RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Warranty Enhancement-Cracked Dash Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-19, 12:40 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

I think that this kind of situation is an excellent reason to go to https://drivers.lexus.com/ and register the car under your name. This way Lexus has your name & address as the owner of the car and any mailings such as recalls will be sent to you.

You can also see the car's service history, download owner's manuals and a few other things.
The following users liked this post:
JMW (11-06-21)
Old 03-11-19, 03:44 PM
rich001
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Alexia56, please keep us informed, I also have a 2005 RX330 (original owner) with the cracked dash. I never got around to taking it to Lexus all these years. On another note, does anyone know how much the dash is if I decide to do it myself? Thanks
Old 03-11-19, 04:38 PM
Hobbes22
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

I was quoted $850 for a dash, $1250 if I had it installed.
JMW (11-06-21)
Old 03-17-19, 09:05 PM
LewisLou
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alexia56, did you take yours to the dealer and what did they say?

my 2008 started having cracks last summer. Never received letter from Lexus.
adrives (04-11-19)
Old 04-05-19, 05:19 PM
StacyRX330
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Add me to the list...

Called local dealer today for info. I bought my '05 RX330 used 18 months ago, and never noticed the fine cracks in dash, but it was past the extended date anyway. Now there are chunks missing. Just gone. Actually took a sharpie to color in the lovely yellow foam under the leather. So much for driving a high end car.

Dealer told me they sometimes reissue recall/repair extension. He said there are SO many people affected- millions- that they might have needed a "break" and they might change. Fingers crossed. I was told over 1k for dash pad alone, not including labor.

I plan on writing to Lexus because they consider this to be purely cosmetic- but in my case anyway, it is safety too. I took my car to a guy that does repair work and he said he wouldn't touch it because if the airbag were to deploy, one of the "chunks" would become a missile in the car and he doesn't want the liability... I do not have high hopes but may be worth a try.
Old 04-05-19, 05:33 PM
Hobbes22
Driver

I feel your pain, but I have a very hard time believing Lexus is going to fix cars this old.

Edit: unless someone can really make a safety claim.

Last edited by Hobbes22; 04-05-19 at 05:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hobbes22:
adrives (04-11-19), StacyRX330 (04-05-19)
Old 04-05-19, 05:40 PM
StacyRX330
Driver School Candidate

I know you're right but I am just so upset about it. Shocking that a company like Lexus is so far removed from good customer service.
The following 2 users liked this post by StacyRX330:
Gold1 (05-22-19), JMW (11-06-21)
Old 04-05-19, 05:44 PM
Hobbes22
Driver

Oh, I know. My 1997 Land Cruiser has ZERO cracks in the dash and has spent its life outside. Our RX dash is literally disintegrating and it’s lived in a garage. Not sure what they forgot in so short a time.
Old 04-05-19, 06:45 PM
Alexia56
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anybody know a good lawyer?

Anybody know a good lawyer will to take this up this problem with Lexus?
herbo2 (02-21-22)
Old 04-05-19, 06:49 PM
StacyRX330
Driver School Candidate

Excellent idea!
Old 04-07-19, 10:08 AM
mylexbaby
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexia56
Anybody know a good lawyer will to take this up this problem with Lexus?
maybe start with bad press first -- cheaper, and the news always needs stories

maybe we can gather stories of cracked dashes on this site and then get the press interested in some of the worst cases as a bad reflection on Lexus/Toyota
adrives (04-11-19)
Old 04-08-19, 05:40 AM
Turbotoys1
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is cracked as well 2008 never received anything on this and mine is cracking above the gauges and side vents .I have 30 plus year old convertible cars from ford with not a dash crack .its to bad I look at it driveing all day.I just suprised lexus whould want people rideing around in our cars saying what is wrong with your dash.I really like my car and could have bought a newer one but like the look of this year.We just bought a new lexus dealer demo last week I'm kinda suprised they will sell us a new one but wont fix a old one.

Last edited by Turbotoys1; 04-08-19 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-09-19, 10:18 AM
StacyRX330
Driver School Candidate

I just heard back from them. I wrote an email because I found someone that does leather repair work, but refused to fix my dash, because there is too much liability. I shared with Lexus that his opinion was that "the leather chunks that continue to fall out of the dash maybe become projectiles in the vehicle if the airbag should ever deploy, potentially causing grave danger to a passenger." They said they have no evidence of this being an issue, and sUrPrIsE! They will not be repairing my dash...
Old 04-09-19, 10:51 AM
OG Member
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by StacyRX330
I just heard back from them. I wrote an email because I found someone that does leather repair work, but refused to fix my dash, because there is too much liability. I shared with Lexus that his opinion was that "the leather chunks that continue to fall out of the dash maybe become projectiles in the vehicle if the airbag should ever deploy, potentially causing grave danger to a passenger." They said they have no evidence of this being an issue, and sUrPrIsE! They will not be repairing my dash...
@StacyRX330 - I'm curious...why would "someone that does leather repair work" be considered for your RX's dash repair? The dash itself appears to be void of anything leather related.

By chance, outside of the leather repair work company, were you able to locate or validate any evidence of these dash flaws to be in direct connections to deaths where the RX model was distributed/sold?

Having owned a '06 with the dash flaws and successful negotiations around having my dash replaced; I went to a Lexus dealer fully prepared with facts and supporting evidence from credible sources. Keep in mind these dealers are all franchised and vary slightly in how they handle situations...so in other words, 'you get more bees with honey' and gradually work your way up to Lexus corporate. I'm not saying anyone did this, but going-into a conversation unprepared will more than likely favor the opposing party.

Additionally for those looking for legal representation, there have been dozens of law firms across the nation over the past decade filing suit against toyota/lexus for their defective dashes. Which is my understanding around why there was even a warranty enhancement to begin with.

Best of luck! #providefacts
Old 04-09-19, 11:07 AM
StacyRX330
Driver School Candidate

I didn't know who to call for repair work but after finding out what a new dash would cost through the dealer, I knew that would not be an option for me. This guy does leather and dash repair; he was referred by a friend that owns a used car lot and uses him frequently.

I have zero evidence of any injury, but he was adamant that flying debris - even small pieces of dashboard material- could cause blindness etc and refused to help me.

Lexus advised me similarly; that each dealership sets their own prices, and I should make my rounds and ultimately select whatever is within my budget. Not the answer I was looking for...

Quick Reply: Warranty Enhancement-Cracked Dash Replacement