RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX Series a Woman's vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-10, 07:34 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny
Some (immature) individuals, uncertain/insecure about their own sexuality in a peer group setting, are quick to define chattels into male/female or gay/straight categories. Doing this reinforces their fragile egos at a time when they are all-too-often short on life experience but long on pretending otherwise...
I agree, could not have said it better.
Old 06-10-10, 07:48 AM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VW Beetle is a women's car, it has a place to hold your flowers, but I still see men driving them.
Old 06-10-10, 08:35 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny
Some (immature) individuals, uncertain/insecure about their own sexuality in a peer group setting, are quick to define chattels into male/female or gay/straight categories. Doing this reinforces their fragile egos at a time when they are all-too-often short on life experience but long on pretending otherwise...
Well said. They sell about 100,000 RX's per year. ALL sorts of people buy them for a variety of reasons...
Old 06-10-10, 09:14 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sightdev
Except for GS,LS, and GX, all other models are "girlie" vehicles. for mid-20ish to drive a RX, others will think you borrow your mom's car. NOT THAT ANYTHING IS WRONG WITH THAT!
Gee, the IS-F must be a girlie car. way to go, girls
Old 06-10-10, 01:50 PM
Wubbman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, this had a lot more responses that I thought it would. Thanks for all of the points of view. I was going to get the vehicle regardless of what others thought, but its nice to know people don't think its a big deal. Thanks.
Old 06-10-10, 02:14 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

My mother has an RX so...

Yes, it is predominately driven by women, particularly in my area. But ya know what? I don't give a *****. It's a fantastic car in every aspect, and classy ladies will recognize that and appreciate the fact you aren't intimidated by socialized stigma of a "female car".

I think the 3rd Gen RX is a great car, and I'm always surprised by the acceleration of it. I doubt you'll be disappointed with it.
Old 06-11-10, 02:54 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I had read the soccer mom comment in one of the many reviews I had read before even sitting in the car. Once I sat in the car and saw the beautiful blue back-lit display with the glowing white pointers the comment started to fade away in my mind. Putting my hand on the perfectly placed remote control **** started causing even further memory loss. Then after two test drives and listening to the sound of those whirring motors during braking regeneration, I had total amnesia.

Heck, I'm 6'2", 200 lb, male, iron worker....ok maybe not an ironworker...ok maybe not exactly 200 lb....ok maybe not 6'2" since some hair loss...but the increasing large forehead definitely points to not being a soccer mom...
Old 06-11-10, 05:01 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have two chick cars then. The RX and a miata.
Old 06-11-10, 05:50 AM
LexFather

Honestly what car isn't? Women's buying power has increased tremendously the last 20 years. SMART carmakers saw this trend and involved women in the engineering/design process and aimed for this market. Why would you want to miss it? The new BMW Z4's head designer was a women for the exterior and another woman for the interior. The lead engineer for the Acura RDX is a woman. The Acura ZDX lead designer is a woman (seems Acura's women need some help )

The RX is a funny case in that Lexus tries to make it more "masculine" but more women seem to buy it. The 1RX had a 50/50 split and Lexus was hoping for more men with the 2RX and it grew to 55/45 in favor of women. I am not sure what the 3RX is but its probably even higher.

My mother has a RX and my wife has a RX. I just see it as a vehicle for people with damn good taste that want the creator and best car in class.
Old 06-11-10, 06:31 AM
tfischer

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

I can't think of a lot of cars that stand out as being "chick cars," besides the VW Beatle, of course. I would suggest, however, that certain colors on any car are indicative of female ownership.
For the RX, and speaking as an owner, I would simply suggest that extra-manly men who are concerned about this aspect of auto ownership stay away from that light blue. It's just a little too pretty.
Old 06-11-10, 08:44 AM
Cruiter

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
For the RX, and speaking as an owner, I would simply suggest that extra-manly men who are concerned about this aspect of auto ownership stay away from that light blue. It's just a little too pretty.
Amen.

And it's sad that the very 1st 2010 I encountered in a parking lot with it's owner was that color. He said they were still rare (over a year ago) and it was the only one left on the lot. But his wife liked it even tho he's the driver

I still see him with it at Publix. He looks longingly at mine. Kind of like 'If only he'd taken the time to order one'.
Old 06-11-10, 12:30 PM
sleepysurf
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cruiter
...I still see him with it at Publix...
REAL men don't shop at Publix!
Old 06-11-10, 02:44 PM
lapdrn
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

have it upgraded w/wald black bison. it will look masculine. i am planning to upgrade ours.
Old 06-12-10, 04:20 AM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the rx is probably the most feminine vehicle i've ever driven

i even pulled the roof rails off mine which adds another hint of feminism

i'm 39 & married & have no insecurities with my masculinity,

aside from the interior rattles i love my rx
Old 06-12-10, 08:14 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by sleepysurf
REAL men don't shop at Publix!
I love Publix do not like Kroger....I also like Trader Joe's now and Whole Foods..

WTF happened to me?

Quick Reply: RX Series a Woman's vehicle?