits too much electromagnetic interference (like radio waves) and cause some interferences. Hope this may help someone else.
Old 06-13-19, 06:58 AM
Subiaco
Driver School Candidate

Default My 2012 Lexus RX450h will not link with my Liftmaster garage door opener.

Just got this vehicle, followed the usual attempts at linking the buttons to the Liftmaster opener. No luck. Took car to Lexus who advised that the software is not compatible with the garage remote!
Now what do I do? Not sure whether this is something that can be upgraded. I will try Lexus Canada.
Old 06-13-19, 09:36 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Subiaco
Just got this vehicle, followed the usual attempts at linking the buttons to the Liftmaster opener. No luck. Took car to Lexus who advised that the software is not compatible with the garage remote!
Now what do I do? Not sure whether this is something that can be upgraded. I will try Lexus Canada.
Please check with the garage door manufacturer too. Home Link made a modification and newer garage door openers may not work with vehicles with older Home Link sending unit.
example: Chamberlain-Homelink-Compatibility
Before parting with cash. please verify that is the part you need.

I had to purchase similar thing for my new Craftsman garage door opener.
Note: Do not rely on your previous programming process with this unit. Simply follow the enclosed instruction word for word.

Salim
Old 06-15-19, 05:44 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Subiaco
This is what I had to use to make mine work. Easy install.

Amazon Amazon
Old 06-15-19, 08:08 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by iolmaster
This is what I had to use to make mine work. Easy install.

https://www.amazon.com/Liftmaster-85...s%2C129&sr=8-2
Yes. That is what I purchased too.

Salim
Old 07-11-19, 11:39 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

I haven't had time to read all the posts, but I too had a problem reprograming my 2011 RX to a relatively new Lift Master Model 8355W.

If anyone pressed the two outside buttons in the car for more than 20 seconds, it wipes out the HomeLink codes relative to the Lift Master. When my garage door was installed, the installer included the HomeLink repeater, but I forgot and misplaced the HomeLink remote (all black) that came with the HomeLink repeater. This was my problem.

Anyway, I bought another repeater with a new remote (all black) with HomeLink printed on the outside. I paired the car with the black remote, with the ignition on, by holding the remote near the car button, pushed and held the remote and the car button at the same time and waiting for the car to do its thing, which is: 1. rapid flash, 2. steady light, 3. slow flash, 4. rapid flash. This takes about 30 seconds. Let go of everything. 5. Tap the "learn button" on the Lift Master, you should get a yellow light. Go into the car and press the overhead button, wait for a click from the Lift Master. Let go. Your car button should now open the door. I hope this helps. It sure helped me.

Tips: You can't program more than one button for the same opener. It only remembers the last button you programmed.
I had no problem with an LED light in the Lift Master. The installer said some bulbs do, and some don't.
I did not have to have the car outside the garage, as some have said, but I did have to have the ignition on.
Keep your HomeLink remote (the black one) with your Lift Master instructions in a safe place. It's the only thing that will program your car.
The installer said some older Lexus HomeLinks weaken over time but does not know why.
Repeaters are available from HomeLink for $25 + $11 shipping. Amazon $26, +?
Hope this helps.
Ray A.

Ray A.

Last edited by raylor4; 07-11-19 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-12-19, 07:54 AM
LexusHoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jerome. I had the same problem with my overhead door when we bought our new Lexus. Was driving me nuts. Finally found out that the problem was the overhead door. It only takes 7 devices max and we already had 7 on it. Once I cleared its memory, I was able to easily program all the remotes/home links needed. Try that, may work.. just another suggestion.
Old 06-02-21, 04:30 PM
eighties8
Driver School Candidate

Default 2010 RX350 Homelink won't connect!

I've been trying for the last 3 hours to get this to work to no avail. I cannot get the fast blinking light when attempting to sync my garage door remote to the car's homelink control. Here's the procedure I'm following:

1) Reset the car's homelink by holding the 1 and 3 homelink buttons until the solid red light blinks fast. Once that happens, I let go of the button

2) While holding the garage door opener remote about 1-3 inches from the car's homelink buttons, I'm simultaneously pressing the open button on the remote (the same one I use to open the garage door, although I have 3 total, 2 unused buttons on that remote) and at the same time, I'm pressing and holding the middle button on the homelink control panel. Holding both until they time out or connect.

When doing (2) above, the red light continues blinking slowly for about 60-90 seconds and then stops blinking and turns off.

There have been a few times (out of maybe a hundred tries of repeating 1-2 above) where the red light appears to sync to the remote by blinking fast. However, pressing that button after this happens (and holding it for a few seconds to insure the signal can get to the opener) has no effect.

After that, I think, OK, maybe now I need to put the opener in learning mode, so I hit the learn button on the opener and then get back in the car within the 30 seconds timeframe and hold the homelink button down 2 seconds, for 3 attempts. From what I've read, it should open the garage door after the 3rd press, but nothing happens.

I'm at a loss. I've done this EXACT SAME procedure on 2 of our 4 cars today and it works for two of them (a 2010 Honda Pilot and a 2012 BMW X3). However, on this 2010 RX350 and on our 2008 Intiniti G35, I get the same results as above, that little red homelink light never blinks fast and eventually times out and goes off and on the rare occasion when it does blink fast, its apparently a false positive.

On the cars that work as expected, I DO NOT have to put the opener in learning mode, so I think that my opener is probably not a "rolling code" model, so probably can eliminate that as a potential problem.

Help! Any thoughts what to try next?

Last edited by eighties8; 06-02-21 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-02-21, 05:13 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 201 Likes on 133 Posts

I have a chamberlain garage opener and I could t get it to work that way. I had to hit the learn button on the garage opener twice then hit the button on the car to program it. I got it to work on three cars but I could t get it to work on my wife’s 2020 BMW X2 so I gave up on that one.

Quick Reply: Homelink Not Working with Chamberlain/LiftMaster Security+ 2.0