RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

What should Lexus improve on the 2010 RX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-09, 05:01 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Orbit
... ...How about showing the entire artist and song information on the Sirius/XM display? Seems to be truncating it at some arbitrary point, while there's still room in the display field. What's up with that?
I thought Sirius can display more info!?

XM has been only showing 16 characters for many years.
Old 12-30-09, 06:08 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
i recall hearing or reading somewhere that the LS (current gen or next gen?) will have a self healing paint for light scratches. here's hoping that this new feature/technology will filter down the lexus line...
Yes, I have read that next year's LS will feature this new paint. Although Lexus has a clear finish it's just so thin and soft. I cannot believe it has taken so long for the company to address this issue.
Old 12-30-09, 06:23 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

RX's produced early have the sunglass holder, but the ones that have lexus enform, do not.
Old 12-30-09, 08:38 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
RX's produced early have the sunglass holder, but the ones that have lexus enform, do not.
ah, thx for the reminder. i totally forgot about that!
Old 12-31-09, 08:10 AM
nyranger74
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see the enitre readout on my 2008 X5- but thats for Sirius
I think its an XM issue, not the RX, but I agree its really annoying that the entire title is not displayed
Old 12-31-09, 10:38 AM
Orbit
Rookie

Originally Posted by RXSF
Now I understand. I was getting ready to go at my ceiling with a screwdriver to find the sunglass holder...
Old 12-31-09, 02:32 PM
RXSF

I have no idea why the enform system takes over the sunglass holder, when this doesnt happen to any other model. Lexus was just too cheap/lazy to redesign the whole sunroof panel after just redesigning the vehicle i guess
Old 12-31-09, 08:59 PM
Miralex
Driver School Candidate

1. A less noisy parking brake

2. 4 parking sensors in the front (not just corners). I don't see parking sensors as a must on a car this size, but if you are going to put them in (and charge $500), do it right. When parking behind a car, one would hit it before the parking sensors beep.

3. A low gas light that come on sooner than when there is 15 miles left

4. A NAV system without a lock out (or, if Lexus needs to manage its legal exposure, one with a lock out that can be disabled through the software rather than having to buy additional hardware)

5. Power opening liftgate when using rear button. Also - a locking button that will close the liftgate and then lock it. Currently, one needs to wait 10 seconds for the gate to close before the car can be locked.

6. Locking and unlocking sensors on all doors - not just front

7. Last but not least - some protection for the radiator!
Old 12-31-09, 10:37 PM
RXSF

2. 4 parking sensors in the front (not just corners). I don't see parking sensors as a must on a car this size, but if you are going to put them in (and charge $500), do it right. When parking behind a car, one would hit it before the parking sensors beep.
I would hope that you can see for yourself how close you are to the person in front of you. The corners are what matters when parking, which is why lexus only has them on the corners.

3. A low gas light that come on sooner than when there is 15 miles left
It should actually come on when there are about 2 more gallons in the gas tank. The NAV "Miles till empty" is not what triggers the light to come on. In fact that countdown doesnt go mile for mile.

6. Locking and unlocking sensors on all doors - not just front
agreed. Lexus went cheap considering there are all four buttons on every car but the IS
Old 01-02-10, 02:21 PM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. Illumination of overhead console needs to be addressed --you must turn on the
interior light at night by feel

2. please bring back the illuminated cup holder as was in 2004-2009 models

3. footwell lighting needs to be improved a la second generation

4. illuminate all controls and wording on the hvac panel

5. heated steering wheel - that damned plastic wood in minus 14 C this morning was like
gripping a block of ice- this is an awd SUV meant for colder temps - their new SUV
thats coming has a heated steering wheel as an option - most of the competetion
now offer heated steering wheels

6. abandon Dunlop tires please

7. offer everyone the option of 19" wheels not make them standard on selected
Canadian packages as they are now - 19's offer a very firm ride --some of us prefer a
softer non-BMW feel to our drive

8. delete the standard rear seat entertainment system from the Canadian Ultra Prem
package - I resent paying for something that I will never use - better still offer
Canadians the same packaging as Americans - the only way we can get parking
sensors is to order the Ultra Prem--on a so called luxury vehicle --this is just poor
marketing--Lexus--give you heads a shake

9. protection for the lower rad

10. illuminated door sills front as well as rear

11. 4 front parking sensors not 2

12. offer customers the choice of colour co-ordinated mats or the standard black ones

13. not a fan of the mouse driven navi
Old 01-03-10, 06:30 PM
DaRacerz
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Another thing... one option missing on Lexus and Toyota in general is the Oil Life Indicator. The days of 5k mile oil changes are over and we should be allowed to legitimately change at 7500mi or 10,000mi intervals or whatever our driving styles indicate.
Old 01-03-10, 06:39 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DaRacerz
Another thing... one option missing on Lexus and Toyota in general is the Oil Life Indicator. The days of 5k mile oil changes are over and we should be allowed to legitimately change at 7500mi or 10,000mi intervals or whatever our driving styles indicate.
That's wrong info. With the new low friction engine and 0w20w oil, factory recommendation is 5000 oil & filter. If you don't and you have an engine related issue, you might also have a warranty issue.

Read the manual
Old 01-03-10, 06:53 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaRacerz
It's hard to tell when the owner should change their engine oil, 3K, 5K, 7K, 10K, 15K, or 20K, etc.

Well, if you like to change the Life Indicator... on the Navi model, you probably can go to Setup -> Vehicle -> Maintenance and edit the distance feild out there... I guess this will work?

Please review the Navi Owner Manual P386
Attached Thumbnails What should Lexus improve on the 2010 RX?-navi_oil_386.jpg  
Old 01-03-10, 06:54 PM
DaRacerz
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I know that we are required at 5k intervals per the manual for warranty reason. But what I am trying to say is that this should not be mandated for all. One driver who puts on mostly highway miles can put on 7.5k mi between changes with oil of equal quality and breakdown with another driver at 4k mi who does short cold start trips.

GM does this, Honda does this and they also use 20 weight oils allowing owners to operate well above 5k mi if there driving conditions allow for it.

Ps. thanks for that info rxets but doing this could potentially void any engine warranty as I, or any other owner, would be operating outside the manufacturers spec.
Old 01-05-10, 01:49 PM
jwalker678
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stormforge
a couple of things i'd want to see:

1) illuminated rear door sills. it's silly to just have front illuminated door sills and not the rear. i mean, the 2nd gen RX400h had illuminated front and rear sills. why can't the RX450h have it too?

2) panoramic moon roof - it's available in japan/middle east, but not in north america?!?

3) air suspension - same comment as in #2 above
agree on the panoramic moon roof. Really liked this feature on the Q5 and SRX.

Quick Reply: What should Lexus improve on the 2010 RX?