RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX350 Transmission Oil Change (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-18, 06:20 AM
bailey12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll have to go to the dealer and hope they don't just say " new transmission". I don't know of any shops that specialize in trannys, used to be ?AMMCO? But don't think they're around anymore. Now I'm showing my age Salim.
Old 05-28-18, 02:34 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by bailey12
Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll have to go to the dealer and hope they don't just say " new transmission". I don't know of any shops that specialize in trannys, used to be ?AMMCO? But don't think they're around anymore. Now I'm showing my age Salim.
AAMCO is still around , 4 in NH. Just not as many as there used to be nationally.
Old 05-29-18, 03:17 AM
Mrvmax
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bailey12
look up a shop that does BG services. They will do a flush of the system and if the miles are low enough give a warranty.
https://www.bgprod.com/services/
Old 05-29-18, 03:28 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,158 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Hopefully I am not adding fuel to the fire here ..

Personally I have kept an open mind and urge the members to keep an open mind. [See my PS]

Understand the reasons [dont have to agree] why the auto trans is considered life time.
Understand the anecdotal [as well as common sense] why the fluid should be changed.

But dont fall in the trap that transmission failed, it MUST be due to lack of transmission fluid change. It might be, but then there can be other reasons.

Here is a simplistic example:
Synthetic engine oil is recommended to be changed at 10K miles interval. Lets say many think that it should be done at 7K
Engine is ceased after 8K miles.
Should that be blindly attributed to lack of oil change or investigation must be done? Some component may have failed. Say the rod broke.

So my question is why are we so quick in attributing a transmission failure to lack of fluid change. Auto trans is lot more complicated than the engine.

As an owner, if it makes you sleep more comfortably, go ahead and do frequent trans fluid changes. Nothing wrong in doing it every 1K miles to keep the color cherry red. If done right, it would not harm anything. Would it extend the life? I certainly hope that it does, but the key word is "hope".

Salim

PS: I can easily list reasons to change the fluid too. My real purpose it to raise awareness and suggest Scientific (engineering) analysis instead of just going along with popular theory.
I will always revert back to my long trained experienced Lexus Service Manager who in most cases wants my money. When I asked him about transmission fluid change his reply was " it never needs to be changed and could very well do more harm than good".
Old 05-29-18, 05:52 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by Mrvmax

look up a shop that does BG services. They will do a flush of the system and if the miles are low enough give a warranty.
https://www.bgprod.com/services/
Their lifetime warranty works if you continue to have a BG transmission service every 30k miles and covers damage up to 4k in parts. They apparently believe in ATF fluid changes at regular intervals that they would warranty the parts for lifetime. It just makes sense to change ATF on minimally a 50k schedule on these cars.
Old 05-29-18, 09:38 AM
Mrvmax
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Freds430
I will always revert back to my long trained experienced Lexus Service Manager who in most cases wants my money. When I asked him about transmission fluid change his reply was " it never needs to be changed and could very well do more harm than good".
So where’s his proof? Nothing on a vehicle will last indefinitely and if done properly there is no way it can do harm. Being a service manager means nothing, I know a Chevy mechanic who became service manager. He did more things contrary to mechanical procedures that anyone I’ve heard of. His position does no necessarily equate to him being knowledgeable.

I’ve been in the chemical industry for 25 years and there are no lifetime lubricants. If there were they would be used due to massive cost savings. I know a guy that manages maintenance on large quarry equipment (like those massive dump trucks) and they have a pretty detailed lubricant maintenance plan including fluid sampling and analysis. Guess what? Their equipment is tremendously expensive and none of their equipment (nor lubricants) are lifetime. But, believe what you want.
Old 06-04-18, 09:35 AM
bailey12
Driver School Candidate

Smile Tranny

Salim may have been right about a solenoid problem. I put it to the floor and let the gears wind out to max, hit passing gear a few times and it doesn't hesitate anymore. Maybe I just saved a million bucks💰. Will probably change fluid anyway. Being an old guy I don't drive as fast as I used to.🐌
Old 06-04-18, 10:17 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,158 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrvmax

So where’s his proof? Nothing on a vehicle will last indefinitely and if done properly there is no way it can do harm. Being a service manager means nothing, I know a Chevy mechanic who became service manager. He did more things contrary to mechanical procedures that anyone I’ve heard of. His position does no necessarily equate to him being knowledgeable.

