RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

lexus 350rx 2007 beeps after taking key out, steering wheel moves up & down -keyfob

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-17, 12:15 PM
Gabby01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question lexus 350rx 2007 beeps after taking key out, steering wheel moves up & down -keyfob

I've got a Lexus 350 rx - 2007 & I LOVE my Lexus & plan to drive this car until it dies because up until now at 165,000 I've had no issues other than typical maintenance.

Just recently this started happening - I take my key out of the ignition and my car beeps like the key is still in the ignition and my key fob won't work to lock or unlock the doors. And when I take key out my steering wheel keeps moving up and down adjusting like it does normally but now it goes up and down several times well after I've taken the keys out and shut the door?

I thought it might be the battery in my keyfob so I replaced the battery - still beeping, lkeyfob not working & steering wheel acting possessed :-) . I read on here I might need to get my key reprogrammed so I took my car to Lexus dealership.

The lexus dealership hooked up a computer to my car and said my key is programed to the car and he's not sure why this is happening but I could get the car diagnosed for $160 - so rather than pay $160 I'm asking for my fellow Lexus owners if they have had this issue as well & can provide a fix?

Oh an from time to time my car won't beep when I take the key out and I can use the keyfob to lock and unlock my car - to me it seems like something electrical is not connecting or un-connecting properly?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 04-25-17, 12:26 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have not had this issue but it sounds to me like the ignition switch is intermittently not registering the key as having been removed from the lock cylinder. If this were me I'd probably get a can of loc-ease or some other dry lubricant and spray a little inside the lock cylinder. If that eliminates the issue your cylinder may be worn and in need of replacement, quite possible if you have a keychain with lots of heavy stuff on it. It could also be the electrical portion on the end of the cylinder which would be my second thing to look at.
Old 04-26-17, 04:43 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

^ Exactly what I was thinking, too. I have a hard time believing the Lexus "tech" didn't think of that, but they want your $160 to tell you what is pretty obvious.
Old 04-26-17, 06:31 AM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Wouldn't surprise me to see an ignition switch failing on one of these. Mine at 77k looks really worn. May have to do with these laser cut keys and their sharp edges. My Honda has a fancy transponder key as well but it's cut in a rounder manner that's easier on the ignition.
Old 04-28-17, 07:46 AM
Gabby01
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you

Thank you so much for responding!!! This is been frustrating to say the least I only have one key on my keychain so I don't think it's that possibility but that's a really good point for others that might be experiencing symptoms such as mine.

what's really weird is after I take my key out the beeping continues I shut the door and I just now realized that my steering will randomly goes up-and-down hours after I've removed the key. It seems like there something electrical that is disconnected or not connected properly? And it's weird that sometimes I don't get the beeping when I take my key out and I'm able to use my key fob but it's very random.

At this point I'm almost getting used to the beeping noise but my concern is that one day I'll be out in the middle of nowhere and won't be able to manually unlock or lock or start my car and will be SOL!!!

I'm going to get to the bottom of this without paying $160 for a "" diagnostic checkup 😊

Originally Posted by mdbrown
I have not had this issue but it sounds to me like the ignition switch is intermittently not registering the key as having been removed from the lock cylinder. If this were me I'd probably get a can of loc-ease or some other dry lubricant and spray a little inside the lock cylinder. If that eliminates the issue your cylinder may be worn and in need of replacement, quite possible if you have a keychain with lots of heavy stuff on it. It could also be the electrical portion on the end of the cylinder which would be my second thing to look at.
Old 04-28-17, 07:59 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gabby01
Thank you so much for responding!!! This is been frustrating to say the least I only have one key on my keychain so I don't think it's that possibility but that's a really good point for others that might be experiencing symptoms such as mine.

what's really weird is after I take my key out the beeping continues I shut the door and I just now realized that my steering will randomly goes up-and-down hours after I've removed the key. It seems like there something electrical that is disconnected or not connected properly? And it's weird that sometimes I don't get the beeping when I take my key out and I'm able to use my key fob but it's very random.

At this point I'm almost getting used to the beeping noise but my concern is that one day I'll be out in the middle of nowhere and won't be able to manually unlock or lock or start my car and will be SOL!!!

I'm going to get to the bottom of this without paying $160 for a "" diagnostic checkup 😊
This does not change my mind, you may still have an issue with the ignition lock cylinder and that is the place to start. Strategy based diagnostics combined with Occam's razor. Try some spray lube into the lock cylinder and see if that alleviates (or greatly reduces) the issue. If it does, you know it's a mechanical issue with the lock cylinder, if it doesn't next step is to check the electrical portion that is on the end if the lock cylinder which could be carbon scored or possibly have a broken contact that is intermittently shorting out causing your issue.

Start simple and work your way back, don't assume anything. A code reader might be a great help too as you may have some pending codes that could help lead you in the right direction.
Old 04-28-17, 09:13 AM
Gabby01
Driver School Candidate

Perfect - thank you for pointing out a couple of options to try so that we can determine if this is a mechanical or electrical issue! I will try these options later today and will give an update - again thanks mdbrown -you are hopefully saving us at least $160

and what's a code reader?
Old 04-28-17, 09:51 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Perfect - thank you for pointing out a couple of options to try so that we can determine if this is a mechanical or electrical issue! I will try these options later today and will give an update - again thanks mdbrown -you are hopefully saving us at least $160

and what's a code reader?
An OBDII scan tool. You connect it to the diagnostic port on the car and it will display any codes pending or active and if you get a decent one you can also get streaming data from the computer while the engine is running to get a snapshot of al lthe sensors and a general idea of how well (or not) the vehicle overall health is.
Old 02-27-24, 09:07 PM
jcoy
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you happen to find the solution and cause of this issue?