RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Steering wheel vibrating when braking at high speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-23, 05:39 PM
Paul4949
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cdnewton
In my case, excessive lateral runout was the culprit -- the hub/rotor combo was the issue ... a good read:
http://www.procutusa.com/zipfind.aspx or https://www.procutusa.com/FindRotorMatching.aspx

Some of the other threads on here talk about upgrading to better calipers/rotors and I think that is a better long-term fix, but checking the lateral runout was helpful in my situation.
I have never heard of a shop in my area that will turn the rotor while it is on the car. I will check around tomorrow to find out. I do not doubt the process of turning the rotors while they are still on the car. But in my 57 years of being a professional shade tree mechanic, I have never gone that route, a simple turn of the rotors always sufficed. Again I am going to find a local shop that does this and see what happens.

Last edited by Paul4949; 09-04-23 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-05-23, 05:55 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 462 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix
The cause is the uneven transfer of the friction material between the pad & rotor, which cause the brake pedal pulsations. All it takes is just a small amount to feel this thru the pedal. My brother & I found that the gen 2's are underbraked for the weight of this vehicle. I did a cost effective brake upgrade using pads/rotors/calipers from a gen 3. The cost of pads/rotors are pretty much awash price wise. You'd be out w/ a pr of reman gen 3 calipers.>> Direct bolt on. >>>One look at the pads # 1005 (gen2) vs #1325 (gen3) as well as >>single piston calipers vs the gen3 dual piston calipers. Since your there< I'd also add SS brake hoses for a gen3 & flush the old fluid out w/ new dot3. I went w/ the Hawk Talon rotors & performance ceramic pads & Goodridge SS brake hose kit from http://tirerack.com & a pr of reman gen3 calipers from oreilly parts. Just throw your oem calipers into the boxes to get your core $ back vs shipping them back somewhere. btw they do offer two different calipers types basically where the vehicle was manufactured USA (Canada) or Japan, which doesn't matter. I did make a thread 'bout this= "Cost Effective Brake upgrade"
Originally Posted by unebonnevi
@Felix Are you suggesting to replace both calipers? That means replacing all the pads and rotors as well. Well, I could have the rotors resurfaced. I need to check if the pistons are also OK. If not, a good reason to replace the calipers.

Thanks.
The break down is to upgrading your front brakes for bigger gen3 setup...Bigger rotors, pads that are a 1/3rd bigger & two piston calipers vs the oem single piston calipers= more pad/rotor surface area w/ two caliper pistons vs the single piston. Direct bolt on...The oem gen 2 brakes, I find are to small for the weight of the vehicle= 4200#......
Old 09-05-23, 06:40 PM
Paul4949
Rookie

Originally Posted by Felix
The break down is to upgrading your front brakes for bigger gen3 setup...Bigger rotors, pads that are a 1/3rd bigger & two piston calipers vs the oem single piston calipers= more pad/rotor surface area w/ two caliper pistons vs the single piston. Direct bolt on...The oem gen 2 brakes, I find are to small for the weight of the vehicle= 4200#......
I have never had this problem before with this vehicle it is my wifes, we have owned it for probably seven years now. I have done several brake jobs on the car. Why would uneven friction distribution be showing up now?

Last edited by Paul4949; 09-05-23 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-06-23, 03:03 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Paul4949
I have never had this problem before with this vehicle it is my wifes, we have owned it for probably seven years now. I have done several brake jobs on the car. Why would uneven friction distribution be showing up now?
TV (thickness variation) of the rotors. All it takes is a few ten thousands of a inch to show up thru the brake pedal. Uneven transfer layer deposits of pad material on the rotors. I'd also add that the gen 2 brake system is under engineered for the (4200#) weight of this vehicle. One look at the gen 2 pads #1005 vs the gen3 #1324 pads, as well as the gen 2 single piston calipers vs the gen 3 two piston calipers as well as 12.5'' vs 12.9'' rotors. This is a great cost effective brake upgrade....Go to your local auto parts store & ask to see #1005 pads & #1324 pads......as that'd give you a great visual look.....
The following users liked this post:
Paul4949 (09-06-23)
Old 09-07-23, 04:22 PM
Paul4949
Rookie

Well, the problem was the rotors had them turned and no vibration in the steering wheel now. The new ones were warped from the factory. Go Figure.
Old 09-09-23, 09:17 PM
cfh13427
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMik
First rule of diagnosing a problem is that ALL parts are suspect. Just because a part is new, almost new or checked by someone else, never skip checking that part. The first thing I would do is have the rotors checked for runout or a light resurfacing done.

I doubt that the calipers are the problem, but if you replace them, that does not require that you to replace the rotors and pads.
Hi, As a former Toyota/Lexus Master Tech with 30+ Years experience, it has been my Experience that 85/90% of brake pedal vibration and/or steering wheel vibration while applying the brakes is a Warped Rotor(s).
There are other Causes, but Warped Rotor(s) are the #1 Cause, and Ceramic Brake Pads make it worse on the earlier RX's because of the composition of the brake pad and the Increased pedal pressure needed to Slow/Stop the car and the relatively Small/Thin rotors on the Early model RX's.
I spent numerous hours in my early tech years troubleshooting a car's problem, and one of the Main Reasons was " that Part is New"!!
Well, It Doesn't Mean a Thing just because it's New!
Old 09-10-23, 12:18 PM
Paul4949
Rookie

