RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Electric Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-11, 02:18 PM
Sixtyplus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Brake Controller

Looking at a small travel trailer and it has electric brakes. Anyone have experience installing the controller for the electric brakes on a 2011 RX350. I have the towing package.
Old 08-18-11, 03:50 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No experience, sorry.

That being said, I'd be very hesitant to use the RX as a tow vehicle for it. I could be wrong but I don't think brakes are required/"needed" on trailers until they are >3500#. The max towing capacity of the RX in either FWD or AWD is 3500#. Remember though that max towing # is reduced based by the weight of cargo, occupants, and vehicle options...

Be careful but good luck
Old 08-18-11, 05:44 PM
Sixtyplus
Driver School Candidate

The trailer weighs 1900 pounds with 150 pounds tongue weight. Not sure why it has electric brakes, but it does so wanted to use them. We're going full circle. 35 years ago had a small pop up camper then travel trailer then three motor homes, last one a 35' A class. Sold it a couple of years ago and miss having something you can sleep in for a night or two so that's the idea behind small trailer. I can't remember ever seeing a Lexus towing a camper trailer but there is going to be one soon!!!!
Old 08-18-11, 06:32 PM
ecub
Driver

Originally Posted by Sixtyplus
The trailer weighs 1900 pounds with 150 pounds tongue weight. Not sure why it has electric brakes, but it does so wanted to use them. We're going full circle. 35 years ago had a small pop up camper then travel trailer then three motor homes, last one a 35' A class. Sold it a couple of years ago and miss having something you can sleep in for a night or two so that's the idea behind small trailer. I can't remember ever seeing a Lexus towing a camper trailer but there is going to be one soon!!!!
*LIKE*

That's towing in style
Old 08-21-11, 01:55 PM
natecrna
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sixtyplus
We just purchased a 2012 RX 350 AWD to pull a 19.5 foot travel trailer. The trailer was pulled by its previous owner with a 2006 RX 350 AWD. The trailer weighs 3200 pounds. He said "you won't break any speed records but It does well".
Anyone installed an electric brake box on an 3rd generation RX 350 AWD?

Thanks

Please don't make me fumble around with the install myself and document it on this forum.
Old 08-29-11, 06:58 AM
natecrna
Driver School Candidate

Bump

Any help on the install of the brake box would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Old 08-30-11, 05:05 AM
Sixtyplus
Driver School Candidate

Hey natecrna

Deal on trailer I was looking at fell through so have not installed brake controller yet but saw controllers listed at etrailer that state specific for year and model of Lexus. Probably not plug and play but hopefully they would have detailed instructions to install.

Good luck and please post how you make out.
Old 10-03-11, 08:51 AM
natecrna
Driver School Candidate

I got my 2012 RX 350 on Sept 30th. On Oct 1 I was installing a Draw-Tite class III hitch and brake controller.
The dealer wanted $500.00 plus parts to install just the hitch!
I bought the hitch and wiring harnesses for $250.00.
It took me 8hrs to do myself and I know what I'm doing!
The hitch install took all of 45 min. The time consuming part was the wiring for the brake box and trimming the appearance moulding.
I still haven't decided how I want to mount an RV 7 blade wiring harness to the back of the RX 350.
I'm a little vain and don't want it to stick out like a sore thumb.
If anyone is interested in the way I wired a brake controller let me know. It will be and extensive write up and I don't have time to write it out right now.

Happy RVing
Old 03-14-12, 07:18 AM
jim350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently purchased a 2012 RX 350 AWD with trailer towing package and dealer installed hitch. I have no intention of trying to install the brake controller and 7 pin wiring harness myself! I have only found one place in the Sacramento area that has a clue on how to do it. Their quote was $650. Seems a bit high but from your post, it sounds like it's pretty labor intensive. Do you have a photo of how you ended up mounting the 7 pin to the back of your RX?
Old 03-28-12, 11:46 AM
jim350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone else have some experience with this issue?

natecrn, are you out there?
Old 04-04-13, 01:24 PM
muggle
Driver School Candidate

Default 2013 RX 350 Brake controller?

Just bought a new 2013 RX. eTrailer.com does not show (and their rep. could not find) a compatible adapter for the Tekonsha P2 brake controller (same one I put on my 2011 GX 460). Anyone know what might work?
Old 04-04-13, 02:34 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

From what it looks, the brake controller needs +12V power, ground, brake input and it generates an output. All of them can be found in the trunk, behind the trunk liner, below the right tail light. The OEM 4-pin controller will be sitting there for those with towing prep package and the connector will be loose for those without.
I'm not sure what would be the best way to hook up the reverse lights on the 7-pin connector.
Running the controller wiring to the front may be a little challenging.
Old 04-06-13, 09:23 AM
muggle
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I'll discuss this with my dealer!
Old 05-09-13, 03:54 PM
bartorob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by natecrna
I got my 2012 RX 350 on Sept 30th. On Oct 1 I was installing a Draw-Tite class III hitch and brake controller.
The dealer wanted $500.00 plus parts to install just the hitch!
I bought the hitch and wiring harnesses for $250.00.
It took me 8hrs to do myself and I know what I'm doing!
The hitch install took all of 45 min. The time consuming part was the wiring for the brake box and trimming the appearance moulding.
I still haven't decided how I want to mount an RV 7 blade wiring harness to the back of the RX 350.
I'm a little vain and don't want it to stick out like a sore thumb.
If anyone is interested in the way I wired a brake controller let me know. It will be and extensive write up and I don't have time to write it out right now.

Happy RVing
I've already put the hitch and 4 pin harness in. How much more work is the break controller? Basically I pulled my tekonsha controller that was wired in to my previous TV and want to put it in my 2010 RX350.
Old 02-27-14, 07:19 AM
travlinman
Driver School Candidate

I realize this post is older, but I have recently purchased an RX 350 with the towing package.... haven't seen it yet as the delivery is today. I know my trailer has surge brakes and a 5 wire FLAT connector. I purchased a 4 Flat to 5 wire Flat adapter from Hopkins part # 47515. Requires connecting its separate 5th / BLUE wire to your reverse lights. Hoping this will be an easy job on the new car... well... new for us.

Quick Reply: Electric Brake Controller