RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Valued Opinions Wanted – RX Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-10, 07:08 PM
Lee4029
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valued Opinions Wanted – RX Hybrid

So my wife and I just purchased a new RX450h and are set to pick it up on Monday. I have owned a 04 IS300, 07 IS350, 2010HS, and this will now be my 4th Lexus. I say that just to let you know I am familiar with Lexus and the options on their cars.

This time around we have be comparing the Infiniti FX35 and the RX450h. Both I think are great vehicles, each with their own pros and cons. Here is where my concern and questions come in. The FX35 we drove was literally completely loaded (Bose audio/Nav, radar cruise, lane assist, 360 camera system, etc etc). I don’t think you could pack another feature into that car. Sticker was right at 55k. While it was not a hybrid and only received 18/23 fuel economy, it was very fun to drive for an SUV. It held the road and provided a very sporty feel. We compared this to the RX450h with nav and premium audio (not Mark Levinson). The RX had no radar cruise, heads up display, lane assist, side camera, etc and was priced at 52k. Don’t get me wrong, it had nice options, but seemed to be missing a lot. When I asked my sales guy (same one I have bought all my cars from) why none of the RX’s on their lot had any of the above features he told me that the Atlanta GA office was responsible for ordering the majority of the cars in my region. I noticed that in addition to the RX, this was the same story for all of the IS, ES, LS, HS, etc models.

Long story short, despite the options difference we decided to stick with Lexus even though Infiniti came in at a better month to month cost. Being able to get 30+ mpg in an SUV and the extra interior room was just something we could not ignore. My issue is since the agreement to purchase the RX (they are hauling one in that is our color preference) I have been doing a lot of reading on the Lexus website. They boast big on the heads up display, Levinson audio, radar cruise, and side cameras, yet I can’t find one Lexus dealership with these options. I can’t help but wonder what gives. Why advertise all of this if no dealership in a large radius is going to carry it? I was curious if anyone else had picked up on dealerships doing this and what they might have had to say.

Opinions are appreciated.
Old 05-22-10, 07:23 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee4029
So my wife and I just purchased a new RX450h and are set to pick it up on Monday. I have owned a 04 IS300, 07 IS350, 2010HS, and this will now be my 4th Lexus. I say that just to let you know I am familiar with Lexus and the options on their cars.

This time around we have be comparing the Infiniti FX35 and the RX450h. Both I think are great vehicles, each with their own pros and cons. Here is where my concern and questions come in. The FX35 we drove was literally completely loaded (Bose audio/Nav, radar cruise, lane assist, 360 camera system, etc etc). I don’t think you could pack another feature into that car. Sticker was right at 55k. While it was not a hybrid and only received 18/23 fuel economy, it was very fun to drive for an SUV. It held the road and provided a very sporty feel. We compared this to the RX450h with nav and premium audio (not Mark Levinson). The RX had no radar cruise, heads up display, lane assist, side camera, etc and was priced at 52k. Don’t get me wrong, it had nice options, but seemed to be missing a lot. When I asked my sales guy (same one I have bought all my cars from) why none of the RX’s on their lot had any of the above features he told me that the Atlanta GA office was responsible for ordering the majority of the cars in my region. I noticed that in addition to the RX, this was the same story for all of the IS, ES, LS, HS, etc models.

Long story short, despite the options difference we decided to stick with Lexus even though Infiniti came in at a better month to month cost. Being able to get 30+ mpg in an SUV and the extra interior room was just something we could not ignore. My issue is since the agreement to purchase the RX (they are hauling one in that is our color preference) I have been doing a lot of reading on the Lexus website. They boast big on the heads up display, Levinson audio, radar cruise, and side cameras, yet I can’t find one Lexus dealership with these options. I can’t help but wonder what gives. Why advertise all of this if no dealership in a large radius is going to carry it? I was curious if anyone else had picked up on dealerships doing this and what they might have had to say.

Opinions are appreciated.
It's a region thing for cars in inventory. Different regions like the NE for example will order a higher level of options. And they are usually on the AWD models. I guess they figure more of those will sell in the inclement winter weather areas and a little more for extra option packages makes sense. You can still order one the way you want but if you need it now then you should probably have your dealer check further north.
Old 05-22-10, 09:33 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Yes, Lexus is really bad about customization and regional options. If you go to the build your own function on the Lexus website, you have to put in your zipcode and it will display the options for your area. Notice if you put in another US zipcode, it will give you different packages to choose from that your own.

I am in the same boat and plan to special order. However, doing so results in a 3-6 months wait
Old 05-22-10, 09:44 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

All Lexus vehicles inbound from Japan can be ordered in-transit on the ship transporting them and to the factory, and further still to the production line. Dealers can pull up any model in any variation (i.e. color, configuration, etc...). When my salesman was unable to find an LS that suited my whims, we took a look at the stock that was available in transit, and which dealer they were allocated to, all neatly displayed on the Toyota system.

