RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Almost a New Lexus Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-14, 04:00 PM
kdavis61
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Almost a New Lexus Owner

Hello everyone,
So I have been looking around in the forums for awhile now and I think that's have decided to go with a RX350. My aunt just happens to be selling one with 53,000 and I am getting a good deal

I only drive SUVs my first car was a Tahoe then I just recently sold my X5, looking for something more reliable. Is there anything that's should look out for? It's a 2007 RX350 with 53k on it. It has every option except for navigation and she is the first owner. She said she has had a few problems with the car but to my car loving family they don't really seem like problems. She is very conscientious about her cars so when anything ever goes wrong she's has it done by Lexus. Her A/C stopped working so she had a whole new system put in. There was a sunroof leak, so she paid Lexus $2000+ to have that fixed. I think they redid the whole thing. There was water damage so she paid Lexus an extra $900 to have them do a complete detail and restore. Lexus said it passed the inspection with flying colors and I know my aunt wouldn't sell it to me unless she knew it was a good car. With the deal I am getting I'll have some left over money from my x5 to put in a double din any suggestions on that? I want navigation but also want it to look fairly factory. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments that you have!!

And just to let you all know I am only 17, but I'm not a spoiled kid. I work hard for my things

Kaelan
2012 MB G55 (dad's)
2010 LR LR4 (family car)
1994 LR Defender 90 (dad's joy)
2013 BMW X5 (moms dd)
2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 (brother's)
Old 06-20-14, 04:16 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, kdavis61.

Like many questions you might have regarding your potential RX, topics such as a stereo upgrade have all has been discussed before. Do you know if she has an existing NAV system from Lexus? Makes a difference in some of the parts you may need. Those with an existing NAV are a bit trickier, but not all that much different for the install. First, you need to read Carver's writeup:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...a-dnx6960.html

Be sure to read all the way through this as there is also a writeup from 1koolfella who has a setup with the existing NAV.

Then, Packrat1's more recent writeup:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-installs.html

That should get you started for now on that topic. Get a chance to see what can be done before looking to see what product(s) are now available. Figure out what you want to accomplish in any upgrade.

Nothing wrong with starting young with a car and working on it. Spent a good part of my youth, even before I had a driver's license, practicing tearing apart carburetors and such on the kitchen table much to mom's chagrin. Having something you have worked on yourself brings a level of pride which goes beyond just having the folks buy you something new for you to drive around in.
Old 06-20-14, 04:39 PM
kdavis61
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the response. So the car is completely stock. It has no navigation and I think just the Premium Plus Package. All of those installs look excellent! She has it serviced at Lexus every 3,000 miles and is very cautious about where she takes her cars... I am pretty confident that I am getting a good car.
Old 06-20-14, 06:44 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

For ongoing service you can take it to the local Toyota shop or independent mechanic should you choose to go that route. The vehicle is out of warranty, so no need to pay the higher service rate at Lexus if you do not want to do so. The oil change interval is actually 5000 miles or 6 months, which ever comes first. The RX350 uses a timing chain and not a timing belt, so there are no worries about having to make that change. Guess the biggest things would be tires and a new battery some time in the future as needed. There are other potential problems to look out for if you care to search the forums here at CL, but that would be true of any used vehicle purchase.

Keep in mind that is important to not only be able to pay the initial cost of the vehicle and other normal costs such as gas, insurance and regular maintenance, but also be able to deal with unexpected charges when they occur.
Old 06-20-14, 08:39 PM
LeUsX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kdavis61
Thanks for the response. So the car is completely stock. It has no navigation and I think just the Premium Plus Package. All of those installs look excellent! She has it serviced at Lexus every 3,000 miles and is very cautious about where she takes her cars... I am pretty confident that I am getting a good car.
I agree and would also make the purchase
Old 06-24-14, 12:04 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts

Buy it. you will not regret it. You don't need the Nav system, in my opinion, it sucks. Iphone google map is much better, even the $100 garmin is better. We used it once and never again, although my wife really like the rear camera.

08 RX350 AWD (wife)
08 Avalon Touring (mine)