I’ve been in the chemical industry for 25 years and there are no lifetime lubricants. If there were they would be used due to massive cost savings. I know a guy that manages maintenance on large quarry equipment (like those massive dump trucks) and they have a pretty detailed lubricant maintenance plan including fluid sampling and analysis. Guess what? Their equipment is tremendously expensive and none of their equipment (nor lubricants) are lifetime. But, believe what you want.
This is a hard one. Trust you or my Lexus Service Manager who works on Lexus's all day, been trained by Lexus, has over 20 years experience and refuses my money.
Old 06-04-18, 12:58 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
This is a hard one. Trust you or my Lexus Service Manager who works on Lexus's all day, been trained by Lexus, has over 20 years experience and refuses my money.
My Lexus service manager says that it ought to be changed around 50k miles 80K Km at least and has a machine (MOC)) for the task. No fluid lasts forever, unless forever is the length of the warranty
Old 06-06-18, 08:46 AM
Mrvmax
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cocal
My Lexus service manager says that it ought to be changed around 50k miles 80K Km at least and has a machine (MOC)) for the task. No fluid lasts forever, unless forever is the length of the warranty
You pretty much back up the point I’m trying to get across to the people that believe it’s a lifetime fluid. If we asked 10 different service managers we would have 10 different answers. It’s not that difficult to figure out though, go to good old Google and search for a transmission fluid that is guaranteed for life or “lifetime transmission fluid myth” and see what you find. If that’s not good enough find a lubrication engineer and ask him how many lifetime lubricants he uses. You won’t find one since one does not exist but he can listen to that service manager that has convinced him it will last for life.
Old 06-06-18, 09:57 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Seems like a shouting match going on with no end in sight.

Folks have their minds made up and we are not getting any new information.
Readers and seekers of information can go through the thread and make up their own mind.

Time to put and end to this thread.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 06-06-18 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-08-18, 10:33 AM
Mrvmax
Driver School Candidate

Default Transmission flush

I didn’t mean to derail the other thread on transmission service but I did want to post some recent info. I had my 2010 FWD with 61k serviced today. I’ve been using the same transmission shop for years and had them do the BG flush ( as I have on my Accords and Subaru’s I’ve owned in the past). I asked their head mechanic (they are all ASE) about the lifetime transmission fluids in BMW, Lexus etc. to get his take on it. He said from his experience he would consider 100,000 miles as lifetime. I mentioned how I would prefer a dipstick to check levels and he said leaks on the RX are rare from what he’s seen due to the transmission design and any leaks that do occur should be large enough to be visible. He did say the leaks he has seen were due to the seals being nicked or torn during a cv shaft repair. The owner of this shop closes every year and all his mechanics go to training to keep up with changes in the industry so I’m confident in their ability. I’m not trying to revive the other thread but sharing what I learned today. BTW, the service was $280 with tax and if nothing else gives me piece of mind. I’m not debating the topic anymore but wanted to post what he said. If I experience any transmission problems I’ll update the post but I’ve never had any problems with flushing in the past so I doubt I will now.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mrvmax:
Clutchless (06-08-18), salimshah (10-21-18)
Old 10-20-18, 07:25 PM
miamiguy
5th Gear

Question When to change transmission fluid ?

Make, Model : Lexus RX 350
Year: 2012
3rd Gen
automatic transmission, FWD

Thinking of changing my transmission fluid when I reach 60,000 miles.

Is this a good idea?

What do other owners think?
Old 03-05-19, 10:58 AM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is there a DIY thread for changing your transmission fluid?

I can't find it on the sticky, is there one on this forum yet?
Old 03-05-19, 12:45 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by b2884987
I can't find it on the sticky, is there one on this forum yet?
plenty of DIY's in here that don't make it to the sticky. Unofficially IMO it would be this thread. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...d-threads.html
FWIW, I did the cold drain , measure and fill. Optimally it should be done with techstream and temperature range below 113*F and above 95*F the dealer way.

i found the cheap $7 (5.60 with coupon) harbor freight multi-use hand held transfer pump made it virtually a mess free way to fill up straight from the transmission fluid jug.

Last edited by fastnoypi; 03-05-19 at 05:10 PM.

Quick Reply: RX350 Transmission Oil Change (merged threads)