So, I am a little suspicious of dealers that claim they are being held hostage to some regional office's limitation. What I think is really happening is they are trying hard to move cars off their lot, because there is a clock ticking on those. The dealers have a certain amount of time to sell them before they get charged interest by Toyota. That pressure is passed down to the sales team.

I would call the dealership's bluff, and ask to see the models that are available in transit, and see what their reaction is. If they refuse to comply with your request, I would either call Lexus Corp or visit another dealer that is more cooperative.
Old 05-23-10, 05:30 AM
Lee4029
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. We already committed to a black on black RX450h with comfort and premium package. While these do offer a good many options, it does not seem to be any of the “fun” options if you know what I mean.
While I like the RX, I am already thinking that my next vehicle will be something other than a Lexus, or a purchase from another dealership should these option issues continue.

On a side note, “Cruiter, or any other hybrid RX owner” – I would be interested to hear how you are liking your Hybrid RX. Pro, Cons, etc. We currently own an HS. While this was my wife’s choice, I do enjoy getting 35-37 average mpg.

Thanks again for the comments. Lets me know I am not going crazy over here.
Old 05-23-10, 06:04 AM
nyranger74
Driver School Candidate

My RX450h gets a wopping 20-21 mpg!!
Old 05-23-10, 07:21 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It is annoying that the cars at the dealerships have only a limited number of options with only a few variations (like maybe one or two without Nav and wood, etc.) and it is virtually impossible to find RXs with options like ML, side view monitor, seat extenders, etc.). I dropped in to dealerships in a few places in the Mid Atlantic, and the choices were virtually the same. Had to do a special order and wait. It was interesting to see the change in the sales rep's expressions when I told them what I wanted.

nyranger74, I'm sorry you are getting such poor mileage from your 450h. Is your driving in NYC and short distances? You should be getting better than that. My worst was nearly 29 mpg. Do you try to take advantage of the techniques that help the hybrids get better mileage?
Old 05-23-10, 08:58 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Canada gets their share of loaded RXs, but at a price and with options you might not want. Like Cruiter and RXSF said, the packages are determined by region here in the US. The dealer might be able to locate one more to your liking or you can try to find one on your own. Otherwise, special order is the way to go. You can pick what you want with a few exceptions. Mine took 4 months and was well worth it.

BTW, I originally went with a semi loaded 450h but realized I wasn't going to be happy with it. I cancelled just as the RX hit port. My sales guy completely understood and worked with me on the special order, even gave me a discount.

Good luck.
Old 05-23-10, 10:02 AM
Lee4029
Driver School Candidate

Yea, next go round I might look to special order if I don’t become wooed by another brand. I hate the 3-6 month wait but if you get exactly what you want made to order, it’s hard to argue. I understand that regional ordering might make some guy’s life in a corporate office easier, but it would just make too much sense to me to put out a few fully loaded cars and test the waters. My guess is those would out sell the standard option models. Worst case they are slow to sell … but best case if you are Lexus would be to make an little extra $$. I will say I was able to use the “RX is minus these options while Infiniti has them” argument to get a great deal. It is actually the most willing I have ever seen Lexus to really get in there and bargin.

nyrange74: I see a few people angry with the fuel numbers on the HS. I was to at first. I could not seem to get over the 27-28mpg hump. When I stopped driving the HS like my IS I started to get 35mpg easy. I have even made a few long trips in the car and seen 40mpg at average speeds of 75-80mph. While I don’t expect to see that in the hybrid RX, I hope to get at least an average of 30. There are a lot of tips and tricks to get better mileage on Hybrids. I generally don’t do most of them because I still want to drive a little aggressive from time to time. On the daily commutes just doing a few adjustments to my driving habits I have been able to go from 28 to an average of 37.
Old 05-23-10, 10:40 AM
Lee4029
Driver School Candidate

Just got my first look at our RX. Must have been delieverd last night.
Attached Thumbnails -imag0011.jpg   -imag0012.jpg  
Old 05-23-10, 10:52 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

looks good.

I hate how you cant get the luxury package on FWD vehicles.
Old 05-23-10, 12:23 PM
OC-ISF
Driver School Candidate

My 450H was on the ship, with a destination in Northern California (I live in Southern CA) when my dealer did the dealer trade. It can be done! I'm getting just under 25 miles per gallon, with just about 5000 miles on the car. I can't seem to improve my mileage, although I've been trying...trying so hard that it's actually gotten worse because I was between 25-26 mpg.

Enjoy your new ride! Despite my mileage numbers, I love this car.
Old 05-23-10, 04:20 PM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

I say WOW Lee...... How could you want anything else? A beautiful vehicle. NICE!!

lar
Old 05-24-10, 06:33 AM
Lee4029
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys. Picking up our RX today. I am sure I will be more active on this end of the forum.
Old 05-24-10, 10:30 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Congrats mate!