RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Valet Parking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-11, 07:35 AM
tdgandmsb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valet Parking.

Hi: We love our new Lexus. I was wondering - when valet parking the car - should I remove the little key from fob and keep that part while giving the fob itself to the parker? Is this the purpose of the removeable key? Or just give the whole thing to the parker? Thanks. Mark
Old 08-14-11, 07:39 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Hi Mark, glad to hear you're loving your Lexus. Welcome to CL.

The key can be removed. One of the purposes is so you can lock the glove compartment and give them the fob. Just don't lose the key.
Old 08-14-11, 02:34 PM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RX Keys

On the 3rd Gen RX. Do you get a key FOB without the metal key? Making it a valet key? So you have 3 different types of keys.

This is what I have. Master Key, Valet Key, Metal emergency Key.
Attached Thumbnails Valet Parking.-keys.jpg  
Old 08-14-11, 02:44 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

^One master key and the key fob.

The master key can be pulled out from the key fob.

The key can also open windows.

And honestly, I don't trust valet parking. If I were you, I'd park it myself.

Last edited by happy1977; 08-14-11 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-14-11, 02:45 PM
tdgandmsb
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for both replies. We received the key fob, with a small odd-looking key inside that can be removed. So no real traditional key, and just two pieces instead of three. Thanks again.
Old 08-14-11, 06:51 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tdgandmsb
Thanks for both replies. We received the key fob, with a small odd-looking key inside that can be removed. So no real traditional key, and just two pieces instead of three. Thanks again.
Two years now and not the 1st valet has parked my car. They don't like it but I don't either. What I do like is no dings, excess miles, missing items, changed radio stations, fast food containers or any of the disappointments they're known for

Just me. If I can't go into a place without parking my own car, then they just don't want my business. I guess that makes me an odd sort but ....

I've been called much worse

Only exception is my Lexus dealer. Total trust until the trust is broken.

Last edited by Cruiter; 08-14-11 at 06:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-14-11, 07:14 PM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cruiter, I am with you. If I can't park my own car, I don't use the business. This recently occured at a wedding and I insisted that I park it myself. I had to park at the outer reaches of the lot, but that was OK with me.
Old 08-14-11, 07:37 PM
ecub
Driver

I'm with you both.
Old 08-14-11, 08:36 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't valet often, just at certain restaurants, hotels and a hospital I visit fairly often. Sometimes I feel safer not walking. I haven't had any problems yet. The hospital it's purely a matter of convenience, not safety.

Cruiter's list almost describes me more than a valet....

Old 08-14-11, 08:40 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Easy to say, 'park it yourself', but sometimes you get into a situation where it just isn't possible. Staying in downtown Seattle at the Sheraton a week ago I could certainly have parked it myself at a downtown garage that is unsecured and unattended at night (eh, no thanks), or have the valet park it in the Sheraton garage which is attended 24 hrs per day. Never had any problem with stations changed or food containers in the vehicle (!), from what I saw they were running non stop to retrieve and park the vehicles. To each their own, but a Lexus is no Lambo or Ferrari that has to be babied.
Old 08-15-11, 07:55 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Easy to say, 'park it yourself', but sometimes you get into a situation where it just isn't possible. Staying in downtown Seattle at the Sheraton a week ago I could certainly have parked it myself at a downtown garage that is unsecured and unattended at night (eh, no thanks), or have the valet park it in the Sheraton garage which is attended 24 hrs per day. Never had any problem with stations changed or food containers in the vehicle (!), from what I saw they were running non stop to retrieve and park the vehicles. To each their own, but a Lexus is no Lambo or Ferrari that has to be babied.
In general terms not being different applies. But the Hybrid operation/starting/stopping etc requires more indoctrination then you have time to give a valet attendant.
Old 08-15-11, 09:32 AM
ecub
Driver

Originally Posted by Cruiter
In general terms not being different applies. But the Hybrid operation/starting/stopping etc requires more indoctrination then you have time to give a valet attendant.
True. I've even made the mistake of getting out of the car and forgetting to turn off the engine a few times. Then wondering why the car won't lock it's doors and beeps every time I try to using the remote or the door handle.
Old 08-15-11, 12:35 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Push button start definitely takes some getting used to. Not reaching for keys, not at all can imagine a valet could be easily confused with the RX450h. I avoid them anyway.
Old 08-15-11, 05:09 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

More and more cars are getting push button starts. Some hotels offer reduced valet fees for hybrid vehicles. I guess I've never considered giving a valet lessons 'cuz he/she has probably driven more of them than I have.

If he's racing around the neighborhood, it never switches to battery anyway.
Old 08-15-11, 08:47 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's another example for those who swear never to use a valet. Today I took the car ferry from Port Angeles, WA to Victoria, BC......they have 8 lanes of vehicles on the ferry which leaves very, very little clearance between the vehicles especially with oversize SUV size vehicles. I was on the far side of the ferry but I could not squeeze out the drivers side because the adjoining Mercedes Benz was too close, and I could barely exit the passenger side against the bulkhead. With people shuffling between vehicles, knocking mirrors out of place, rubbing up against the paint surfaces, it is a nightmare waiting too happen. Unfortunately if you go to Victoria ISLAND you don't have a choice. Just another hazard a vehicle faces.

Quick Reply: Valet Parking.