RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 - Mid Cycle Refresh?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-11, 05:36 PM
JohnS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 - Mid Cycle Refresh?

Hi All,
I own a 2005 RX330. I am test driving a 2011 RX350 for the weekend. Over the last few hours I have developed a few thoughts about it but will summarize in one:
The 2011 does not seem that much better than my 2005. Yes the remote touch is nice and the more power is nice but it just does not seems a big leap forward - for what I was expecting.

As I also just got a 2011 ES350, which is benefitting from '10 MidCycle Refresh (MCR) so I have the benefit of the extras that Lexus put into the ES on the MCR.
  • So....what do you think Lexus will change with the MCR on the RX for the 2013 model year?
  • Do you think the MCR will change enough things to be worth waiting another year for?
Some things I want: touching any door handle can lock/unlock car like on my ES, LED DRLs like on the IS/CT, illumination of some of the switches, and a return of the sunglass holder.

Thanks, John
Old 10-14-11, 06:34 PM
JohnS
Driver

That is really too bad about the cost cutting on the door sensors. I have found them very useful on my '11 ES and that car is much less expensive than the RX.
Old 10-14-11, 06:47 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

John, to be fair, the ES only starts at about 2 thousand cheaper than the RX and the RX is a lot more car.

The thing about the RX is that it has traditionally not had a lot of refreshes that you could really tell. The 2007 refresh added the 3.5 engine, and that was basically it. It wasnt until 2009 that the chrome door handles came and the new wheel style. What Lexus usually does is make the premium packages cheaper to entice more people and to create better value.

i can see them adding more button illumination, but not much else.
Old 10-14-11, 07:42 PM
JohnS
Driver

The 2011 I am testing does not have chrome door handles - at least not on the outside. It does have most of the Comfort and Luxury items and is stickered near $49K.
My ES is similarly loaded and stickered for $43K which is a big difference IMO.

But I don't mean to have an ES vs. RX thread - both are great tools for their intended purpose and I do have both already. I mean this thread more as an RX to RX comparision and to help me make a decision about pulling the trigger on the 2012 now or to wait for MCR 2013.

I will say, perhaps unfairly, that the 2011 RX interior does not look/feel as premium as my 2011 ES interior which is surprising given the price differential.
Old 10-14-11, 08:43 PM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnS
... I mean this thread more as an RX to RX comparision and to help me make a decision about pulling the trigger on the 2012 now or to wait for MCR 2013.
Have you seen the buzz over the "2013" GS (see the threads on the GS - 4th Generation forum)? It will be out in February 2012.

When it was announced, Lexus stated they would be refreshing many of their product lines for the 2013 model year (can't find that quote at the moment). Beyond the spindle grill / new front end I would at least expect the new bigger and better wide aspect 12.3" display screen in the dash.

Timing-wise, I personally don't expect the 2013 RX until Sep-Oct 2012.
Old 10-14-11, 11:15 PM
RXSF

oh i didnt mean the 2011 had chrome door handles. I meant that for the 7 years that the 2genRX existed, all it got was chrome door handles, a new engine, and new wheels. thats it. So my post was about how little I think the 3gen RX is going to evolve.

Its also interesting that you feel the ES has a more luxurious interior. I wonder if its because of the new additions to the 2011 model...
Old 10-15-11, 04:38 AM
JohnS
Driver

Ok, now I understand what you mean. I think the ES has a nicer interior because of the more liberal use of bright work in the cabin and more soft touch surfaces.

Compared to my 2005 RX, the interior of the 2011 RX is nicer but not as much as I thought it would be.
Old 10-15-11, 04:43 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 162 Likes on 137 Posts

It's hard to compare the interior on the 2nd and 3rd gen. They have completely different layouts. I found the interior to be cavernous compared to my 330. The control placement is intuitive. The seats are comfortable after making a few adjustments.

As far as tweaks mid cycle, they'll most likely be minimal like RXSF said.
Old 10-15-11, 05:07 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

I believe the new RX's interior is a lot better than the previous gen as well. I had an 2007 for about 2 years, and if my memory is correct, the new one's front seats are a lot better, and so is the sound proofing. Also, I believe the new one rides and handles better as well. My two years old girl (at the time) did not like riding in the RX and picked the IS every single time we got to the garage. I think there are some reviews on CL that are in favor of the new RX.
Old 10-15-11, 06:02 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i have to disagree with John on the ES 350, it's my least favorite Lexus.
i'd rather be seen driving an IS 350 or a GS than an ES.
and my vote is on the current generation of RX 350. My brother has a Pebble Beach edition RX so i experience first hand the difference of the two generations.
Old 10-15-11, 08:15 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a feeling we won't see any major changes on the RX until 2015 .I was thinking they were going to update the headlights like the IS and add illuminated buttons like they did to a couple of the other models, didn't happen. Maybe for 2013. As long as it's a strong seller there is no incentive for Lexus to change it.
Old 10-15-11, 11:12 AM
RXSF

I dont want to turn this into an ES vs RX debate either because both are very good cars for the money.

A few things about the ES bother me and make the car seem entry level to me. For one, its the green backlighting behind buttons at night. The second is the cup holder shifter area. Specifically the wood there does not look real at all and on top of that, it doesnt match well with the gray plastic next to it. the third thing is that whole rounded dash design and along that note, the dash rubber/plastic is cavernous in that car with little to no design to it.

Also coming from an 2004 RX, I think the 3gen RX is a big step forward in making it more premium. I will admit the interior doors was a step back since it is missing a lot of wood and stitching pattern, but they seemed to have gotten mostly everything right on the new vehicle. You can see Lexus beginning to put better materials into the RX. The plastics have a very rich feel to them
Old 10-15-11, 12:01 PM
JohnS
Driver

Thanks for all of the input, I appreciate it.
Will let you know what we decide on the swap of the 2005 RX for the 2012 RX or wait for the 2013.
Old 10-16-11, 10:55 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't wait for any possible refresh. These premium vehicles are only new for a short time and like any car the design will age while other new options are introduced by other manufacturers. Waiting for small changes will only put you into an aging design. Traditionally, SUV's have been poor values ... so comparing them to a value leader like the ES will be frustrating. My daughter has gotten quotes on a new ES as low as $30,300 in the past year that she has been shopping. It is an amazing value.
Old 10-17-11, 07:22 AM
JohnS
Driver

Well...after a weekend of driving the 2011 RX350 my wife concluded it was not different enough from her 2005 RX330 to justify the cost of the new car at this time. She liked the remote touch, the keyless ignition, quicker acceleration, and the parking assist but not enough to exchange it for her current car.
I was surprised by just how similar it was from 2nd Gen to 3rd Gen - it rode virtually the same in our opinion.

I was disappointed by what was not included in the car - LED DRL, power folding mirrors, illuminated door sills (which she has today), and other smaller items. It is bad when a Kia comes stardard with more items than a Lexus at a much lower price.

Now...we drive a Lexus because we can and because of the prestige of owning them but it is frustrating to see other makers upping their game with features and Lexus not following suit.

So for now we will keep her 2005 RX and enjoy the 2011 ES as well. Many thanks to all who contributed their input, advice, and recommendations to this thread. It was a fun learning process.

John

Quick Reply: 2013 - Mid Cycle Refresh?