RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Welcome to Club Lexus! 3RX owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-18, 08:09 AM
golftrek
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just purchased a 2015 RX 350, cashmere exterior, parchment interior. Bought it certified and they delivered it with the big red bow (a December to Remember!). I owned a 2006 RX 330 for 10 years, loved that car but it had 200,000 miles and I was ready for something newer with more bells and whistles. I sold the 2006 RX myself on Next-door in 3 days for $6000 (dealer only wanted to give me $3,500 in a trade in).

Buying the car from the dealer was quite an adventure as the dealership that originally had the car didn't want to negotiate on price at all but I got the car transferred to another dealer where I knew someone (both dealers owned by the same company) and the new dealer came down $3000 from the listed price plus gave some some extras (updated the maps, installed roof crossbars and gave me an extra key fob).

Looking forward to being a member of the Forum, I am sure I will have plenty of Qs, especially on the Navigation.
The following users liked this post:
Seabone726 (03-20-20)
Old 12-27-18, 07:53 PM
dustin777
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Midwest owner

Mine is 2012 AWD
RX350

Gray exterior/Black interior
Premium Package
18s
Old 12-28-18, 12:36 PM
lovet79
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. 2015 RX350
2. Navigation
3. Ultra White exterior, Cabernet interior
4. F-Sport
5. 19s

RadiantX45 (04-22-21)
Old 02-09-19, 06:25 PM
ronmaiden
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just snagged a low mileage 2010 and really wasn't what I was intending to buy as I initially was looking for something to replace my '99 4Runner Sport which I just sold yesterday and price searching the RX350 was actually cheaper and with less miles and newer around here in the Denver,CO metro area than a 2009 4Runner with 140,000 miles or even more and my wife wanted something a little nicer and comfy and the Lexus fit the bill and I wanted to stick with Toyota.
I spent the '90s doing the import/sport compact car thing and spent a lot of time drag racing a 1993 Mitsu Eclipse GSX with about 450hp and AWD (ran mid 12s at 5800ft asl) and then moved onto a few 4Runners and off road fun but just wasn't finding time to use the truck like I wanted and it was hard to resist the luxury and reliability of the Lexus and here I am.
We also own a 2012 Focus SE with a few tasteful mods and is our around town/nice weather and great MPG car plus it's a rare 5 speed and I do like rowing gears time to time.

Granite Mica/black leather
Premium and comfort pkg with Navigation
18" Cooper CS5 Ultra touring
Planning on tint matching the front windows(15% on the sunroof),weather tech mats,upgrade interior and exterior lights to LEDs and then my wife will likely stop me.

What I sold

And the practical car...looks pretty sporty and handles well but the RX will beat it in the 1/4 mile.
Old 02-12-19, 08:50 AM
BostonBob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner

2011 Base with NAV
Silver
111K so far
Old 02-19-19, 08:00 PM
coleadam
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

New to the Forum - Snagged this beauty. In-laws have a 2010 Luxury Pac with over 200k miles so i started looking around and couldn't pass up this deal.

1. CPO RX350 - 2015 - 20k MILES! crazy low miles
2. Navigation
3. Nebula Grey - All Black Interior
4. F Sport Package - 19s w/ dem rims
5. This is my first Lexus - but i also have a 92' Hilux with over 305k Miles. Thing is a beast! Best truck of the times and still holds up!
6. Happy to be in the Lexus family!

2015 RX350 F Sport 20K Miles

92' Hilux - 305K Miles - Made in Japan
Old 02-22-19, 11:23 AM
auntrout
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First Time Lexus Owner

1. CPO 2015 RX350
2. Navigation
3. Starfire Pearl and black interior
4. Navigation, Premium Package, Comfort Package
5. 19 inch triple split five spoke wheels
Old 03-04-19, 02:20 AM
HeroDanny
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Red face Bought my first Lexus! ('15 RX350)

Hey everyone, I'm so excited to say that I have finally bought my first lexus! I've never owned a car this nice before, my previous car was a 2010 RAV4, and although I loved the engine in that car, the interior felt uncomfortable and it was loud and just wasn't fun commuting in. So I went for the RX350 because it had the engine I love but also a luxurious feeling ride. I'm so happy with my purchase, I plan on keeping the car for the next 5 years at the least, maybe more.

The car has the comfort package and the tow prep package which is perfect because I do plan on towing a trailer with it and the 3500 lb capacity makes a big difference over the standard.

My plans are to get the windows tinted, I already ordered some genuine lexus weather mats, i'm going to order a trail hitch and the wiring, and the last thing is to get a remote start installed... my lexus dealer quoted me $950 to install the remote starter... does that sound right to you guys?

Anyway, it took me a while to find a 2015 in the gray color with these wheels and black interior and tow package... i'm so excited here's some pictures!

Old 03-04-19, 02:33 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

You said the RX350 you just bought has "tow package", but you are having to install a trailer hitch and wiring? Should already got these on the RX350 IF HAS AN OEM TOW PACKAGE.

We have the remote starter on our LX570. The OEM remote start will shut down the engine as soon as you open any of the doors. You will need to restart the engine with you key fob nearby. Also I think after about 10 minutes the engine will automatically shut down if you don't get to the car before the automatic shut down. Probably reputable aftermarket remote starts are cheaper and better?

We have 3M Crystalline window tinting on all of our vehicles. Cost more vs the cheaper kind, but the heat rejection in the summer is incredibly good. Also visibility at night is way better.

