RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How long did you wait? Six weeks and counting and still no sign of an RX

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-09, 09:53 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down How long did you wait? Six weeks and counting and still no sign of an RX

I ordered the Ultra Premium (black on black) about 6 weeks ago and my dealer says that they still haven't heard as to when it will come. They said no one has it still and I may have to wait between now until end of June for it. That would be 3 months!

She said part of the reason is that they build the Ultra Premiums (fully loaded with 2 rear dvd) in Japan whereas the rest (touring package, etc) are built here in Cambridge).

Is this true? I know some have waited 4-6 weeks on theirs to get their color combo, but has anyone else waited this long for their RX (fully loaded or not)?
Old 05-19-09, 11:00 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt it. Hard to believe.

I saw 10 full-loaded RX in 6 different dealers last month (inventory), and test-drove one of them. I doubt they're from J, have to check. Maybe I can say that all my local dealers have at least more than one full-loaded RX in the lots last month.

I can check for you these days and see where those full-loaded RX come from (their VIN).
Old 05-20-09, 03:21 AM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

I also saw fully loaded ones at my dealer (US), can you're dealer just do a swap?

mine took 4-5 weeks to arrive.
Old 05-20-09, 06:20 AM
rcf8000
Pole Position

I have waited about 13 weeks so far. The car is supposed to arrive in the first week of June, they are saying. (Coming from Japan.)
Old 05-20-09, 08:55 AM
AEmgee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DOUS
I ordered the Ultra Premium (black on black) about 6 weeks ago and my dealer says that they still haven't heard as to when it will come. They said no one has it still and I may have to wait between now until end of June for it. That would be 3 months!

She said part of the reason is that they build the Ultra Premiums (fully loaded with 2 rear dvd) in Japan whereas the rest (touring package, etc) are built here in Cambridge).

Is this true? I know some have waited 4-6 weeks on theirs to get their color combo, but has anyone else waited this long for their RX (fully loaded or not)?
Note that Dous is in Canada and we get fewer RX here than across the border.

It`s true - the Ultra Premium, Sport, and Base are pretty much all made in Japan and have VINs starting with J. The Ultra Premium was a popular choice for early buyers (if you are willing to pay MSRP then why wouldn't you order the fully loaded package) and that probably explains your long wait.

The Sport Package is difficult to find as well. For May production, western Canada only got ONE in Obsidian Black!
Old 05-20-09, 09:09 AM
Hal56
Pole Position

if you ordered in early April it should be a May build date and delivered in June.

is there any logic or reason for a lack of sports packages?
Old 05-20-09, 09:25 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rcf8000
I have waited about 13 weeks so far. The car is supposed to arrive in the first week of June, they are saying. (Coming from Japan.)
Did you order the fully loaded too?

Originally Posted by Btmnk21
I also saw fully loaded ones at my dealer (US), can you're dealer just do a swap?

mine took 4-5 weeks to arrive.
I don't think I can do a straight swap without modifying the vehicle a bit. Your cars go by MPH while ours go by KPH. By law if I buy from the states, I need the gauges converted and DRL converted.

Wish it was that easy.
Old 05-20-09, 01:25 PM
LexFather

Not just you. New Prius allocation has been nutty as well.
Old 05-20-09, 03:41 PM
AEmgee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hal56
is there any logic or reason for a lack of sports packages?
Apparently Lexus has decided that these will not be popular in Canada! The possible reasons might include: RX is not sporty no matter what you label the package; RX buyers tend to be older buyers or women who may not be that interested in spirited driving; lots of people want a steering wheel with wood; and the difference between the regular and sports-tuned suspension is not clearly discernible unless you make an effort to notice.

Oddly enough, 2 of the 4 dealerships in my area have Sport Package vehicles as their demonstrators.
Old 05-20-09, 05:08 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AEmgee
Apparently Lexus has decided that these will not be popular in Canada! The possible reasons might include: RX is not sporty no matter what you label the package; RX buyers tend to be older buyers or women who may not be that interested in spirited driving; lots of people want a steering wheel with wood; and the difference between the regular and sports-tuned suspension is not clearly discernible unless you make an effort to notice.

Oddly enough, 2 of the 4 dealerships in my area have Sport Package vehicles as their demonstrators.
Well said. Lexus seems not to provide RX with the impressive "Sporty" suspension or setup. Most of Sport Pkg vehicles can make you feel the difference right after you move it. I don't feel this on RX. But, RX+Sport_Pkg does do corner a little better and contain the body roll better, however, the ride is a little noiser (maybe it's caused by the 19").

I test-drove back and forth on the same roads (2 miles). Unfortunately, there was no 18" with Sport Pkg, otherwise, I can get the better comparison.

Originally Posted by rxets
I was expecting to feel the big difference between sport and non-sport. However, I didn't feel that way.

I test-drove
3 regular AWD RX (prem, navi, comf)
1 AWD RX with full-loaded packages (prem, navi, comf, lux, sport, rear ent)
1 AWD RX with sport package (prem, navi, comf, sport).

I did feel RX with the sport package had less body-rolling issues, but, be honest to you, I really couldn't feel it had stiff suspensions. Usually other sedans' sport and non-sport make the huge difference on riding, performance, handling, etc. But, RX isn't like that. IMO.

Perhaps, this is Lexus RX. You won't find the same driving passion on this vehicle as others (X5, Q5, Cayenne, etc), and Lexus probably will never make RX be like them. It's the way Lexus wants to go.
Old 05-20-09, 06:08 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

AEmgee., Thanks for your answer. do you work for Lexus?

I would've settled for the Sport package as I love the super chrome wheels better or even settled for Touring pckg, but I have 2 small kids and I NEED the dual DVD screens in the back.
Old 05-21-09, 10:35 AM
AEmgee
Driver School Candidate

AEmgee., Thanks for your answer. do you work for Lexus?

I would've settled for the Sport package as I love the super chrome wheels better or even settled for Touring pckg, but I have 2 small kids and I NEED the dual DVD screens in the back.
No, I am just a consumer looking to buy!
Old 05-21-09, 06:34 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The salesperson I'm working with said that they input their orders into the system on the 20th of the month. A special order then takes 8-10 weeks from that point to arrive in CA. So if you ordered on the 21st of the month, it could stretch out the wait time even further...

FWIW.

Sandi
Old 05-21-09, 09:39 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

I just ordered a 450h fairly well equiped. My dealer told me they had an order cut off of may 22 for cars to be built in July and that it takes about 3-4 weeks to get to dealer after build date (depending west vs east).

I have no idea how Lexus plans production but I doubt what my dealer told me is true. It would seem to me that the aforementioned schedule might be better in that I think Lexus probably schedules weekly production. The issue is then how long does it really take from when it gets to the production system to the actual production.

Apparently at least for the hybrid there is a separate fty for that. One would think that with the economy what it is they would be throttling back on production and wanting to advance cars sold vs cars for inventory.

Take this chrysler thing for example (yes-I know its different than toyota) but my guess is given all that's going on dealers want fewer cars in inventory for a lot of reasons now including getting stuck with cars if the fty cuts you off.

perhaps we wil be seeing a migration to a mostly special order your car situation. Or worse if the government (or hedge fund managers who buy and sell companies and have no clue how to run a company) gets more involved with running companies.
Old 05-22-09, 04:38 AM
JB330Ci
Driver School Candidate

Hi Hal56,

Do you mind sharing what sort of package/options/deal did you get? TIA.

Quick Reply: How long did you wait? Six weeks and counting and still no sign of an RX