RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Beware - Valvoline Maxlife ATF ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-17, 05:24 PM
lexisaurus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beware - Valvoline Maxlife ATF ???

I picked up a bunch of Valvoline Maxlife ATF from NAPA to do a full transmission fluid change.

These came in the red bottle and the words "FULL SYNTHETIC" are NOT on the label per Valvoline's website. The only mention of synthetic fluid is on the back where it mentions contains synthetic bases. On the box (3 X 5L) it says SYNTHETIC BLEND. If you check Amazon there appear to be some bottles that say FULL SYNTHETIC and some that don't.

I called Valvoline and was told that they do not sell a blend ATF product, that the rep had been there for 5 years and perhaps there was a different formulation before he worked there.

WTFLOL?
Old 05-02-17, 06:18 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 182 Likes on 169 Posts

That's odd, every bottle I've bought says Full Synthetic on it..... I just got some about 3 months back. But I get mine at Walmart here in the states, not sure how it works outside the US.
Old 05-02-17, 06:20 PM
lexisaurus
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
That's odd, every bottle I've bought says Full Synthetic on it..... I just got some about 3 months back. But I get mine at Walmart here in the states, not sure how it works outside the US.
look on Amazon...

Amazon Amazon

no says
Old 05-02-17, 06:29 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

This is the one I can get: https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=36195522...pp=true&chn=ps

What you linked looks like its not the "Multi-Vehicle" version. Not sure what the difference is but I've never seen the bottle you linked before or maybe I'm not looking hard enough.....
Old 05-02-17, 07:22 PM
lexisaurus
Rookie

I believe the description on the back is exactly the same as the ones you guys are talking about?

Large and small:

Back description:

P/N SMALL: (3539)

P/N LARGE (786953)

BACK OF "FULL SYNTHETIC" photo from WALMART

Old 05-02-17, 07:47 PM
lexisaurus
Rookie

and the back of "mine"

Old 05-02-17, 07:48 PM
lexisaurus
Rookie

So my bet is these are the same product but different marketing... maybe because of the additives they can't label the product as full synthetic in Canada?
Old 05-02-17, 08:59 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

I'm thinking the same too, as the bottles in your pics have their similarities but is not identical to what is available here.
Old 05-02-17, 09:35 PM
lexisaurus
Rookie

Thanks for the replies.

I'll call Valvoline tomorrow and get someone higher up who doesn't tell me the P/Ns I gave don't exist LOL.
Old 05-03-17, 04:43 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Toyota ATF T-IV it is at $4.50 a Liter from a Toyota dealer is the best option for the RX & my wallet here on PEI...
I am not sure if Lexus exaggerates for their recommendation to only use Toyota ATF T-IV in the manual, I'll stick with the recommendation by default for now.
I would be great if some CL members could post their views for performance with Valvoline Maxlife ATF in comparison to Toyota ATF T-IV.
The following users liked this post:
Felix (01-02-20)
Old 05-03-17, 06:05 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

I have used MOBIL 1 Full synthetic in my RX300 for over 10 years with no issues until the day I sold it. And yes Mobil does make a full synthetic transmission fluid.
Old 05-03-17, 08:33 AM
lexisaurus
Rookie

Originally Posted by 05RX330AWD
Toyota ATF T-IV it is at $4.50 a Liter from a Toyota dealer is the best option for the RX & my wallet here on PEI...
I am not sure if Lexus exaggerates for their recommendation to only use Toyota ATF T-IV in the manual, I'll stick with the recommendation by default for now.
I would be great if some CL members could post their views for performance with Valvoline Maxlife ATF in comparison to Toyota ATF T-IV.
For me the fact that Toyota claims "lifetime" fluid that doesn't need changing is a credibility problem; that and the idea of their own brand ATF.

Anyhow I've spoken with Valvoline... a rather abrupt and irritated sounding guy told me that both products are full synthetics and that the only difference is that the additive package in one "MIGHT" be slightly different.

As far as MOBIL 1 they do not mention suitability for Toyota WS but I hear many people run it.
Old 05-03-17, 12:37 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by 05RX330AWD
Still trying it myself but so far so good. I have converted all my Toyota's that use T-IV to Maxlife with no issues and as we speak the RX is doing well. I also will be switching a Honda Odyssey to it also in a few weeks.

Originally Posted by lexisaurus
As far as MOBIL 1 they do not mention suitability for Toyota WS but I hear many people run it.
I've heard of this too, but luckily my RX requires T-IV instead of the newer WS.
Old 05-03-17, 12:51 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Suggest that you stick to the original Toyota T-IV.
Old 05-03-17, 03:38 PM
lexisaurus
Rookie

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Suggest that you stick to the original Toyota T-IV.
2008 RX350 = WS not T-IV but thanks.

Quick Reply: Beware - Valvoline Maxlife ATF ???