RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Decisions for my new RX

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-11, 09:49 AM
DropZone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decisions for my new RX

So after months of obsessing over the new CT I decided on the RX 450h instead. The CT was just too small. Now I'm torn on wether or not to wait on the 2012. I can't seem to find any changes coming in 2012, is there any real benefit to waiting this late in the year? I know mine will need to be ordered because I want all the options, so I'll need to wait at least 3 months either way.

Also, is there any easy way to dress up the RX a bit? I really don't like the look of the RX, inside or out, it's just not for me. I decided on it anyway after reviewing Audi and BMW because the quality was unmistakable and the level of comfort unmatched. I have an IS250 right now which I love inside and out, but it's time for something with some cargo space and the RX has that too.

I ask because sometimes something as suddle as a brush guard or carbon fiber overlays for wood can dramatically improve appearances of a car, but it's hard to tell without actually seeing it done.
Old 06-17-11, 10:32 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by The X Men
You have to be crazy to spend $60000 on a car you dont like. My advise is to keep looking until you find a car that you like instead of try to change the RX. No matter what mods you make, the basic shape of the RX will still be the same.
I agree. There are a lot of options out there in that price range. Especially if you don't like what you're thinking of buying.
Old 06-17-11, 11:37 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

isnt there a Q5 hybrid?

Ill just answer the original question even though I agree with above that you shouldnt settle on the RX if its not a car that you really life. We dont know if there will be any changes to the 2012 RX but I highly doubt it. It might be small but no major changes like a refresh. But since you have to wait 3 months for the build anyways, I am sure you can order the next year's model by the end/beginning of July/August.
Old 06-17-11, 12:40 PM
DropZone
Driver School Candidate

I do want to buy something that gets good gas mileage because I make a 800 mile round trip every 2 weeks minimum. Add that to my commute to work etc and mileage really starts to add up on gas hog SUVs. The Audi Q5 hybrid is slated for next year, but frankly I don't trust it mechanically compared to Lexus. Edmunds estimates it's repair and maintenance at 2-3x the cost of the RX. I love the exterior of the Q5 but after a test drive I felt the interior was cheap in comparison to the RX. It also had 20 cubic feet less cargo space and a less comfortable rear seat. The panoramic sunroof only has a mesh cover so you always have to have some light coming in, and it creates some noise issues as well. The BMW I felt was also kind of ugly and had poor gas mileage and high tech features. Adaptive cruise control is a must for me which also severely limits the search. I really can't find a car that looks physically appealing to me while hitting all the key features I'm looking for. If anyone has a suggestion on an SUV that gets good mileage, has plenty of cargo room, looks more appealing, has adaptive cruise control, and is quiet and comfortable I would actually love to hear. Not being sarcastic, I really can't seem to find anything. I feel like the RX has the closest balance so far.
Old 06-17-11, 01:40 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Have you tried the Acura MDX or RDX?
Old 06-17-11, 04:03 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

RDX is definitely a techie's car as well, but I dont think it looks as good as the RX and the interior is not as upscale
Old 06-17-11, 05:20 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

The MDX's interior is better than the RDX's and you're right, I love the cleaner layout of RX's interior, not cluttered with buttons, especially the steering wheel.

Not monay likes that little compartment under the shift **** but I really like it, you can put things there without cluttering anywhere else.
Old 06-17-11, 05:45 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

DropZone, typically Lexus has their sales in August and December but no guarantees what kind of discount you'll get. I don't think that holds as true as it used to either. Lease deals are year round now. You just need to do your homework and shop around. I can't comment on other vehicles because I haven't really compared.

As to whether to buy now or go with '12, you probably won't find too many loaded '11s. Personally I'd think twice on the dynamic cruise control if you drive in traffic. The lowest range is still several car lengths long. And there's no way to disable it as far as I know.

There are kits out there for the RX. A few of us have made changes to exterior and interior lights. It makes a world of difference. I have the JDM visors. They look like they came with the RX. Others have put on things like extra chrome and brush bars. Do a search here. You'll definitely find ways to make yours unique. You're only limited by your wallet.