Originally Posted by cfh13427
Hi, As a former Toyota/Lexus Master Tech with 30+ Years experience, it has been my Experience that 85/90% of brake pedal vibration and/or steering wheel vibration while applying the brakes is a Warped Rotor(s).
There are other Causes, but Warped Rotor(s) are the #1 Cause, and Ceramic Brake Pads make it worse on the earlier RX's because of the composition of the brake pad and the Increased pedal pressure needed to Slow/Stop the car and the relatively Small/Thin rotors on the Early model RX's.
I spent numerous hours in my early tech years troubleshooting a car's problem, and one of the Main Reasons was " that Part is New"!!
Well, It Doesn't Mean a Thing just because it's New!
The rotors was the culprit. I run ceramic pads on my 2004 RX330 do you recommend running metallic pads?
Old 09-10-23, 01:44 PM
cfh13427
Pit Crew

The rotors was the culprit. I run ceramic pads on my 2004 RX330 do you recommend running metallic pads?
Yes I Do.
The Semi-Metallic pads are a little bit noisier, and they dust the the wheels a little bit, but they will Stop Great, and they Won't Warp the Rotors!
There are many Good Semi-Metallic Pads available for your RX, likel Akebono.
A Semi-Metallic pad does Not Require the pedal pressure that a ceramic pad does and the rotor doesn't get nearly as Hot and the rotor doesn't Warp!
On the later model RX's, a Ceramic pad is the Preferred Pad!
My opinion only, but it's worked for many of my customers!
Paul4949 (09-11-23)
Old 09-10-23, 06:06 PM
Felix
Pole Position

IDK if you have a few or a lot of hill's, but what I've find is turning the rotors will do the job/work for awhile......Great idea is to clean up the hub/mounting surface before installing the rotors. Brake pad material has sure changed alot over the years. There are a few brake manufactures that have different ceramic pads w/ varies compressablity. Just to add you'll find changing the brake hoses to SS or even new oem ones as well as flushing out the old brake fluid w/ new dot3 to have less pedal travel. Yes the gen3 upgrade you'll find even less pedal travel & depending on the pads have less pedal travel......
Paul4949 (09-11-23)
Old 03-25-24, 09:38 AM
Paul4949
Rookie

Yes I Do.
The Semi-Metallic pads are a little bit noisier, and they dust the the wheels a little bit, but they will Stop Great, and they Won't Warp the Rotors!
There are many Good Semi-Metallic Pads available for your RX, likel Akebono.
A Semi-Metallic pad does Not Require the pedal pressure that a ceramic pad does and the rotor doesn't get nearly as Hot and the rotor doesn't Warp!
On the later model RX's, a Ceramic pad is the Preferred Pad!
My opinion only, but it's worked for many of my customers!

So you recommend running a semi metallic over a ceramic pad on a 2004 RX330 AWD

Last edited by Paul4949; 03-25-24 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-26-24, 03:49 PM
Felix
Pole Position

I'm running the Hawk Talon rotors w/ Hawk's performance ceramic pads (yellow box) I also swapped out the oem brake hoses w/ Goodridge SS brake hoses as well as flush out the old brake fluild w/ new dot 3 fluid..http://tirerack.com has Hawk Talon pads/rotors on sale till the end of April btw....I run Baer's Matrix pads which are ceramic & come w/ their BBK's on other vehicles,...13'' or 14'' two piece rotors & 4 or six piston caliper's......
Paul4949 (03-26-24)
Old 03-26-24, 08:45 PM
rlee777
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Warped rotors can occur even with new rotors installed. The main culprit? Techs who do not follow a star (criss cross) pattern when torquing down the lug nuts. Better to torque the lug nuts manually (no impact wrenches) in two or three stages until the final torque spec. Very easy to damage new rotors if you use an impact to tighten lug nuts.
fred9xx (03-27-24)
Old 03-27-24, 12:35 AM
75damien
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Always use OEM on Lexus

Hi I worked at Lexus toyota 14 yrs. In my 3 decades of working in foreign vehicles , Lexus and Toyotas do so much better with oem rotors and pads. I got cheap on my 08 rx350 with Napa premium and in 1 and a half yrs had pulsation issues. Then spent the money with oem rotors and pads no issues for 3 yrs now. Also had same problem with my 00 es300. Bought from a private seller they changed out front pad and rotors with cheap Autozone parts had to recharge out with oem rotors and pads. So hopefully you’ve had your issue resolved. Thought I’d give my 2 cents
The following 2 users liked this post by 75damien:
fred9xx (03-27-24), Paul4949 (03-27-24)
Old 03-27-24, 07:59 PM
cfh13427
Pit Crew

I have a 2005 RX330 w/AWD and that's what I've been using.
The inconvenience of a little brake dust and a little more noise, is Far Better than Warped Rotors from using Ceramic Pads on the older RX's.
The Rotors on the older RX's are too small and too thin to handle the Heat caused by Ceramic pads!!
Old 03-27-24, 10:31 PM
75damien
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default OEM over aftermarket

I have a 2005 RX330 w/AWD and that's what I've been using.
The inconvenience of a little brake dust and a little more noise, is Far Better than Warped Rotors from using Ceramic Pads on the older RX's.
The Rotors on the older RX's are too small and too thin to handle the Heat caused by Ceramic pads!!
like I said OEM over after market parts. But if money is the issue then do what you gotta do.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel vibrating when braking at high speed