Notices
RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RX350 Transmission Oil Change (merged threads)

Old 10-20-18, 07:25 PM
miamiguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question When to change transmission fluid ?

Make, Model : Lexus RX 350
Year: 2012
3rd Gen
automatic transmission, FWD

Thinking of changing my transmission fluid when I reach 60,000 miles.

Is this a good idea?

What do other owners think?
Old 03-05-19, 10:58 AM
b2884987
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is there a DIY thread for changing your transmission fluid?

I can't find it on the sticky, is there one on this forum yet?
Old 03-05-19, 12:45 PM
fastnoypi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by b2884987 View Post
I can't find it on the sticky, is there one on this forum yet?
plenty of DIY's in here that don't make it to the sticky. Unofficially IMO it would be this thread. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...d-threads.html
FWIW, I did the cold drain , measure and fill. Optimally it should be done with techstream and temperature range below 113*F and above 95*F the dealer way.

i found the cheap $7 (5.60 with coupon) harbor freight multi-use hand held transfer pump made it virtually a mess free way to fill up straight from the transmission fluid jug.

Last edited by fastnoypi; 03-05-19 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-05-19, 01:04 PM
coachz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been lagging but will also do a cold drain using some Valvoline lying around and some clear vinyl purchased from HD to fill from the hood. Purchased new washers from amazon (10pk) and plan to change three consecutive months then annually. At 41k when purchased a new to us 2010RX in September 2018, now at 49k.
Old 03-05-19, 02:21 PM
Clutchless
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 151 Posts

To fill the transmission you have to remove the driver side front tire. Then there is a small flap at the front of the fender liner. It has plastic thing holding it on and I think there is a screw or bolt toward the front under the liner. Anyway, behind the flap is the filler bolt and a long funnel is the best option to fill it.

Note that inside the drain plug is a plastic overflow tube used when adjusting the level using Techstream. Once it stops draining use the same size Allen wrench used to remove the drain plug. When the overflow tube is removed about another quart will come out. When reinstalling do not try to tighten it much as it is plastic that is easily broken and tightness does not matter. It will not go anywhere once the drain plug is back in.
The following users liked this post:
RX in NC (03-07-19)
Old 06-04-19, 07:25 PM
lexuspleus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Lexus RX "transmission fluid change"

2014 Lexus RX350 AWD. with about 100k Kilometers.

I'm not much of a gear head, but I did my research and I watch Scotty Kilmer's videos.

Just want to check some things:
1. This SUV has a transfer case AND a rear differential. Right?
2. Lexus claims these are sealed units with lifetime fluid. Right?
3. Maintaining "transmission" so to speak means replacing the fluid in BOTH the transfer case AND the differential. Right?

I'm about to book an appointment and the dealer is charging $75 CDN to drain+fill each component.So $75 for the xfer case, and $75 for the rear diff. which seem like reasonable prices. I don't want to do these jobs myself and the car is still under powertrain warranty.

I just want to make sure I understand things correctly and am not setting myself up to be ripped off by the dealership. I have never seen a transfer case before and don't quite know how AWD systems work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RX350 Transmission Oil Change (merged threads)

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: