RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

need to vent!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-11, 08:04 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OMG I am so sorry that happened to you. If I knew who did it they would have to pay, always in an indirect way. Maybe the insurance will total the car and you can get a new one. We wish.

My condolences.
Old 04-12-11, 06:11 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I,m so sorry for you. Your experience is one of my nightmares about having a nice vehicle that shows you care for it because you keep it clean and shiny. That can be like painting a target on your car for those sick and often envious individuals that do this kind of thing. They know they will hurt you by damaging something you care for.
Old 04-12-11, 07:29 AM
Mdkellys
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That really sucks and I would say you would probably hear me screaming three states over it happened to me. I would be organizing a local posse! I hope that the police can track this kid down. I would be afraid that he would keep coming back. My parents had some kid in the neighborhood a few years ago that was slashing tires. He got them twice before he got caught.
Old 04-12-11, 08:32 AM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This makes me think about all the times I keep *****in' about having a single-car garage. I take it all back. Even though it's often quite difficult to put my RX in that small garage, I know that the car is safe from prospective vandals or possible break-ins. So I will continue to struggle to get in and out of my narrow garage and so forth. No more complaining here! So sorry about what happened to your car though, man. I hope they catch the delinquent who did this!
Old 04-12-11, 09:41 AM
JenBowes
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the love guys! I tried to reply last night but my computer was acting up. Just another thing to add to the list! lol

So anyway... Quick update! We have no real idea who did it or witnesses as of yet, so the police just did the report over the phone. They didn't even come out to the house! Hubs took it to the dealer yesterday for an estimate (6600$ so far, yay me!) but comprehensive will cover it after the deductible and our rates won't go up so thats some good news. I've always been worried about the car getting stolen in our area, but I didn't even think about vandalism like this. I'm more paranoid about what to do after its repainted so this doesn't happen again. Any advice out there? Camera for the cars? Any extra alarms to add to the car after factory? Man it felt horrible driving it today, only being able to imagine what people were thinking as they passed by me today... lol

Thanks again for the support here! It means alot to be able to come and vent
Old 04-12-11, 09:56 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JenBowes
Thanks for all the love guys! I tried to reply last night but my computer was acting up. Just another thing to add to the list! lol

So anyway... Quick update! We have no real idea who did it or witnesses as of yet, so the police just did the report over the phone. They didn't even come out to the house! Hubs took it to the dealer yesterday for an estimate (6600$ so far, yay me!) but comprehensive will cover it after the deductible and our rates won't go up so thats some good news. I've always been worried about the car getting stolen in our area, but I didn't even think about vandalism like this. I'm more paranoid about what to do after its repainted so this doesn't happen again. Any advice out there? Camera for the cars? Any extra alarms to add to the car after factory? Man it felt horrible driving it today, only being able to imagine what people were thinking as they passed by me today... lol

If possible, put up a security camera in the driveway (if that is where you park it) and/or a security motion detector light. Hopefully, that was a one-time occurrence. A good body/paint shop should make it look like new when done---good luck.
Old 04-12-11, 06:08 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Man, after reading this, I dunno how to react. I'm thinking an envious neighbor telling kids to do that, at least, you can't really do anything with a kid. SMFH to these little ******ers.
Old 04-12-11, 08:45 PM
papaalex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would really be pissed if that happend to me

Sorry about what happend to your RX...
Old 04-12-11, 08:53 PM
Weighit
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm feeling your pain, but now on to the next step, repainting. A shop that specialized in high end vehicles will know what to do. All moldings, handles, seals, lights and chrome is removed, that means interior panels come off too to get access to the attaching points. You won't recognize your car as it is going through the process. Lots of work to do it correctly. Used to own a foreign car body shop and doing quality work costs the big bucks.
Old 06-17-11, 08:50 AM
DavieTh1
Driver School Candidate

Ouch, I hope you were satisfied with the paint job repairs
Old 06-17-11, 09:04 AM
danhinton
Driver School Candidate

Try not to let it get you down, I know it's frustrating and even devastating, but there are good paint shops around. Do your due diligence in finding a good one. Keep in mind several paint companies that supply to the body shop industry also supply paint at the factory level, like DuPont, Sikkens, ICI, etc. If a shop does it right, you will be the only one who knows the vehicle was ever repainted.
Life can be difficult at times, what makes us human is our ability to live in the moment and to forgive. After all, it's a car, not a loved one!
Don't worry, be happy.
Old 06-17-11, 09:09 AM
danhinton
Driver School Candidate

To answer your question about prevention, Viper has a vibration and or proximity sensor system. It can be troublesome with false alarms, but it does act as a good deterrent. The only problem is if the kids get to know it works well, they often set it off for kicks. But this is good prevention, whereas video is passive. Video will still let it happen, you still have to deal with the aftermath, the only difference is that you MAY be able to identify who did it.
Old 06-17-11, 01:23 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JenBowes
... Any advice out there? Camera for the cars? Any extra alarms to add to the car after factory? Man it felt horrible driving it today, only being able to imagine what people were thinking as they passed by me today... lol

Park the car inside your garage and close the garage door. Most of these are done in a parking lot. Having it done in your garage in your neighborhood is upsetting to say the least. That kid must be living around your neighborhood and travel on foot. I would talk to any kid that fits that description. Nothing threatening. Just tell him how upset you are and if you catch anybody, you will skin him alive.
Old 06-17-11, 05:36 PM
Tex Lex
Rookie

Very sorry to hear that Jen.. That really stinks! Hope all turns out ok.

--Nate
Old 06-17-11, 06:56 PM
cafpaf
Pole Position

JenBowes, I know exactly how you feel. Many years ago I purchased my first brand new car. It was a silver 65 Mustang. Believe it or not, it was $2,480 out the door including tax and license. In any case after about two months someone took a nail to every flat surface of the car including the roof. I was 22 and and about to go to my first military assignment. I had just switched from USAA insurance to another company to save a few dollars and when I filed a vandalism claim to have the car repainted, they sent me a check and a cancellation notice at the same time. I went back to USAA and have been with them ever since. Trust me, it will get better, but I am not sure you will ever feel the same about the car.

Quick Reply: need to vent!!!!!!!!