RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rolled down Hill in Park 2011 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-11, 07:01 PM
depanp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Half you guys are idiots, Car was put into PARK. No E brake. Car slid down.
Letter from Lexus said I didn't use E brake, no malfunction. Bunch of bull****. I know I put in Park and stupid car slid down. Come see my hill before you assume I didn't put into park. You guys can believe what you want, when it happens to another person or kills someone and then start post something relevant.
Old 06-20-11, 09:12 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Did you lock your doors when you parked you car while leaving it running? If you don't believe Lexus' findings, have a third party involve to review your case. In the first place, you posted this situation in public but you're not taking any appropriate actions or answering questions. All you kept saying is, "I put it in park" Did you consider the possibility that someone opened your door and put your gear in neutral? After the crash, was the gear still in park? All these questions are simple to answer instead of giving us a vague answer that's why we don't beleive a DAMN thing you're claiming.

If you want to start something that's making a concern on the vehicle's safety, provide us with enough valid info so we'll believe what you're claimimg. Calling us idiots will make you look like one as you're not even answering certain questions.

You shouldn't have posted in the first place if you don't have enough proof the it wasn't human error or intended accident (if doors weren't locked).

Last edited by happy1977; 06-20-11 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-21-11, 05:16 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Depanp,
There were three things mentioned here on how to park your car properly on a hill. I hope you listen and start following them. First, put it in Park, then apply the ebrake and third point the front wheels toward the curb. These 3 things provide you with three INDEPENDENT safety mechanisms to prevent your car from rolling. The Park uses the transmission, the ebrake using the car's brake system to keep the car immobile. And lastly the wheels pointing toward the curb prevent the car from rolling. It will take the tranny to fail, the brakes to fail and the wheels to fail before an accident can occur. You are lucky that you did not HURT anybody nor kill somebody or hit another car because of your disregard for the basic safety procedures. What would you do if you have a family, you did exactly what you did, your son/daughter came out of the car and got runover? Another wrong thing you did is leaving your car running on a hill. Turn off the engine next time.

I suggest that you read the car manual again. If you disregard these safety measures, what more do you disregard? I hope you don't go thru red lights when nobody is around or not stop on stop signs if you are in a hurry. I suggest you go to a driving school to learn again how to use your vehicle safely.

Last edited by LeoDLion; 06-21-11 at 05:22 AM.
Old 06-21-11, 05:49 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by depanp
Letter from Lexus said I didn't use E brake, no malfunction. Bunch of bull****. I know I put in Park and stupid car slid down. Come see my hill before you assume I didn't put into park. You guys can believe what you want, when it happens to another person or kills someone and then start post something relevant.
Mr DEPANP for lack of whatever your real name is, we're all grateful to you for providing an escape from all of the worlds problems to focus on something we can actually speak to.

That would be YOU Sir for showing us who indeed is the IDIOT !!! YOU are the one who's car rolled down the hill, posted the photos, and then admitted YOU didn't and don't use the 'PARKING' break (all the while going against the common opinion and Lexus investigation as to whether or not the car was in park).

I've made many mistakes, and I've learned to laugh at my own and learn from them. It's actually a sweeter rather than bitter feeling to get it out sometimes. You sir do sound just a bit bitter.

IMHO
I hope everyone else is as amused by this string as I am

Last edited by Cruiter; 06-21-11 at 05:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-21-11, 11:31 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

okay lets step back for a second.

Yes, he should have used the parking brake. I too have learned that even on a very slight incline, having the car's weight lean on the parking paw is a no no.

BUT, should the parking paw have failed? Like I said in my first post here, we will never know if he really did put it in park. I see no reason for the paw to fail in the first place even without the parking brake. Unless the paw was completely damaged over a long time, transmission should have been have to stop it.

