RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Buzzing sound when engine is off

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-16, 09:50 PM
cvuplay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear that noise all the time after I turn off my car.
Old 01-06-17, 05:58 PM
wcoffman
Driver School Candidate

Default "Fuel Evaporation Leakage Check"

Pg 24 of 2013 Owner's Manual

"Noise from under vehicle after turning off the engine (RX350)"
Approximately five hours after the engine is turned off, you may hear sound coming
from under the vehicle for several minutes. This is the sound of a fuel evaporation
leakage check and, it does not indicate a malfunction.
Old 02-26-17, 11:55 AM
Michaelb2
9th Gear

Non-hybrid RX350
When I first noticed it happening, I waited after I shut down my car to see if it continued or started later. In all cases, it started sometime later after the car shut down. Made two email inquiries to the Dealer with no response. Thank you
hitting the start button without foot on the break then cycle off, shuts it down
Old 02-27-17, 11:28 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

i never heard mine do this? and i have had it for three years now.
Old 03-23-19, 03:36 PM
garygve
Driver School Candidate

My 2015 RX350 does the same thing. Whats bad about having something drawing power when you shut it off is we were gone for 2 months when we came home the battery was dead. If you design a car that draws power when you shut everything off, then you should program it to a limit of 1 or 2 times and then not cycle again until the car is started. BAD engineering
Old 03-24-19, 06:20 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,114 Likes on 950 Posts

Any modern vehicle would likely have a dead battery if you leave it for 2 months and do not attach a battery tender. All modern vehicles have numerous computers and other electronics that have memory and constantly drain the battery.
It is not the fuel evaporation leakage check that drained your battery, it was not attaching a battery tender. Besides, fuel evaporation leakage test occurs once several hours after you shut off the car and would have no effect on the battery condition 2 months later.
You can get a battery tender on Amazon for under $40.
The following users liked this post:
landonm86 (06-08-22)
Old 03-24-19, 07:50 AM
LuckyPants
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Aha! I heard that sound the other day in the garage and a) didn't know what it was and b) couldn't identify the exact source before it stopped. It would have been about five hours after the vehicle had been turned off, and I had located the sound somewhere in the corner of the garage where the rear of my RX was. I even unplugged the freezer in the garage to make sure it wasn't the compressor making the noise.

Here's a Youtube video of the sound as made by a 4Runner:
Old 07-28-19, 08:34 AM
MrSuperman
Driver School Candidate

Default Strange brarly audable compressor-like noise from rear when car off

Hi, this has happened to me a few times now but this time I'd thought I'd post since my warranty is almost going to expire.

Once in a while, when I come to the car in the morning after overnight when the car was obviously off, I hear a barely audible compressor like noise from the rear of the car and it sounds like it's coming from underneath. Does anybody know what this could be? I have attached an audio recording of it just in case.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
2019-07-28_10_37_47_mp3.mp3 (24.2 KB, 247 views)
Old 07-28-19, 06:09 PM
slawless
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I could be totally wrong as I am relating this to a BMW I have.

it could be a leakage diagnostic pump. This little compressor pressurizes the fuel system to check for leaks. It only checks every so often. The BMW usually checks just after you turn off the car. Lexus may be different.
Old 07-28-19, 09:45 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

MrSuperman...This is normal...It's been discussed here many times because its a confounding situation. It's a pump that checks the evaporative fuel system somehow.
I don't have the details, maybe someone else has, but I'm just chiming in to let you know that the car is supposed to do that.
Ray A.
Old 07-29-19, 07:52 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Talking

Totally normal. Nothing to worry about at all.
Old 07-29-19, 04:06 PM
MrSuperman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to all who replied.
Old 12-28-21, 07:51 PM
Ddk912
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2015 rx f sport rear end noise

Strange noise coming from the rear of the car after parking. Sounds kind of like a pump running. Maybe a little hum. If I start up and move a little in reverse it stops. Anyone know what it is?Hasn’t affected anything yet. Car has about 57k miles and was a certified used. Tia
Old 12-29-21, 12:10 AM
MattRX
Racer

Received 726 Likes on 522 Posts

Nothing to worry about, it's just the EVAP system doing a check.
Old 12-31-21, 09:00 AM
salimshah

Received 1,011 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by Ddk912
Strange noise coming from the rear of the car after parking. Sounds kind of like a pump running. Maybe a little hum. If I start up and move a little in reverse it stops. Anyone know what it is?Hasn’t affected anything yet. Car has about 57k miles and was a certified used. Tia
Rx has various modes and one of them is what I call "awake mode" [my term for state other than "sleep" and "run"]. In this stage the vehicle gets ready and primed to get into run mode and is recognized by presence of key-fob in/near vehicle. In this mode there is constant drain from the 12v battery and what you hear is most likely the fuel pump priming the fuel pressure line and once the right pressure is reached, the pump cuts off. [in run mode the alternator provides the current].
Other than the pump various other things can happen like purge valves etc being activated.

Moral of the story if any is keep the key away from the vehicle when you park it [Don't leave the keys inside].

Salim

Quick Reply: Buzzing sound when engine is off