ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015-212/)
-   -   Electric Brake Controller (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015/587560-electric-brake-controller.html)

Sixtyplus 08-18-11 02:18 PM

Electric Brake Controller

Looking at a small travel trailer and it has electric brakes. Anyone have experience installing the controller for the electric brakes on a 2011 RX350. I have the towing package.

BurgBoxstr 08-18-11 03:50 PM

No experience, sorry.

That being said, I'd be very hesitant to use the RX as a tow vehicle for it. I could be wrong but I don't think brakes are required/"needed" on trailers until they are >3500#. The max towing capacity of the RX in either FWD or AWD is 3500#. Remember though that max towing # is reduced based by the weight of cargo, occupants, and vehicle options...

Be careful but good luck :)

Sixtyplus 08-18-11 05:44 PM

The trailer weighs 1900 pounds with 150 pounds tongue weight. Not sure why it has electric brakes, but it does so wanted to use them. We're going full circle. 35 years ago had a small pop up camper then travel trailer then three motor homes, last one a 35' A class. Sold it a couple of years ago and miss having something you can sleep in for a night or two so that's the idea behind small trailer. I can't remember ever seeing a Lexus towing a camper trailer but there is going to be one soon!!!!

ecub 08-18-11 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sixtyplus (Post 6618652)
The trailer weighs 1900 pounds with 150 pounds tongue weight. Not sure why it has electric brakes, but it does so wanted to use them. We're going full circle. 35 years ago had a small pop up camper then travel trailer then three motor homes, last one a 35' A class. Sold it a couple of years ago and miss having something you can sleep in for a night or two so that's the idea behind small trailer. I can't remember ever seeing a Lexus towing a camper trailer but there is going to be one soon!!!!

*LIKE*

That's towing in style :)

natecrna 08-21-11 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sixtyplus (Post 6618652)

We just purchased a 2012 RX 350 AWD to pull a 19.5 foot travel trailer. The trailer was pulled by its previous owner with a 2006 RX 350 AWD. The trailer weighs 3200 pounds. He said "you won't break any speed records but It does well".
Anyone installed an electric brake box on an 3rd generation RX 350 AWD?

Thanks

Please don't make me fumble around with the install myself and document it on this forum.

natecrna 08-29-11 06:58 AM

Bump

Any help on the install of the brake box would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Sixtyplus 08-30-11 05:05 AM

Hey natecrna

Deal on trailer I was looking at fell through so have not installed brake controller yet but saw controllers listed at etrailer that state specific for year and model of Lexus. Probably not plug and play but hopefully they would have detailed instructions to install.

Good luck and please post how you make out.

natecrna 10-03-11 08:51 AM

I got my 2012 RX 350 on Sept 30th. On Oct 1 I was installing a Draw-Tite class III hitch and brake controller.
The dealer wanted $500.00 plus parts to install just the hitch!
I bought the hitch and wiring harnesses for $250.00.
It took me 8hrs to do myself and I know what I'm doing!
The hitch install took all of 45 min. The time consuming part was the wiring for the brake box and trimming the appearance moulding.
I still haven't decided how I want to mount an RV 7 blade wiring harness to the back of the RX 350.
I'm a little vain and don't want it to stick out like a sore thumb.
If anyone is interested in the way I wired a brake controller let me know. It will be and extensive write up and I don't have time to write it out right now.

Happy RVing

jim350 03-14-12 07:18 AM

I recently purchased a 2012 RX 350 AWD with trailer towing package and dealer installed hitch. I have no intention of trying to install the brake controller and 7 pin wiring harness myself! I have only found one place in the Sacramento area that has a clue on how to do it. Their quote was $650. Seems a bit high but from your post, it sounds like it's pretty labor intensive. Do you have a photo of how you ended up mounting the 7 pin to the back of your RX?

jim350 03-28-12 11:46 AM

Anyone else have some experience with this issue?

natecrn, are you out there?

muggle 04-04-13 01:24 PM

2013 RX 350 Brake controller?

Just bought a new 2013 RX. eTrailer.com does not show (and their rep. could not find) a compatible adapter for the Tekonsha P2 brake controller (same one I put on my 2011 GX 460). Anyone know what might work?

vlad_a 04-04-13 02:34 PM

From what it looks, the brake controller needs +12V power, ground, brake input and it generates an output. All of them can be found in the trunk, behind the trunk liner, below the right tail light. The OEM 4-pin controller will be sitting there for those with towing prep package and the connector will be loose for those without.
I'm not sure what would be the best way to hook up the reverse lights on the 7-pin connector.
Running the controller wiring to the front may be a little challenging.

muggle 04-06-13 09:23 AM

Thanks, I'll discuss this with my dealer!

bartorob 05-09-13 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by natecrna (Post 6723524)
I got my 2012 RX 350 on Sept 30th. On Oct 1 I was installing a Draw-Tite class III hitch and brake controller.
The dealer wanted $500.00 plus parts to install just the hitch!
I bought the hitch and wiring harnesses for $250.00.
It took me 8hrs to do myself and I know what I'm doing!
The hitch install took all of 45 min. The time consuming part was the wiring for the brake box and trimming the appearance moulding.
I still haven't decided how I want to mount an RV 7 blade wiring harness to the back of the RX 350.
I'm a little vain and don't want it to stick out like a sore thumb.
If anyone is interested in the way I wired a brake controller let me know. It will be and extensive write up and I don't have time to write it out right now.

Happy RVing

I've already put the hitch and 4 pin harness in. How much more work is the break controller? Basically I pulled my tekonsha controller that was wired in to my previous TV and want to put it in my 2010 RX350.

travlinman 02-27-14 07:19 AM

I realize this post is older, but I have recently purchased an RX 350 with the towing package.... haven't seen it yet as the delivery is today. I know my trailer has surge brakes and a 5 wire FLAT connector. I purchased a 4 Flat to 5 wire Flat adapter from Hopkins part # 47515. Requires connecting its separate 5th / BLUE wire to your reverse lights. Hoping this will be an easy job on the new car... well... new for us.