Originally Posted by HeroDanny
Hey everyone, I'm so excited to say that I have finally bought my first lexus! I've never owned a car this nice before, my previous car was a 2010 RAV4, and although I loved the engine in that car, the interior felt uncomfortable and it was loud and just wasn't fun commuting in. So I went for the RX350 because it had the engine I love but also a luxurious feeling ride. I'm so happy with my purchase, I plan on keeping the car for the next 5 years at the least, maybe more.

The car has the comfort package and the tow prep package which is perfect because I do plan on towing a trailer with it and the 3500 lb capacity makes a big difference over the standard.

My plans are to get the windows tinted, I already ordered some genuine lexus weather mats, i'm going to order a trail hitch and the wiring, and the last thing is to get a remote start installed... my lexus dealer quoted me $950 to install the remote starter... does that sound right to you guys?

Anyway, it took me a while to find a 2015 in the gray color with these wheels and black interior and tow package... i'm so excited here's some pictures!

Last edited by lexusrus; 03-04-19 at 02:36 AM.
Old 03-04-19, 04:59 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
You said the RX350 you just bought has "tow package", but you are having to install a trailer hitch and wiring?...
RX350 came with a 'Tow Prep Package'. No hitch.
I passed on that option because I have better tow vehicles.
If it was possible to order a true 'Tow Package' that included a hitch I would have done that as I use a bike rack on everything in my driveway.
I ended up adding a Curt hitch.

Old 03-04-19, 05:38 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by HeroDanny
...I do plan on towing a trailer with it...
If you go with the Curt 13143, don't use their template for cutting the plastic valance.
Take your own measurements for a clean look.
I was not pleased with the oversized hole.
Old 03-04-19, 08:45 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

I wouldn't waste your $$ on Lexus all weather mats. I have a 14 RX and removed the AWM's for WeatherTecs and they cover the carpet much better. Just my opinion.
cfpmartin (07-09-19)
Old 03-04-19, 02:54 PM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 202 Likes on 151 Posts

Are you 100% sure you don't already have remote start? You might check.
Old 03-06-19, 06:23 AM
HeroDanny
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb

You said the RX350 you just bought has "tow package", but you are having to install a trailer hitch and wiring? Should already got these on the RX350 IF HAS AN OEM TOW PACKAGE.
The OEM tow PREP package (my bad) comes with a transmission cooler, larger radiator and larger alternator. My car has all these, I checked the VIN and everything... has it all from the factory.. They actually didn't install the hitch from the factory with the tow prep, but a hitch will take me at most an hour, and the wiring is incredibly easy, it's just one little plug which mine has as I actually looked underneath and saw it.

As for the remote starter, i'll just go OEM, I don't trust best buy or whoever to mess with my wiring.

We have 3M Crystalline window tinting on all of our vehicles. Cost more vs the cheaper kind, but the heat rejection in the summer is incredibly good. Also visibility at night is way better.
Thanks! I'll look into it, I'm going to have someone professionally install it for me. I remember doing my own window tint on my celica and it was a nightmare. lol

Originally Posted by Raoul
If you go with the Curt 13143, don't use their template for cutting the plastic valance.
Take your own measurements for a clean look.
I was not pleased with the oversized hole.
Thanks! I definitely don't want a giant hole, I remember watching the video I thought the gap was a bit too big.

Originally Posted by charley95
I wouldn't waste your $$ on Lexus all weather mats. I have a 14 RX and removed the AWM's for WeatherTecs and they cover the carpet much better. Just my opinion.
uhh... too late it's okay though, I had all weather mats on my RAV4 and I admit that they do cover much better but they are less sleeker and cheaper. They'll suffice for now. Plus I like how they say Lexus on them, I like the factory look.

Originally Posted by Randyp1234
Are you 100% sure you don't already have remote start? You might check.
You press the lock button twice then hold it for 3 seconds right? I tried multiple times but couldn't get it to work.

Also does anyone have suggestions on rain guards for the windows? My RAV4 had flush mounted rain guards and I really like them, but couldn't find a brand name on them anywhere.
Old 03-19-19, 11:23 AM
chrshea
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just bought a 2010 RX450H
  • Grey exterior (Smokey Granite Mica?) with Parchment interior.
  • Has Navigation
  • 18" wheels
  • Built in Japan
I've owned Toyotas for quite some time. I just sold a 2000 Camry and I still have a 2006 Solara and a 2010 Camry Hybrid. My experience with these cars has given me confidence in their durability and reliability. The RX has just over 177,000 KM (110,000 miles) which is less than I have on either of the other cars. I would never have considered any other brand (other than Toyota / Lexus) with this age and mileage.

This RX is in very good condition and should provide reliable service for a long time to come. I don't do a huge amount of driving (it won't be a daily driver) so it will hopefully age very gracefully. Just ordered some WeatherTech mats for the front and rear to help keep the interior in shape. Will probably get some rustproofing done to keep the body in good shape. I've been using Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage oil in the other two cars and I'll probably do the same in this one. It is supposed to be the best choice for high mileage engines.

I've already read a lot about these vehicles, including a lot of stuff about the gas mileage. I'll be doing some experiments to see what kind of gas mileage is possible. I tried it last night doing some local stop and go driving. I managed to get 8.2 L/100 KM (28.7 mpg). That's pretty good considering it's still fairly cold outside. I had to drive it gently to keep the needle in the green zone but I'm used to doing that with the Camry. Need to try the same thing on the highway and I'll need to do it again once it's warmer.

That's it for now. No pics at this point (no point in showing a dirty car!).

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! 3RX owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE