RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Are There Replaceable Batteries in the 2007 RX350 Tire Pressure Monitors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-14, 12:24 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Are There Replaceable Batteries in the 2007 RX350 Tire Pressure Monitors?

Soon I will be having our local Lexus dealer put on a new set of tires (purchased independently by me) on our 2007 RX350 (which we've owned since new). So the question is whether there are replaceable batteries in each sensors since I'd rather replace them now rather than after the new tires are mounted. As an aside, we only drive this car about 5,000 miles a year, so this will probably be our last set of tires.
Old 09-04-14, 02:54 PM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think that they have replaceable batteries, but then again I've never really looked?
Old 09-04-14, 09:43 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sderman
Soon I will be having our local Lexus dealer put on a new set of tires (purchased independently by me) on our 2007 RX350 (which we've owned since new). So the question is whether there are replaceable batteries in each sensors since I'd rather replace them now rather than after the new tires are mounted. As an aside, we only drive this car about 5,000 miles a year, so this will probably be our last set of tires.
They have batteries, but the batteries are sesled into the sensor and cannot be replaced. The entire TMPS sensors need to be replaced. I too installed new tires on a 2009RX (built mid-2008) and I asked a Lexus tech whether I should replace the TMPS preventively. He advised against it, saying that they lasted a lot more than people thought and that they had had very few that needed replacement. Elsewhere, I read - but cannot guarantee accuracy - that the sensors 'sleep' when the wheels don't turn, so they may well last longer when fewer annual miles are driven as compared to more annual miles driven. But - who really knows? I decided to take a chance and did not change the TMPS sensors.
The Lexus (and most OEM) sensors are ridiculously expensive. However, there is a company (Titan - I believe the website is Titantmps.com - or google it) who sells sensors they say are equivalent to OEM at quite good prices, relatively speaking. There is also the matter of 'coding' the received in the vehicle to the new sensors, which is required.
Good luck!
Old 09-05-14, 06:43 AM
sderman
Advanced

Originally Posted by pauljcl
They have batteries, but the batteries are sesled into the sensor and cannot be replaced. The entire TMPS sensors need to be replaced. I too installed new tires on a 2009RX (built mid-2008) and I asked a Lexus tech whether I should replace the TMPS preventively. He advised against it, saying that they lasted a lot more than people thought and that they had had very few that needed replacement. Elsewhere, I read - but cannot guarantee accuracy - that the sensors 'sleep' when the wheels don't turn, so they may well last longer when fewer annual miles are driven as compared to more annual miles driven. But - who really knows? I decided to take a chance and did not change the TMPS sensors.
The Lexus (and most OEM) sensors are ridiculously expensive. However, there is a company (Titan - I believe the website is Titantmps.com - or google it) who sells sensors they say are equivalent to OEM at quite good prices, relatively speaking. There is also the matter of 'coding' the received in the vehicle to the new sensors, which is required.
Good luck!
Thanks Pauljcl! I wonder then how the RX tells its owners when a sensor battery is depleted?
Old 09-05-14, 08:08 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Thanks Pauljcl! I wonder then how the RX tells its owners when a sensor battery is depleted?
The tire monitor light on the dashboard lights up.
The monitor in the car is 'alerted' when it doesn't get the signal that the tires are sufficiently inflated. Without a battery, the sensor does not send the signal.
Old 09-05-14, 08:51 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Yup no battery no signal. My daughter is running around with two bad sensors. Lexus didn't make it easy to diagnose unless you have the diagnostic tool, GM however has a system where you rotate from each tire and the system beeps at you if it is working.
Old 09-06-14, 12:47 PM
sderman
Advanced

The tire monitor light on the dashboard lights up.
The monitor in the car is 'alerted' when it doesn't get the signal that the tires are sufficiently inflated. Without a battery, the sensor does not send the signal.
Thanks all for you comments. As an aside the Club Lexus price for an OEM TPMS at Sewell is $59.88. Their description for this sensor says the battery has a "lifespan of approximately 10 years."
Old 09-06-14, 12:48 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Thanks all for you comments. As an aside the Club Lexus price for an OEM TPMS at Sewell is $59.88. Their description for this sensor says the battery has a "lifespan of approximately 10 years."
Good to know. TKU!
Old 10-31-14, 10:21 AM
sderman
Advanced

Good luck!
Would the owners of all 2nd generation RX 2007 and older please chime in as to whether you have had to replace a tire pressure sensor. I'm still debating whether to replace them when I put on new tires on my 2007, Getting some group experience would be helpful for all of us. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-31-14, 03:57 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

TPMS battery usually last ~10 years....I would say dont fix it until it breaks
Old 11-01-14, 07:12 AM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Would the owners of all 2nd generation RX 2007 and older please chime in as to whether you have had to replace a tire pressure sensor. I'm still debating whether to replace them when I put on new tires on my 2007, Getting some group experience would be helpful for all of us. Thanks in advance!
We had one go out when our 2007 was 5 or 6 years old. CPO warranty replaced it. The others are still working great.
Old 11-02-14, 06:03 AM
lexus997
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We owned a 2004 Acura MDX, and the original TPMS sensors still worked after 11 years.

All 2nd gen's should have a full sized spare on a factory aluminum wheel ........ my Lexus dealer stated that the spare tire is also monitored. It would make sense that the full sized factory aluminum wheel spare has a TPMS sensor. I have read the owners manually (not cover to cover) but have not seen any mention of how the TPMS system works with the spare.

Now I am curious enough about the spare to do a test ......... I can put the spare in the cargo area, decrease the air pressure and drive around to see if the TPMS light triggers. If it does, and I am confident that the spinning wheels are good, then I guess I have validated that the system monitors the spare. If it does monitor the spare, that is a nice touch, because you do not want your spare to be flat when you need it.

There are various iterations of TPMS systems and I suspect that the systems that do the minimum are done that way for cost reduction. Our company president has an LS460 and it shows the actual pressure of each wheel, which is nice as it removes the guess work about which tire needs air.
Old 11-02-14, 05:43 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neelnaik
I don't think that they have replaceable batteries, but then again I've never really looked?
Well, that educated response really answers the question. Now, doesn't it?
Old 11-02-14, 07:55 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

If your spare has a metal valve stem then it has a sensor. Most lexus's that have a full size spare usually do. After 5 years or 80k miles the batteries are more likely to die. Also, if you have ever ran a tire low and triggered the light on your dashboard then that sensor is probably going to be the first to go out. The dealer may be able to run a test on the sensors to tell you if they are near the end of their life, but not all sensors and tools show battery life. If you choose not to replace the sensors you should replace their Service kit. (valve core, rubber grommet and locking nut)