RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 owner: First issue surfaces:

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-09, 09:37 PM
tsmith167
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone used it with an iphone? Does it have any feedback when the phone is checking email or performing other task? Thanks.
Old 02-24-09, 08:13 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Peterrun, when your ipod lost connection, did the ipod still have power in the battery?
Old 02-24-09, 09:46 AM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts

G Man . . Yes. . . It happened with both iPods . . was never a battery issue. As I stated in an earlier post, I went to our Apple store at the Grove, bought the official USB connector and replaced the old cord. So far, the iPods have been working perfectly in the new RX. It's only been two days. . .but it's holding its connection. Will fill you in if it fails. p
Old 02-24-09, 11:54 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Peter, Apple change their power connection in later gen. Ipods, it is now powered on a differnt pin on the connector. Power now comes in on the firewire connection, so you need a firewire powered cable. Thats why your old cable didnt work. If you buy a later gen Ipod, it will not charge on alot of the older docker stations. Another case of Apple just randomly changing thing for no good reason at all.

Last edited by The G Man; 02-24-09 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-24-09, 08:20 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

i thought they changed the power pin too but it was the reverse: the old models used the firewire pin and the newer ones use the usb pin. maybe i've got it backwards but was pretty sure that the new iphones for example don't charge via the firewire pin. whatever. as long as the new cable works.
Old 02-24-09, 08:30 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Take it to the dealer and have them check it out.......
Old 02-24-09, 11:18 PM
Peterun
Pit Crew

BAD NEWS! It's back! Drove LA to Palm Springs today and the iPod failed. I remove the connection to the iPod for 1/2 second . . . and it comes back on . . . lasts for perhaps 20 minutes to 1/2 hour and fails repeatedly. It is not the connecting wire. Again, as a retail buyer, I refuse to be part of the experiment this early in the game. I will wait until others have the same problem . . .Perhaps in six months there will be a proper fix. All else is good. p
Old 02-24-09, 11:23 PM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Default 2010 iPod repeated failure is back!

Thought I had this thing licked . . . Went to Apple store and bought factory UCB wire connector. Seemed to hold for a few days. . .BAD NEWS! It's back! Drove LA to Palm Springs today and the iPod failed. I remove the connection to the iPod for 1/2 second . . . and it comes back on . . . lasts for perhaps 20 minutes to 1/2 hour and fails repeatedly. It is not the connecting wire. This occurs on both of my iPods - one is the new iTouch; the other is a newer "wheel controlled" model with the video screen. Again, as a retail buyer, I refuse to be part of the experiment this early in the game. I will wait until others have the same problem . . .Perhaps in six months there will be a proper fix. Any ideas on this other than to go to service and be part of the experiment/in-service? All else is good. p
Old 02-25-09, 05:55 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Is the battery dead on the ipod?
Old 02-25-09, 05:58 AM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Default No

Battery is full function . . . . on both iPods. Also . . the iPod that is connected is always being charged. It's not connected through the headphone jack. p
Old 02-25-09, 06:06 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like you have a bad ipod interface, take a picture when it fails and show it to your dealer. Might be just a loose connection.
Old 02-27-09, 04:59 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure which iPod you have but is there something that puts it into 'sleep' mode after a certain period of time without activity? If so, can you try turning that off.

I know that shouldn't do it as the darn thing is playing but maybe it's worth checking out as an easy thing prior to exploring mechanical/electrical issues.

Or, I could just be full of it! Just trying to help.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

Jay
Old 02-27-09, 10:12 AM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Jay . . . No . . both of my iPods work perfectly in my other car. I made one small change . . and perhaps this will work: I modified the equalization on both iPods from "Loud" to "flat." It is possible that the "Loud" setting puts too much load on the RX system. I did drive back from Palm Springs to LA yesterday with this setting in place and did not experience failure. Keep your fingers crossed for me. BTW, I refuse to go OCD on this stuff. It might sound as though I'm obsessed with perfection . . Quite the contrary. I love how Native Americans like to "sew in a flaw" in all of their blankets and rugs. It's healthy to accept The iPod integration problem in my new RX is a "luxury issue," and I think it's important to keep a healthy perspective on the real quality in our lives. What is that Lexus motto? "Quest for perfection?" I'm paraphrasing . . .something along those lines though. I think it's healthier to try to co-exist with the small imperfections which surface from time to time. Thank you for your care and help. peter
Old 02-27-09, 11:12 AM
ciparis
Rookie

Mine's been flaky too, Peter. It's been behaving more recently, but my commutes are under an hour (usually for me it either fails when I plug it in, taking out the steering-wheel volume controls with it, or it works fine for the entire trip).

Fwiw, mine's an iPhone 3G with the latest firmware (not in the "officially supported" list, but the audio playback support is supposed to be identical through the USB for all external devices according to Apple so there you go). Most of the time it works great.

Last edited by ciparis; 02-27-09 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-28-09, 04:38 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great attitiude Peter! I watched a video link that someone forwarded to me last week from the Conan O'Brien show. Not sure if it was recent or an old favorite but it was a comedian talking about how impatient and ridiculous we can get when our technology doesn't behave. Some examples he uses:

When we get mad at a two hour delay on a flight from NY to San Francisco. His response: "It used to take 30 years to make that trip. By the time you got there you had a whole new family and half of your party had died on the trip!".

Or the guy that got upset b/c the internet connection on the airplane stopped working. . . I probably don't need to list his response!

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link so mods - please remove if this is not allowed but if anyone is interested it may give you a chuckle:

http://barefootmeg.multiply.com/vide..._nobodys_happy

So if anyone has seen it - very funny. Reminds me of your approach and patience regarding the 'pursuit of perfection'. I'm sure Lexus will get it right but I agree - let someone else give them their car to tear apart to see if it's a mechanical issue or software based.

Good luck and please keeep us updated.

Jay