RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Newbie Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-11, 07:41 PM
JiniJazz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Question

Hi, great forum!
As we are looking for replacement for our aging MB ML, we are considering 2011 BMW X3 or Lexus RX 350. Since we already have Porsche Boxster, this car should be about comfort, not handling. We agreed RX is the better candidate than X3 for us.

We don't mind paying for good optional features, but we do for paying the "package" which contain many useless (to us) options. Only options we want are "Rear View Camera", "Remote Start", and "Heated Ventilated Seat".

Anyway, that's enough for background info and here are the real questions.

1. If we don't buy any other package, what are standard seats for 2011 RX? Fabric?

2. We also want "Rain sensing wiper" and "Power Rear Door", but we won't buy the whole package for this option. So without "Power Rear Door", do we have to close the door manually?

Any advice or comments on your experience will help us! Thank in advance.
Old 01-18-11, 04:25 AM
k9shelly1
Driver

1. Standard seats are fabric although you'll have trouble finding one without leather.

2. If you don't want packaged deals you'll have to special order. In that case you'll get what you want. If you don't have power rear door you will have to manually close it. This again is a feature I didn't see an RX without.
Old 01-18-11, 04:36 AM
ejvette
Driver

The area I live in all the cars on the dealers lots are pretty loaded you either get a car with or without nav if you want anything different they will do a dealer search to see if any other dealer has a car they can get or you have to custom order.
Old 01-18-11, 06:34 AM
katman
Driver School Candidate

I just got my rx450H last week. I looked at three different dealers and they all seemed to have the same packages. Didn't see a single one with fabric seats. Major difference seemed to be some had the rear seat DVD system (I don't know what else came with these models because I wasn't interested) and those that didn't have the dvd. Mine has nav, which I really didn't think I would like, but I do; leather; power lift hatch. I traded a 2010 VW Touareg TDI. Loved the Touareg. It had a bit more aggressive drive and was definately a good off-road and tow machine, but the RX is a good highway cruiser--soft ride and quiet.
Old 01-18-11, 07:07 AM
BlueSurf
Rookie

The X3 is a all new model. When you put in leather instead of the standard cheap sweaty vinyl and a needed few extras the price will rise to that of the best RX450h. Price it up.
Old 01-18-11, 08:36 PM
Dong99
Driver School Candidate

From what I understand, you can get a RX with premium package (this will get you leather seat and power rear door), plus options "Rear View Camera" and "Heated Ventilated Seat", as well as wood and leather trim. This is the least equipped RX that you will find in any dealer lot. "Remote Start" can be a dealer installed option, so you are all set. If you want anything less, you will have to do a special order.
Old 01-18-11, 11:43 PM
JiniJazz
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dong99
From what I understand, you can get a RX with premium package (this will get you leather seat and power rear door), plus options "Rear View Camera" and "Heated Ventilated Seat", as well as wood and leather trim. This is the least equipped RX that you will find in any dealer lot. "Remote Start" can be a dealer installed option, so you are all set. If you want anything less, you will have to do a special order.
Thanks, that's exactly what I've found today at the dealer. The options you listed are pretty much "Standard" options in every RX. In addition, they also have:
- Preferred Accessory pkg (I guess it's ok option, but who needs wheel lock these days?)
- Towing Prep pkg (I seriously don't need this even if it's cheap)

Anyway, how useful is "remote starter"? Is it dealer installable option? My dealer told me it should be installed from factory and it is useless due to the limited range.
Old 01-22-11, 09:41 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dong99
Dong99 is correct in regard to some of the features on the RX350 with the premium package. But to get the rain-sensing wipers, you have to go up to the Comfort Package plus the Navigation package. The Comfort Package gets you the rain-sensing wipers, the bi-xenon HID adaptive forward headlights, and the 12-speaker sound system.

For some reason, I believe I may be driving the only 2010 RX350 in the U.S. that has the Premium and Comfort Package, but with no navigation in it.
Old 01-22-11, 10:57 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

its basically impossible to get the RX without the Premium package or Luxury package. Its one or the other. Without these, the car wouldnt have leather, and you'd be hard pressed to get one that way. The reason why leather is packaged in there is so they can get the base msrp that low -- its a marketing gimmick. Really does look like you will have to special order which takes 3-4 months.

However, even with the useless-to-you options in there, most RXs have an msrp of around 44K. With some good haggling, you could probably do 41K before ttl
Old 01-23-11, 07:16 PM
Dong99
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JiniJazz
Thanks, that's exactly what I've found today at the dealer. The options you listed are pretty much "Standard" options in every RX. In addition, they also have:
- Preferred Accessory pkg (I guess it's ok option, but who needs wheel lock these days?)
- Towing Prep pkg (I seriously don't need this even if it's cheap)

Anyway, how useful is "remote starter"? Is it dealer installable option? My dealer told me it should be installed from factory and it is useless due to the limited range.
If I were you, I would not go for the remote starter. It has very limited range and the engine shuts down when you open the door - it defeats the purpose of remote start for me, although Lexus considers this as a security feature.
Old 01-23-11, 09:53 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

You would be very lucky to get 70 ft from the remote start. Unless it is right out side from you it sucks. Save that money and get an after market remote start with some range to it to start the car.
Old 01-25-11, 02:30 AM
JiniJazz
Rookie

Now we are proud owner of 2011 RX 350!

We test drove several midsize/compact SUV out there several times including Mercedes GLK, BMW X3, Audi Q5, Acura RDX. To be honest, I enjoyed X3 & Q5 most, but RX & RDX are clear overall winner in our opinion, at least as compact/midsize SUV. Almost every category, RX is the winner except handling and fun department, but it is not that bad as some reviewers said. In fact, it has surprisingly solid and decent handling.

We got pretty much basic configuration (Startfire Pearl ext, Parchment int, FWD, Premium pkg, Heated/Vent Seat, Backup Camera, Wood/Leather Steering wheel & shifter, Roof rack cross bars, Cargo Mat, Cargo Net, Spider Net, Wheel Lock, Key Glove). We wanted "Rain sensing wiper", but do not want to buy comfort pkg for that either. Anyway, we are very excited about our first Lexus! We picked up with 3 miles on it, and enjoyed every mile of it.

The whole process was smooth and enjoyable mainly because of all the helpful comments here and in this forum. Thank you!

BTW, billy shows "LED Headlamps" in your signiture - do you mean LED DL?
Old 01-25-11, 09:44 AM
Mdkellys
Pole Position

Congratulations and welcome to the Lexus owner circle! I know you will enjoy your new ride.

Mike
Old 01-25-11, 10:41 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

BTW, billy shows "LED Headlamps" in your signiture - do you mean LED DL?
the hybrid is available with full LED headlights
Old 01-25-11, 11:36 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Glad you got the car you were looking for. Hope you have many trouble free years with it. Look through this forum and you can find some new ways to enjoy your car with tricks that the good members have found to get the most from your car.

Quick Reply: Newbie Question