RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Picking up 2012 RX 350 tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-11, 09:27 AM
kartah
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking up 2012 RX 350 tomorrow!

Hi Guys, I'm new here and super excited to be picking up my RX tomorrow. Thanks for all the useful info and tips thus far!

The dealer just offered me something called the Premium Prep Multishield protection for my brand new car. It's suppose to be for new cars only as it's a program that lasts for five years. Basically it applies a "bond" to the paint of the car so that it's better protect against all elements. Also it guarantees against any "stains", say from bird droppings. Program includes fixing any small dents, dings, windshield cracks and leather cracks for the five years.

Has anyone heard of this program and if it's worth it?
Old 11-15-11, 10:29 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats on the new ride Pics or it didn't happen

Volvo has a similar protection plan they pitch although dings aren't covered. It's called Enduroshield. My wife took it for $500 since it covers any leather cracks, fading, pen marks, stains, etc (she ha a 2011 C70 convertible) as well as if she runs over any wet line paint. If they cannot remove the line paint they replace the fender wells and repaint what is needed. I don't buy the exterior protection hype about bonding and providing a showroom shine for 5 years. The leather fade is what convinced her to go with it. Do I think it was a bad idea? Meh. If she gets the feeling of security through it and they actually cover what they say they do then I say it's fine.
Old 11-15-11, 11:00 AM
kartah
Driver School Candidate

MX5 I know what you mean. I didn't pick up yet, but will post photos soon after I pick up. As for me, the part where they say it covers the dents and dings as well as the leather from cracks and windshield cracks got my attention. I guess I will have to see the fine prints when I go in to the dealership tomorrow. Just thought I get some opinions here first if someone already had this offer or took the offer from their dealership. Thanks!
Old 11-15-11, 12:29 PM
jamiec
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was offered to me when I bought my 2012 last month. I don't remember the cost off hand, but, I decided to pass. My insurance will cover my windshield, the RX leather is very soft (never had leather crack in my 2004 RX) so I would think cracking not probable so what you're left with is coverage for dings and dents. I had them put on the body side moulding and added the door edge guards to limit my dings and dents. On my 2004 RX in the 8 years I had it suffered one door dent so I didn't see the cost effectiveness in their warranty.
Old 11-15-11, 01:23 PM
onefastdoc
Driver School Candidate

I would save your money and get a 3M Clearbra for the front of your car. I've had those on several cars and it was probably the best investment I've made. The front bumper gets so trashed, but with a clearbra it looks almost new after 4 years.
Old 11-15-11, 05:09 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The ding insurance is somewhat usefull and I guess the windshield insurance might come in handy as well if your auto insuarnce does not cover it. Those paint protection are a big dealer profit generator. I had it done on one of my Lexus, it did protect the car for maybe 18 months or so, but you can do that by apply a coat a wax every so often. At that time, 7 years ago, the dealer wanted $600 for the paint protection, I talk them down to $300 and we agree, so there is a lot of room for bargaining. My last Lexus, I did not buy the paint protection and talk to a local body shop guy who was willing to do it $120, but I pass on the offer because the product did not live up to my expectation.
Old 11-15-11, 07:48 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Congrats on the new Lexus!
Old 11-16-11, 06:46 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by onefastdoc
I would save your money and get a 3M Clearbra for the front of your car. I've had those on several cars and it was probably the best investment I've made. The front bumper gets so trashed, but with a clearbra it looks almost new after 4 years.
I go tthe Rock Guard (3M Clear Bra) on my new RX and the wife's '11 Volvo C70. VERY worthwhile investment. Oh, also got door cup protectors as well to prevent ring scratches. I HATE those.
Old 11-16-11, 07:01 AM
kartah
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Mike! Thanks for all your input!
Old 11-16-11, 01:17 PM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MX, what are door cup protectors? I never heard the term. Thanks!
Old 11-16-11, 01:37 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

It's the same thing as the clear bra. Only they are pieces of the 3M plastic cut to fit your door cups. You can buy "universal" (read: cut yourself to fit) fit ones on EBay for about $15-30 depending on quality. Personally I would rather a professional installer do it and spend a little more money as well as make sure I get real 3M materialand not some knock off. They guy I use is awesome.

Here's an example. Once I can get my RX in for the additions I'll post some pics:

Old 11-21-11, 09:33 AM
kartah
Driver School Candidate

Here's a photo from this weekend. Also got the body side molding and splash guards on.

Old 11-21-11, 09:47 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

A city dweller with gated parking ??? Impressive

Looks good
Originally Posted by kartah
Here's a photo from this weekend. Also got the body side molding and splash guards on.

Old 11-21-11, 11:05 AM
kartah
Driver School Candidate

@ Cruiter, actually photo was taken at my friend's driveway where I installed the splash guards. I have an indoor garage to keep this baby.
Old 11-21-11, 12:20 PM
jamiec
Driver

@kartah.............I was thinking about adding the mud guards to my 2012 RX. Were they difficult to put on? Dealership said that they would have to remove the tires to put them on, sounded a little weird to me.

Quick Reply: Picking up 2012 RX 350 tomorrow!