RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Looking at buying a second gen RX for a family member. What are the common faults?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-17, 12:51 PM
Nickco43
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at buying a second gen RX for a family member. What are the common faults?

This vehical would be the first Lexus in a family of older BMWs and Mercades. What are the common issues with these cars and what special preventive maintenance should be done to keep them going? This car needs to be 100% reliable with the regular maintenance schedule in the owners manual. The car will be doing monthly six hour round trips. Maintenance will be done DIY by me. Repairs will be done at a trusted shop. I wouldnt expect the primary driver to know how to check the oil or put air in the tires.
​​​

Any years, engines or options that are must haves?

My budget is around $6000 and I live in the North East.

Thank you for all of the help, these fourms are invaluable for people buying a new car.
Old 07-09-17, 01:12 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

For the most part, these are pretty good cars.

The RX330 and the RX350 have different engines and somewhat different requirements. The hybrid, RX400H, has the 330 engine.

The 330 engine has a rubber/fiber belt to drive the camshafts. Recommended replacement every 100K miles. The 350 uses a chain.
The 330 engine uses a screw-on oil filter. The 350 uses a replaceable element in a reusable canister.

problems:
​​​​​​​the dashboards like to dry up and crack.
the power steering rack and pinion likes to leak
the 350 has a rubber oil cooler line that likes to burst. A metal replacement is available
the 350 has another small oil line that likes to burst, the VVTI, or something like that.
The following users liked this post:
Otto007 (09-28-17)
Old 07-09-17, 01:23 PM
Nickco43
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DennisMik
For the most part, these are pretty good cars.

The RX330 and the RX350 have different engines and somewhat different requirements. The hybrid, RX400H, has the 330 engine.

The 330 engine has a rubber/fiber belt to drive the camshafts. Recommended replacement every 100K miles. The 350 uses a chain.
The 330 engine uses a screw-on oil filter. The 350 uses a replaceable element in a reusable canister.

problems:
the dashboards like to dry up and crack.
the power steering rack and pinion likes to leak
the 350 has a rubber oil cooler line that likes to burst. A metal replacement is available
the 350 has another small oil line that likes to burst, the VVTI, or something like that.
That you for the info.

So it looks like the 350 is the way to go and I would just have those two oil lines replaced before I hand it over to the family member.
Old 07-09-17, 02:47 PM
5W40
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

2006 RX330 AWD 215,000 km now, the only issue I have was radiator side leaking and replaced at around 150,000 km few years back.

Plan to do in the near future:
1: LCA bushing see cracks and one side ball joint see a bit grease, a fun job as engine mount on the way for LCA replacement..
2: Shock absorber a bit weak but no leak and will drive and see.

Other than that everything keep smooth and fuel economy still as good as it should.

04-09 RX has transmission dipstick which means quite easy for fluid change but have timing belt may need change at 150,000 km ever old belt looks like 90% new!.
RX350 has timing chain but a sealed transmission [from 2010] which need a few more works involved to replace fluid ,it says fluid is lifetime!

BTW tail gate locking actuator motor dead and replaced [~$5] a few months ago.

Last edited by 5W40; 07-10-17 at 09:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Otto007 (09-28-17)
Old 07-09-17, 03:04 PM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickco43
That you for the info.

So it looks like the 350 is the way to go and I would just have those two oil lines replaced before I hand it over to the family member.
All the best of luck finding a RX350 with the condition stated in your original post for $6,000. , most likely you are looking at a extremely high millage vehicle for that amount with the maintenance unknown with some repairs & maintenance required.
The great thing is Lexus vehicles maintain a higher resale value than most vehicles, the better condition it is in with more options as Premium Package with less millage, the more it's worth. Average price for a 07 RX350 with around 100k miles is more like 10K +.
Old 07-09-17, 08:13 PM
Nickco43
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 05RX330AWD
All the best of luck finding a RX350 with the condition stated in your original post for $6,000. , most likely you are looking at a extremely high millage vehicle for that amount with the maintenance unknown with some repairs & maintenance required.
The great thing is Lexus vehicles maintain a higher resale value than most vehicles, the better condition it is in with more options as Premium Package with less millage, the more it's worth. Average price for a 07 RX350 with around 100k miles is more like 10K +.
If the 350 has a sealed trans I think I should buy a 330. Plus they are a bit cheaper.

BMW is the king of sealed transmissions are most don't last 200k since no one replaced the fluid.
Old 07-10-17, 02:31 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

I think I should buy a 330. Plus they are a bit cheaper.
I purchased a 05 RX330 AWD with the Premium Package, 137,000 miles from a dealer in January, as is condition for $2,800.
The test drive was fine & the body was in above average condition with a very clean undercarriage.
Although the timing belt & related parts needed immediate attention since no records for maintenance were available. The timing belt was cracked edge to edge all over the belt.
7 months later, I invested in total of maybe $600. the RX330 was safety inspected (mandatory here) & now, the only minor issue left is the power tailgate does not function, which I can live without for the time being.
Hopefully you will find a RX330 to your liking & budget. I am pleased I did.

Last edited by 05RX330AWD; 07-10-17 at 02:44 AM.
Old 07-10-17, 01:21 PM
bigboss
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased a 05 RX330 AWD with the Premium Package, 137,000 miles from a dealer in January, as is condition for $2,800.
The test drive was fine & the body was in above average condition with a very clean undercarriage.
Although the timing belt & related parts needed immediate attention since no records for maintenance were available. The timing belt was cracked edge to edge all over the belt.
7 months later, I invested in total of maybe $600. the RX330 was safety inspected (mandatory here) & now, the only minor issue left is the power tailgate does not function, which I can live without for the time being.
Hopefully you will find a RX330 to your liking & budget. I am pleased I did.
Clean title? didn't know those were going that cheap.

A 350 nice clean body with minimal rust will run about 8k easily. If you can find one for under 6k, you got a great deal.
Old 07-10-17, 01:56 PM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Originally Posted by bigboss
Clean title? didn't know those were going that cheap..
Purchased from a reputable Hyundai dealer, I would expect a clean title....
They normally do not go that cheap, "as is" does at dealerships, some are shipped to auctions eventually.
I did knock down the asking price around $1,000., I suppose the sales manager wanted me out of the showroom as quickly as possible.
I had some important repairs & maintenance to take care of although nothing major or make me regret the purchase.
Dealers do not want to bother with repairs on older & a little higher millage vehicles regardless of the make....
therefore the consumer has the option to evaluate if the purchase makes any financial sense.
Old 07-10-17, 02:40 PM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

For cost reference, a year ago we sold our '07 RX350 AWD with 103k miles to a wholesaler for $7500. The transmission was in its way out and there was oil leaking from the timing cover.
Old 07-10-17, 03:19 PM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

I prefer to purchase "as is" vehicles from new car dealers as they tend to focus on new car sales or certified used cars at premium pricing.
Although finding the right "as is" vehicle can be more a miss than a hit, I checked out many 'as is" vehicles in the past & some were beyond "as is", more like "as junk".
With patience & constant searching, some are gems for the taking at unbelievable prices.
For the past 15 years, I actually made a small profit from purchasing "as is" vehicles & selling the vehicles "safety inspected" after driving them between 1 & 4 years.
Hopefully the RX330 is a keeper for a longer period of time.
Old 07-13-17, 02:18 PM
FactoryRX
Driver School Candidate

I don't know if I were unlucky... but my 2005 RX has a very squeaky and rattling interior ! I don't know if you can consider it a common fault, but definitely check it out before buying ...
Old 07-13-17, 03:51 PM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

I experienced ratting caused by rear weak struts (they were not even leaking, then eventually did), replaced them with Monroes, no more ratting.
I have intermittent squeaking only on very hot days & the vehicle windows were closed from the telescopic steering wheel at start up & shut off of the ignition, & a once in a blue moon little squeak when turning,
I am assuming this is plastic shifting & rubbing, perhaps you have some plastic piece(s) shifting in your RX. Also check the plastic casings in the cargo area under the carpeting.
Now the RX is noise free in the interior.

Last edited by 05RX330AWD; 07-13-17 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-13-17, 07:34 PM
ToledoRX
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

This vehical would be the first Lexus in a family of older BMWs and Mercades. What are the common issues with these cars and what special preventive maintenance should be done to keep them going? This car needs to be 100% reliable with the regular maintenance schedule in the owners manual. The car will be doing monthly six hour round trips. Maintenance will be done DIY by me. Repairs will be done at a trusted shop. I wouldnt expect the primary driver to know how to check the oil or put air in the tires.
​​​

Any years, engines or options that are must haves?

My budget is around $6000 and I live in the North East.

Thank you for all of the help, these fourms are invaluable for people buying a new car.
Check for cracked dash (these should have been recalled and replcaed). Check to make sure that the timing belt and water has been replaced before 100k miles if your buying RX330

Also $6,000 for a clean well maintained 2nd gen RX is a stretch. Most 2004-2006 RX go for around $8,000-$11,000

Also (if you still listen to CDs) the CD changer have a habit of jamming and flashing an error message
Old 07-14-17, 01:29 AM
FactoryRX
Driver School Candidate

I experienced ratting caused by rear weak struts (they were not even leaking, then eventually did), replaced them with Monroes, no more ratting.
I have intermittent squeaking only on very hot days & the vehicle windows were closed from the telescopic steering wheel at start up & shut off of the ignition, & a once in a blue moon little squeak when turning,
I am assuming this is plastic shifting & rubbing, perhaps you have some plastic piece(s) shifting in your RX. Also check the plastic casings in the cargo area under the carpeting.
Now the RX is noise free in the interior.
I hve tried everything so far...
disassembled all cargo area and reassembled with foam amd neoprene , inspected rear seat, secured under car gas tank cover, secured spare wheel... checked the roof ...
stil rattling!
squeaking noise comes from the rear seats itself , another loud rattling noise comes from the roof , it seems, but I can't localize it...
I think that the interior is just getting to old to be silent at 100k + miles...

Quick Reply: Looking at buying a second gen RX for a family member. What are the common faults?