RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

No Lights? Overhead Console

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-11, 02:04 PM
AlexB
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Go for it MEP. I couldn't figure out how to remove the entire console but maybe you can do it.
I gave it a try on my Canadian spec '11 since I'm trading it for a '12 and don't care too much if I damage it. There are two screws inside the sunglass holder - don't know how you get to them with the Enform button setup. Then the front section just pulls straight down - two push pins at each corner. The difficulty then becomes the wiring - there's a connector center left side, and another at the front for all the sensors behind the windshield. I didn't go any further than that though, just put it back, no scratches or marks on it.

Alex
Old 11-13-11, 02:18 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I don't have a sunglass holder. Instead it's the button for Safety Connect. I had the cover off when I replaced the dome lights but didn't see screws anywhere. I know there has to be some way to remove it. I might ask the dealer when I'm there on Wednesday.
Old 11-13-11, 08:57 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MEP7557
... I really don't have a hard time finding the button as that pin light guides me right to the button. I have the center button set for the garage door ...
This post got me thinking. I was out cleaning my car today and decided take another careful look at the Homelink buttons. Originally, I had set up my buttons with my large garage door on button #1 (this is the one where I park my Lexus), my overhead garage lights on button #2 and my smaller third stall garage door on button #3. I decided to put my most used function (the large garage door) on button #2 and my overhead garage lights on button #1. This made a really big difference and essentially solved the overhead lighting problem. Between the Homelink insignia (which you can feel) and the downlight (which you can see) there is zero guessing about where button #2 is located. In fact as you reach for it, the downlight will bounce off your finger tip and clearly illuminate button #2. With button#1 and button#3 there is invariably some hunting and guessing involved. But, with button #2 there is no confusion at all. In addition, I think that if I get used to going straight for button#2 this will help me locate my second most used button (#1) easier over time.

Thanks for the tip ... it makes sense to have your most used function on button #2. This is a clean enough solution that for me it would not make sense to modify my overhead console to add an LED on the button.

One other idea for Lexus ... why not have an option to have the red LED in the Homelink insignia ON when the car is running? Since the LED is already there, it seems like a modest fix that should be possible.

Last edited by UCSB; 11-13-11 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-13-11, 11:02 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess the pressure is on. I ordered the lights today, I wanted them in hand before I start this project.

Anita, let me know if you find out anything about removing the overhead console, don't what to break that puppy.
Old 11-14-11, 01:45 AM
bigdenis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MEP7557
I guess the pressure is on. I ordered the lights today, I wanted them in hand before I start this project.
*Slow claps*

Bravo!
Old 11-14-11, 04:54 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

This sounds like an excellent and workable solution to what "IS". No disassemble, re-assemble, wiring hassles, just re-program and drive on

Originally Posted by UCSB
This post got me thinking. I was out cleaning my car today and decided take another careful look at the Homelink buttons. Originally, I had set up my buttons with my large garage door on button #1 (this is the one where I park my Lexus), my overhead garage lights on button #2 and my smaller third stall garage door on button #3. I decided to put my most used function (the large garage door) on button #2 and my overhead garage lights on button #1. This made a really big difference and essentially solved the overhead lighting problem. Between the Homelink insignia (which you can feel) and the downlight (which you can see) there is zero guessing about where button #2 is located. In fact as you reach for it, the downlight will bounce off your finger tip and clearly illuminate button #2. With button#1 and button#3 there is invariably some hunting and guessing involved. But, with button #2 there is no confusion at all. In addition, I think that if I get used to going straight for button#2 this will help me locate my second most used button (#1) easier over time.

Thanks for the tip ... it makes sense to have your most used function on button #2. This is a clean enough solution that for me it would not make sense to modify my overhead console to add an LED on the button.

One other idea for Lexus ... why not have an option to have the red LED in the Homelink insignia ON when the car is running? Since the LED is already there, it seems like a modest fix that should be possible.
Old 11-14-11, 07:05 AM
rxsuperman
Driver

Originally Posted by UCSB

For those of you who only wants to operate one garage door, why not program Homelink buttons 1, 2, and 3 to open the same garage door to minimize pushing the wrong button in the dark.
Old 11-14-11, 07:55 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rxsuperman
For those of you who only wants to operate one garage door, why not program Homelink buttons 1, 2, and 3 to open the same garage door to minimize pushing the wrong button in the dark.
Tried when I first got the car, doesn't work. Programming the second button like the first, erases the first. Perhaps someone else got it to work?
Old 11-14-11, 07:55 AM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a few thoughts. Is the writing on the homelink button translucent? In other words if you put a light behind them will it show? Also, I had a similar experience with my 2008 CTS. Not only was there no light it came without a homelink system as it was an option in a package I did not get. In any case, in the Cadillac the entire console just pulls straight down. I got a homelink from a salvaged car on e-bay and put it in. Power was not an issue and is easily tapped. I now have homelink but still no light.
Old 11-14-11, 05:12 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

I have a feeling the writing on the button will not illuminate but, maybe the light will come out around the edges of the buttons sort of highlighting them. We will see.
Old 11-16-11, 11:05 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

OK MEP, I asked one of the techs about removing the front dome light. He said after taking off the light cover, there should be two screws underneath. Then flip off the front part where the sunglass holder/Safety Connect button is. There should be another two screws. Remove them and it should be more easily accessible to get the whole dome light off. I'd try it myself but the weather isn't cooperating right now, maybe this weekend. Good luck.
Old 11-17-11, 06:35 AM
kwbuggy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Works on Canadian spec. cars

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Tried when I first got the car, doesn't work. Programming the second button like the first, erases the first. Perhaps someone else got it to work?
I reprogrammed my #2 button and then accidentally hit the #1 button last night. The garage door opened. According to the owner's manual there is a difference in the way we program Canadian spec. Homelinks so I guess this is just another one of the benefits of having a Canadian spec. car.
Old 11-21-11, 10:49 AM
PeterAG71
Driver School Candidate

MEP,
Let us know when you take it apart, I'm hoping someone can figure it out. I;m having no luck.

EVITEZE,
I agree that everyone knows the different car badges by now, but the explaination of the BMW symbol is...
The circular blue and white BMW logo or roundel is portrayed by BMW as the movement of an aircraft propeller, to signify the white blades cutting through the blue sky – an interpretation that BMW adopted for convenience in 1929, twelve years after the roundel was created. The emblem evolved from the circular Rapp Motorenwerke company logo, from which the BMW company grew, combined with the blue and white colours of the flag of Bavaria, reversed to produce the BMW roundel.
Old 11-23-11, 04:57 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

OK The lights came today. So now I guess I have to attempt this. Won't get to it until Sunday but I will take pics along the way. Everybody cross your fingers.

Happy Turkey Day.
Old 11-23-11, 05:05 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

We're rooting for you, MEP. You da man!

Quick Reply: No Lights? Overhead Console