RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

battery needs constant boost

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-23, 02:53 AM
muni
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery needs constant boost

help please! My battery needs a boost after sitting for 10 to 14 days.(It's less than 2yrs old.) I go to the cottage but once there I would not have to drive for awhile. Lexus tells me it should be driven min. every 3 days. As a flight attendant I'm away from home for stretches at a time & now impossible to rely on my car to get me home.
Old 09-18-23, 04:43 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 393 Likes on 312 Posts

If your car routinely sits for a couple of weeks at a time, you need to utilize a battery tender if you can. Where is it parked when it sits? You will need access to an electrical outlet.
Old 09-18-23, 05:02 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,112 Likes on 949 Posts

If your vehicle is parked outside you can utilize a solar battery maintainer. They connect to your battery, then run the thin wire under and out the rear of the hood and into the vehicle via a front door then place the solar panel on your dash. Park where the sun will hit it several hours a day. This will keep your battery in a charged condition for when you return.
I have one of these and it works great as I do a yearly car sitting for a friend who travels out of the country for several months. I leave it on the car and then drive it every couple of weeks to keep it fresh. You can get one for under $40 at Amazon etc. You need to connect it to the battery as the power outlets inside the car do not have power when it is turned off.
Here is a $15 one!

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-wat...ner-64251.html

Or this stronger one for $28 https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ery-maintainer

Or as recommended below by another member this one that connects to the OBD 2 port which is a universal car testing connector under the dash by the steering wheel, so everything is inside the car
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...xoCMKYQAvD_BwE

If you have access to a power outlet, or park indoors and have power, you can use a battery maintainer that plugs into the wall. It too connects to your battery and will keep it in a charged state for your return. They are also under $40, although you can spend more.

Last edited by Clutchless; 09-18-23 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-18-23, 05:38 AM
WHLex4
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the same issue with a BMW -- one thing that helps that car is locking the doors - -seems to shut down all sorts of equipment that otherwise drain the battery. I do have a battery tender for that car and, during periods of non-use, keep the car trickle-charged.
Old 09-18-23, 08:27 AM
BillUK
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
If your vehicle is parked outside you can utilize a solar battery maintainer. They connect to your battery, then run the thin wire under and out the rear of the hood and into the vehicle via a front door then place the solar panel on your dash. Park where the sun will hit it several hours a day. This will keep your battery in a charged condition for when you return.
I have one of these and it works great as I do a yearly car sitting for a friend who travels out of the country for several months. I leave it on the car and then drive it every couple of weeks to keep it fresh. You can get one for under $40 at Amazon etc. You need to connect it to the battery as the power outlets inside the car do not have power when it is turned off.
Here is a $15 one!
There are also solar ones that connect to the OBD2 port, which negates the need to connect directly to the battery.
Old 09-18-23, 11:08 AM
Clutchless

Thanks for that tip on OBD2 port connectivity! It makes the process easier and no visible wire!
I just told my brother-in-law to get one because he rarely drives his ancient Honda and it is on a Solar charger hooked to the battery.
​​​​​​https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...xoCMKYQAvD_BwE

Last edited by Clutchless; 09-18-23 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-21-23, 06:34 AM
Non
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by muni
help please! My battery needs a boost after sitting for 10 to 14 days.(It's less than 2yrs old.) I go to the cottage but once there I would not have to drive for awhile. Lexus tells me it should be driven min. every 3 days. As a flight attendant I'm away from home for stretches at a time & now impossible to rely on my car to get me home.
My car sits for four to five weeks when I travel and always starts when I come back. My battery is 2 years old. I think your car has a problem with parasitic drain or the battery is going bad.
Old 09-21-23, 03:08 PM
muni
10th Gear

Default battery tender

Originally Posted by RX in NC
If your car routinely sits for a couple of weeks at a time, you need to utilize a battery tender if you can. Where is it parked when it sits? You will need access to an electrical outlet.
My car sits out side. I have access to an outlet, but forgive me for being niave can you close the hood on the wires, to protect from weather like snow, freezing rain etc?
Old 09-21-23, 03:09 PM
muni
10th Gear

thanks! I guess I have to see the Lexus dealer & hope they can fix it or replace
Old 09-21-23, 03:10 PM
muni
10th Gear

thanks I'll go to the dealer
Old 09-21-23, 04:43 PM
salimshah

Received 1,011 Likes on 913 Posts

Ummm ,, imho dealer should not be your first choice. If you are part of AAA call them and ask them to check your battery ... they would have new battery to sell you too [cheaper than dealership]

I would go to auto part store and have them check your battery + charging system under load. If there is an issue with the charging system, then by all means go to the dealer.

If it is the battery then you can purchase one at the store.

Keep in mind, every time you start the vehicle it draws immense energy and you need to run the vehicle roughly 30 mins to recover.

Salim
Old 09-21-23, 05:31 PM
muni
10th Gear

Thank you for the advice. I'm in Canada so I will call CAA to do a check. I pay enormous insurance for this car as it is a target for theft. At least no one can steal it if it won't start! HAHA In Canada I've shopped around for batteries but no one will install & had to go to Lexus. At $500+ a pop, too expensive to keep it up, but I believe my existing one still under warranty
Old 09-21-23, 09:40 PM
salimshah

Received 1,011 Likes on 913 Posts

I am surprised to know that an RX 3rd gen is a target for theft. The immobilizer should make it a difficult target.

Yes CAA should be able to help and the best part is that you are under warranty ... so make use of it.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 09-22-23 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-22-23, 07:04 AM
Clutchless

If your car sits outside and you get a solar battery charger that connects to the battery you can easily run the wires under the hood and out near the windshield edge, then route them into the car at the door and sort of hide, tuck it in along the edges. I have done this many times as I have taken care of cars for friends who have traveled for months at a time. Then place the solar panel on your dash and plug the wires together.

The solar chargers that connect to the OBD2 port are easier to connect. The OBD2 port is very easy to find if you just look under the dash between the steering column and door. It is the same on every car and is used to connect computers to the car computers to diagnose problems. Government safety or emissions inspectors use it for inspection of the systems. So you just find it, remove the cover if it has one and plug the solar connector wire into it. Very easy.

​​​​​​https://www.verizon.com/support/know...e%20Hum%20FAQs.

Last edited by Clutchless; 09-22-23 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09-22-23, 08:55 AM
WHLex4
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

For the BMW noted above, I have this:
Amazon Amazon
which plugs into the lighter (it does come with clamps for attachment to the battery). I use it at the train station parking lot - I place the panel on the dashboard next to the windshield and plug it into the cigar lighter. As the car sits outside it charges all day - I always find it easy to start when I come back to it. Perhaps one of our mods will advise as to whether the lighter plug in Lexus are active when the car is off such that this type of panel will work?

Last edited by WHLex4; 09-22-23 at 09:02 AM.

Quick Reply: battery needs constant boost