A simple trip to the mechanic should be able to tell you if the paw is still intact and working properly
Old 06-21-11, 03:16 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
Depanp,
There were three things mentioned here on how to park your car properly on a hill. I hope you listen and start following them. First, put it in Park, then apply the ebrake and third point the front wheels toward the curb. These 3 things provide you with three INDEPENDENT safety mechanisms to prevent your car from rolling. The Park uses the transmission, the ebrake using the car's brake system to keep the car immobile. And lastly the wheels pointing toward the curb prevent the car from rolling. It will take the tranny to fail, the brakes to fail and the wheels to fail before an accident can occur. You are lucky that you did not HURT anybody nor kill somebody or hit another car because of your disregard for the basic safety procedures. What would you do if you have a family, you did exactly what you did, your son/daughter came out of the car and got runover? Another wrong thing you did is leaving your car running on a hill. Turn off the engine next time.

I suggest that you read the car manual again. If you disregard these safety measures, what more do you disregard? I hope you don't go thru red lights when nobody is around or not stop on stop signs if you are in a hurry. I suggest you go to a driving school to learn again how to use your vehicle safely.
I know all of these infomation are in the driver's manual. I wonder how he passes his driving test.

Last edited by wyau01; 06-21-11 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-21-11, 04:17 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me jump in and let you guys kick my but. too. Hehehe

Ok guys. That should be enough for him. Even if it's his fault that he didn't use the parking brake and blah blah .... we should NOT insult him the way we have been talking like " go back to driving school, learn safety....blah blah". He LOST the car. Blaming is just human been. You guys sure that you guys have never tried to blame on something/someone before??? Did all of you follow all safety instructions while operate cars/tools....Be honest. Like i said why don't we wish him luck because he only lost the car, not someone else's life. I'm sure he learned from this mistake. He came here to look for the help/share not mocking/insulting.

sweetboy02<---Already have steel on my but.....

Last edited by sweetboy02; 06-21-11 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-21-11, 05:37 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Just curious, how many of you stop, shift to neutral, set the parking brake, then shift to park?
Old 06-21-11, 05:48 PM
kyo7878
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sweetboy02
.....I'm sure he learned from this mistake. He came here to look for the help/share not mocking/insulting.

sweetboy02<---Already have steel on my but.....
Originally Posted by depanp
Letter from Lexus said I didn't use E brake, no malfunction. Bunch of bull****. I know I put in Park and stupid car slid down....
doesn't sound like he learned anything from it :

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Just curious, how many of you stop, shift to neutral, set the parking brake, then shift to park?
hmm, i just shift to park (while holding brake), set parking brake & i'm done~
Old 06-21-11, 06:01 PM
smehta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those photos are very enlightening. I can see its not designed to be abused - on significant slopes etc... definitely not unattended.

And the OP name-calling people as idiots - how despicable. What was the point of his post - sympathy or to embarrass Lexus??? Who cares. Clearly he does not know how to operate a vehicle and was "negligent".

Lets end this thread once and for all - as a lesson learned - of someone else's foolishness, and move on.
Old 06-21-11, 06:12 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kyo7878
doesn't sound like he learned anything from it :

He pissed off cause all you guys didn't want to give him a break. Why don't we put ourselves into his shoes then let's see how calm we are ?
Old 06-21-11, 06:35 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Every time I park on a slope. I don't like keeping a load on the trans/drivetrain. Also a habit from my days driving stick. I would always set the handbrake, clutch in, kill the motor, pop it in 1st, and then let off the clutch.

However, as I learned yesterday, on steep driveways, the parking brake doesn't hold my truck. I'm going to have it adjusted the next time I bring it in.
Old 06-21-11, 06:56 PM
kyo7878
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The X Men

thanks for the photo, learn something new each day
Old 06-21-11, 07:38 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Does any one know which page in the manual says you must/should set the parking brake every time you park?

The manual says this about winter.

When parking the vehicle
Park the vehicle and move the shift lever to P and block the wheel under the vehicle without setting the parking brake. The parking brake may freeze up, preventing it from being released.
How many of you carry wheel blocks (chocks) for winter?

Last edited by DunWkg; 06-21-11 at 07:39 PM. Reason: missing word added
Old 06-21-11, 09:48 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Seems Lexus legal found it somewhere, according to depanp.

I didn't find it in the on-line version either. Just references to releasing it.

Quick Reply: Rolled down Hill in Park 2011 RX350