RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Is It Possible to RENT an RX350?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-09, 01:00 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Is It Possible to RENT an RX350?

Hi all:

So, the RX350 is high on my list as a next car. We test drove it, and liked it well enough.

One of our big concerns is comfort over a long weekend, driving 700+ miles. So I'd like to rent one.

Are there any rental companies that offer Lexuses as an option? Or are there any dealers that would allow such an arrangement?

Any advice you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sandi
Old 04-11-09, 06:39 AM
tfischer

Received 203 Likes on 152 Posts

For a rental, you would probably have to try a specialty rental place, but even then it's a long shot. These places have high end cars, but I have never heard of any of them carrying an RX. (Lots of Porsches, though.)
As for the dealer, you can ask, but I strongly doubt it. I think you will have to judge the car like everyone else by taking test drives around town. In certain instances, dealers may let you have a demo for a weekend, but not for a trip out of town, and only if you have "all the right credenzas."
Finally, if you look around you on the highway, you will see many RX cars zipping along the road - look to see if the occupants appear to be in any discomfort or distress.
Oh, for god's sake, just buy it!
Stimulate the economy!
Old 04-11-09, 08:12 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

LOL! I have managed to stimulate the economy just fine so far.

My concern is more than the average "how comfy is it?" question. Both my husband and I have had spinal surgery.

Our current family car, which was comfortable enough pre-surgery now leaves us in pain after a 6 hour drive.

I'm not about to drop $40K+, and sell my 3 year old car, only to have the same problem.

Thanks for your reply.

Sandi
Old 04-11-09, 08:18 AM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My knowledge of the car seats:

-heated/cool
-10-way power (tilt, up/down, forward back)
-Adjustable lumbar support
-retract when you leave
-reposition when you start the car
-optional cushion extender

I think the only thing in terms of comfort that could be added would be a massage feature...seems like they are pretty loaded.
Old 04-11-09, 12:33 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

once those cars become loaners, you can "rent" them for a weekend at a costly price. i think its 50+ per day. im pretty sure there are a lot of these loaner services because i remember hearing about how you can have lexus drop you off at the airport in a loaner for free too.
Old 04-13-09, 12:19 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go sit in one for six hours at a dealer one day. Take a break after 3 hours and get back in for the last 3. See how you back does after this
Old 04-13-09, 06:55 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Very helpful, Billy. Thanks.

Sandi
Old 04-09-16, 05:18 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
LOL! I have managed to stimulate the economy just fine so far.

My concern is more than the average "how comfy is it?" question. Both my husband and I have had spinal surgery.

Our current family car, which was comfortable enough pre-surgery now leaves us in pain after a 6 hour drive.

I'm not about to drop $40K+, and sell my 3 year old car, only to have the same problem.

Thanks for your reply.

Sandi
Hello - just wondering what you ended up doing to answer this question as I have the same question.
Also I see that the new 2016 RX has a "4 way power lumbar adjustment" which theoretically is better than the usual two way lumbar in older models. But I don't really want to spend on a brand new one - I'm looking possibly into a CPO 3rd Gen….
Old 04-09-16, 05:26 PM
tincan13
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sandy: Just don't consider the F-Sport model. They have a stiffer ride that the RX350
Old 04-09-16, 06:49 PM
tfischer

The RC may well be too low to the ground for people with back issues, and the side bolsters won't help either when you enter and exit, and on the road they are more restrictive than the usual sedan. It sounds to me like what you really need is an LS, but a GS would do nicely. (Or look for one of those Plymouth station wagons from the 60s with front seats that swivel out when you open the door.)
Old 04-09-16, 08:47 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I fully disagree with the above statement. I have had back issues for at least 20 years and find bolsters an absolute requirement to my comfort. I'm the most comfortable in my 2 inch from the ground Z4 M Sport Seats that are hard as a rock. I've found that in most cases, things are the opposite of what is believed to be true. Those who are into cycling can relate to this statement. They likely started on the widest cushiest saddle they could find and quickly learned to go to the hardest and narrowest saddle that fit and suddenly you're in riding bliss. Motorcycle seats can be the same. The harder brands seem to be the most comfortable, though you don't think so for a minute comparing them side by side. The shape of the seat is a big factor and we are all different, so a good long test drive is the best option. To the LS/GS comparison, the LS seats are supreme compared to the GS, but I was most comfortable in the GS hands down. I would sink in the LS causing back issues.
Old 04-09-16, 09:20 PM
tqh
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sandi, you should check out the peer to peer car sharing services, for examples: relayrides, getaround, carhopper. I've looked at them before, they have Lexus, including RX and even the more expensive GX.
You probably want to make sure the lumbar support in the RX fits you well. The control only lets it go in and out, but not up and down like the one in the LS.
Old 04-09-16, 11:17 PM
vteazy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just so we're all clear, Sandi's posts are from 2009. I'm sure a decision has been made by now .

Bostonsnow, I'm not sure what you're looking for, but I had L5/S1 fusion last year and my 3rd Gen RX cradles me perfectly. Since surgery I'm never in pain, but I do still get uncomfortable when seated for extended periods. The RX's seats are highly adjustable and we took it 6 hours round trip the week we bought it (a month ago) and my wife commented at the end of the trip that she didn't see me adjusting my legs and back every so often as I used to do in our '13 RAV4. I'm 6'0" and 200 pounds.

I give it a solid for ride comfort from the seat and suspension.
Old 04-10-16, 08:29 AM
tfischer

Never mind about the bolsters, I thought this post was in the RC forum, and that the OP with the bad back was inquiring about and RC. An RX would be fine for someone with back issues, and those seats have no bolsters. However, I am intrigued by RJ who has, in his life, "found that in most cases, things are the opposite of what is believed to be true." I hope he's not a doctor.
Old 04-10-16, 08:09 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
Never mind about the bolsters, I thought this post was in the RC forum, and that the OP with the bad back was inquiring about and RC. An RX would be fine for someone with back issues, and those seats have no bolsters. However, I am intrigued by RJ who has, in his life, "found that in most cases, things are the opposite of what is believed to be true." I hope he's not a doctor.
Nope, not a doc. Just a long term sufferer of back pain. Soft usually translates to pressure points and a sagging spine. Wider usually means you have to support yourself more, if your body type is too narrow for the profile. Supportive is key. It's the only way to keep proper alignment to prevent muscle spasms. Unless you get into the top tier price point, most car seats don't adjust or support enough. You have to drive the car long to see if the limitations of the seats will cause discomfort.

With regards to the most cases comment; the older I get, the more I realize I don't know anything.

Quick Reply: Is It Possible to RENT an RX350?