RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

What do you like and dislike about your RX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-16, 03:36 PM
WolfyLS460
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default What do you like and dislike about your RX?

Just bought my 400h last week. So far, I'm liking --
  • Taller than most crossovers/ stepping *Up* into the seats like a proper SUV.
  • Buttons for all important functions
  • Mostly smooth ride
  • Very fast (0-60 in 7 sec, same as '06-'09 Range Rover Supercharged and faster than non-hybrid RX)
  • 29+MPG!
Disliking --
  • Tiny armrests
  • No "Mute" button on steering wheel
  • Jittery over bumps & lots of body lean in corners compared to bank-vault solid ML and RR that I had tested.
  • Loud whirring sound of electric motor when stopping.
  • Cannot change auto-headlight on duration without going to dealer.
Old 12-15-16, 04:08 PM
numbafree
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

steering wheel controls are minimal at best. I want a better stereo, and the engine not to burn oil.

other than that, it's pretty perfect.
Old 12-16-16, 03:51 AM
Braz60
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rx330

1. When it gets cold in Chicago the dash board contracts and you hear every little rattle going over any kind of bumps
  2. Small arm rests
  3. Stereo is sub par
Old 12-16-16, 11:09 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Just got a RX330 to replace my dying Highlander. I gotta say, the Luxury world is different.

Pros:
-Smooth/quiet ride
-Wrench-able for a weekend mechanic, it's a Toyota deep inside
-Automatic everything compared to my Highlander

Cons:
-Transmission sucks
-Radio/Nav is sub-par
-Suspension is loose compared to an X5
Old 12-21-16, 11:46 AM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfyLS460
  • Mostly smooth ride
  • Very fast (0-60 in 7 sec, same as '06-'09 Range Rover Supercharged and faster than non-hybrid RX)
  • 29+MPG!
Disliking --
  • Tiny armrests
  • Jittery over bumps & lots of body lean in corners compared to bank-vault solid ML and RR that I had tested.
Pretty good list, I find the power really nice in the RX, I recently drove a highlander and it felt like driving something with no life in it. However the RX lacks storage for the front passengers really bad. It's super annoying!

For the mute you can hold down mode and it will turn off the radio, mode pressed once will turn it back on. My RX has developed some really annoying rattles here and there too that I need to address.
Old 12-21-16, 07:01 PM
350rx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

• Mostly smooth ride
  • 29+MPG!
Disliking --
  • Tiny armrests
\

The RX350 can do 0-60 in 6.6 sec last time i saw, the acceleration is pretty good, i mean its no race car. It also has a nice sporty growl when accelerating. The 3rd and 4th gen does not have that sound surprisingly.
Old 12-22-16, 06:46 PM
numbafree
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
Just got a RX330 to replace my dying Highlander. I gotta say, the Luxury world is different.

Cons:
-Transmission sucks
-Radio/Nav is sub-par
-Suspension is loose compared to an X5
get coilovers. done. I want some, but I am torn, my mom, moderate dementia, I drive around a lot, and she loves the current suspension. maybe she won't notice.
Old 12-22-16, 09:17 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by numbafree
get coilovers. done. I want some, but I am torn, my mom, moderate dementia, I drive around a lot, and she loves the current suspension. maybe she won't notice.
Absolutely not, this is a luxury SUV not a tuner car. I say the suspension is a draw back but I do not expect it to be tight around corners, that's what my old M5 was for when I had that. The X5 is a bit tighter but still not something you want to corner hard, I was just comparing stock suspensions of the two which both are very comfortable at the end of the day. I have driven on and used coilovers and airbags in the past on sedans/coupes but refuse to put them on a car like this, maybe when I get a GS-F in the future.
Old 12-22-16, 09:33 PM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
Absolutely not, this is a luxury SUV not a tuner car. I say the suspension is a draw back but I do not expect it to be tight around corners, that's what my old M5 was for when I had that. The X5 is a bit tighter but still not something you want to corner hard, I was just comparing stock suspensions of the two which both are very comfortable at the end of the day. I have driven on and used coilovers and airbags in the past on sedans/coupes but refuse to put them on a car like this, maybe when I get a GS-F in the future.
Did your X5 have anti-roll stabilization? It makes a huge difference with 5,000lb top heavy vehicles. The RX is suppose to have Skyhook technology (anti-roll) but it does not sound like it is all that effective.
Old 12-23-16, 06:18 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

• Mostly smooth ride
  • 29+MPG!
Disliking --
  • Tiny armrests
Look up ISC reset procedure, this may stop the whirring sound of electric motor....
Old 12-23-16, 08:05 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by chuckNX
Did your X5 have anti-roll stabilization? It makes a huge difference with 5,000lb top heavy vehicles. The RX is suppose to have Skyhook technology (anti-roll) but it does not sound like it is all that effective.
X5 wasn't mine, a family members which I maintained, but yes it did have an anti-roll stabilization which was whatever BMW named it, I think "Active Roll" lol. Not super effective also like the Lexus' but these are not track cars. I got to test drive the current X5M and GL65 AMG no too long ago, now that's less of an SUV and more of a fast tank and will corner very well. But for the money, I'll keep my gen 2, I just haul people and stuff.
Old 12-23-16, 08:58 PM
WolfyLS460
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Another dislike --
When you shut the doors, it makes a tinny sound, not a heavy solid-as-the-bank-vault "thud" as in a ML or Land Rover, for example.

I know the RX is a heavy car, but the doors feel flimsy.