So if you insist on a fully loaded RX, go the special order route on a '12. It'll take a few months but it's the only way to get everything you want. Don't forget HUD! I have no regrets. Good luck.
Old 06-17-11, 06:56 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by The X Men
You have to be crazy to spend $60000 on a car you dont like. My advise is to keep looking until you find a car that you like instead of try to change the RX. No matter what mods you make, the basic shape of the RX will still be the same.
Agree wholeheartedly. You spend so much for this car and you're inside of it for hours and you have to look at it when it's parked in the driveway. Regret can go on for a really long time....

Of course if you never drive it and lock it away in a garage so you don't have to look at it, better trade-in value. Just remember to put a trickle charger on the battery.
Old 06-18-11, 05:27 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DropZone
I do want to buy something that gets good gas mileage because I make a 800 mile round trip every 2 weeks minimum. Add that to my commute to work etc and mileage really starts to add up on gas hog SUVs. The Audi Q5 hybrid is slated for next year, but frankly I don't trust it mechanically compared to Lexus. Edmunds estimates it's repair and maintenance at 2-3x the cost of the RX. I love the exterior of the Q5 but after a test drive I felt the interior was cheap in comparison to the RX. It also had 20 cubic feet less cargo space and a less comfortable rear seat. The panoramic sunroof only has a mesh cover so you always have to have some light coming in, and it creates some noise issues as well. The BMW I felt was also kind of ugly and had poor gas mileage and high tech features. Adaptive cruise control is a must for me which also severely limits the search. I really can't find a car that looks physically appealing to me while hitting all the key features I'm looking for. If anyone has a suggestion on an SUV that gets good mileage, has plenty of cargo room, looks more appealing, has adaptive cruise control, and is quiet and comfortable I would actually love to hear. Not being sarcastic, I really can't seem to find anything. I feel like the RX has the closest balance so far.
With all the trip driving you do with regular frequency, you have many things to consider including long distance comfort, gas mileage, cost of maintenance (just depends on what dealer you use and your relationship with them), the cars personal appeal to you, dependability, and resale value.

As far as availability right now almost anything built in Japan is going to be thin. I was getting my 25K service this past weekend and their inventory was at a critically low point for this time of the year (due to Japan's recent problems). They did say production was supposed to be increasing toward normal through the month of June but the pipeline still needs time to fill.

You're the one spending 'your' bucks so you're the one you have to please. I can tell you I've owned more cars than the average person in my lifetime and my (h) has been the best yet in all ways. Well maybe my '03 RX 300 was built as bullet proof but my 2010 (h) has excelled in comfort, mileage, drive-ability and low cost of maintenance (to date and including 25K service this past week less then $250 for all factory required service).

Good luck however you go

Last edited by Cruiter; 06-18-11 at 05:30 AM. Reason: wordsmithing
Old 06-18-11, 03:56 PM
alanadler
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like you should check out the Cayenne Hybrid. I'm not sure though if it is in the price range you are looking at.
Old 06-18-11, 04:20 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

VW Touareg is making a hybrid now. It's getting great revues and it is built on the Cayenne platform. It's not cheap.

Last edited by MEP7557; 06-19-11 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-18-11, 06:07 PM
wcntan80
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want the best mileage and built quality hybrid, then RX450h will be THE only one! Bought a 2011 without the tow hitch, parking asist, and HUD. Almost 8k miles now. Had an X3 and ML500 in the past, was never satisfy with their built quality except the handling on the road. Squeaking windows, coolant leak due to crack on compartment, squeaking breaks, and computer malfunctions. Stupid minor staff! All the money that they charge? The Rx is quieter and more comfy seat for me. No problem so far knock on wood.

Good luck!

Wil
Old 06-18-11, 07:57 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alanadler
Sounds like you should check out the Cayenne Hybrid. I'm not sure though if it is in the price range you are looking at.
I just checked one out, it was 94k and wasn't even loaded. A lot of people buy cars for other reasons besides interior/exterior looks.

Good luck with your purchase, the RX 450h is one of the best vehicles around, amazing it gets 30 MPG.
Old 06-21-11, 09:01 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was going to suggest that maybe you check out the Acura MDX also, but they only come with AWD, thus, not very good gas mileage.

Quick Reply: Decisions for my new RX