RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

A warning to those recently purchasing a 2nd gen RX

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-17, 07:16 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 350rx
I have a FWD, so my VVTI line was replaced with the recall. Not the cooler line which is for the AWD.
Right. Confusing thing was that Lexus described the VVTi replacement as an "oil cooler line" replacement when they recalled cars for the VVTi line. Very confusing.
This thread is about the actual oil cooler line on AWD, 2gr-fe, that can be seen beside the oil filter housing by looking down into the passenger lower front engine area as the OP said.
Old 03-30-17, 03:32 PM
toyoman29
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 07 FWD and it had the rubber hoses so I think all 350's have them, easy to check when you change the oil.
Old 03-30-17, 05:01 PM
350rx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toyoman29
I have a 07 FWD and it had the rubber hoses so I think all 350's have them, easy to check when you change the oil.
FWD doesn't have the oil cooler line
Old 03-31-17, 05:02 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Isn't it part of the tow package? If so, was that not available for the FWD models?
Old 03-31-17, 06:26 AM
99magna
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the rubber hoses for the oil cooler near the oil filter. If I see leaking oil on the hose, will I have to tow the car to the lexus dealership and pay the tow myself or they will pay the tow themselves as part of the warranty enhancement ? my is 2009 rx350. Thanks
Old 03-31-17, 03:16 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=99magna;9820178]I have the rubber hoses for the oil cooler near the oil filter. If I see leaking oil on the hose, will I have to tow the car to the lexus dealership and pay the tow myself or they will pay the tow themselves as part of the warranty enhancement ? my is 2009 rx350. Thanks[/QUOTE
If you have oil on the hose, drive it carefully to Lexus asap. If it's full on leaking, tow it there. They will pay for the tow, but that will take some doing (calling Corporate, etc) and you'll be waiting on that check for some time.
As part of the ZLC warranty enhancement; if it has any oil seepage or liquid visible on the line, Lexus will replace the part for free, so go and get that done. If it's not leaking, make arrangements to have it repaired asap nonetheless. If it fails, it can ruin the engine and it will spray oil all over the engine bay and undercarriage. In many cases when that happened, Lexus stepped up and rebuilt the top end of peoples engines. But who needs that so get it fixed. Here's a link to the actual Lexus TSB that shows the updated part numbers (pretty easy to order and do yourself) and other information about this line:

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=187896
Old 03-31-17, 03:24 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RedGemini
Isn't it part of the tow package? If so, was that not available for the FWD models?
Correct. My understanding is that it is part of the tow package which requires AWD. If someone here has FWD and an oil cooler, please snap a pic of underside with line and lack of transfer case (AWD).
Toyota uses this wonderful engine (2gr-fe) in many applications and not all vehicles have the oil cooler. Mainly FWD such as Camry, Avalon, ES350, etc, etc.
Old 04-02-17, 02:06 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I've replaced my oil cooler line a few months back but need to upgrade the vvti line. Anybody have a photo of this part?
Old 04-02-17, 03:32 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sleeper408
I've replaced my oil cooler line a few months back but need to upgrade the vvti line. Anybody have a photo of this part?
Here's a link to a forum here that goes into the VVTi line problem with plenty of photos and experiences.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...acement-3.html

It would be surprising if yours wasn't replaced though, as this was a recall. For some time early on, Lexus replaced the bad VVTi line with another rubber one with a yellow line striped on the new rubber hose at the top of the connection for easy inspection and identification of the correct replacement line. Being rubber and subsequently later replaced by an all metal line makes some people nervous (for good reason of course) but there have not been any reports of the yellow striped rubber replacement line failing. Look to see if your RX has the yellow striped line at the top of VVTi connection. If so, it will be fine and IMO you don't really need the all metal one, Yellow striped rubber line is chemical and heat resistant rubber and doesn't fail.
Old 04-02-17, 03:34 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Post 34 from my link above shows the improved, yellow striped line.
Old 04-02-17, 10:48 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackLexRX
Post 34 from my link above shows the improved, yellow striped line.
Thanks! It's a bit faint, but I can make out the yellow vertical stripe. I will check tomorrow. I purchased the RX used and didn't see any invoice or Carfax regarding the vvti line being replaced or upgraded on my vehicle.
Old 04-03-17, 05:02 AM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sleeper408
Thanks! It's a bit faint, but I can make out the yellow vertical stripe. I will check tomorrow. I purchased the RX used and didn't see any invoice or Carfax regarding the vvti line being replaced or upgraded on my vehicle.
Register your RX on Lexus owners site with your VIN, you'll be able to see all Lexus service, recalls, campaigns, etc and it will link up your ownership with Lexus. That way you can track service and you will be contacted quicker in the event of any further recalls, etc. I'll bet once you do, you'll see the replacement. MyLexus.com
Old 04-03-17, 09:04 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

get both replaced. The VVT line actually failed on us back in 2010 and all the oil just spilled onto the road. Surprisingly, 7 years later there doesn't seem to be any sign of engine damage whatsoever. The engine doesn't burn any oil and still purrs.
Old 04-03-17, 05:23 PM
toyoman29
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 350rx
FWD doesn't have the oil cooler line
Mine has the oil cooler, saw it when I replaced the hoses to the new metal ones.
Old 04-05-17, 07:26 PM
sladerx
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackLexRX
Correct. My understanding is that it is part of the tow package which requires AWD. If someone here has FWD and an oil cooler, please snap a pic of underside with line and lack of transfer case (AWD).
Toyota uses this wonderful engine (2gr-fe) in many applications and not all vehicles have the oil cooler. Mainly FWD such as Camry, Avalon, ES350, etc, etc.
I'm the OP who dumped a gallon of oil on a 2007 FWD RX350 out of the pictured hose. It definitely has an oil cooler and faulty lines on the FWD models.
The following users liked this post:
toyoman29 (04-06-17)

Quick Reply: A warning to those recently purchasing a 2nd gen RX