RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

best GPS/tablet mount solutions for RX330

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-14, 08:08 AM
carpot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question best GPS/tablet mount solutions for RX330

Hello,

just lost my '02 RX300 - total loss colision R.I.P. only 61K miles

To make that worse, the insurance company is lowballing me on the total loss figure

To make things better, I replaced it wth an '04 RX330. I love the body changes and especially the cabin space improvements. Though I had gotten spoiled by the 300's navigation system, as the 330 I bought has none.

What I liked about the navigation system was that
  • it was factory installed inside of the IP (not as likely to attract thieves),
  • that it was in a pretty good location (for safety to use while driving),
  • and seldom ever had glare due to it being recessed in the dash.

So now I am wanting to create something for the 330, with the following desires:

1.) Must have excellent location, i.e., center or more toward driver side, and high - probably sitting on top of the dash or suction cup'ed to windshield - to minimize the distance I have to take my eyes off the road.

2.) won't discolor or otherwise damage the instrucment panel

3.) Stealth - fast and easy to put up and take down and hopefully fit confortably into the glovebox or center console for absolute concealment.

4.) Off-the shelf hardware - though am mechanically inclined, have no time (and minimal tooling) to spend fabricating something home-made.

5.) I'll probably will use a 7" tablet (such as
 this this
).

The device itself, I currently have the following for trial purposes:
  • iPad2 (though my wife uses this all the time),
  • Asus ME301T (10.1" tablet)
  • Samsung Galaxy light (that I use as my primary phone)
  • Two AsusHD 7 tablets (though these I gave to my children as gifts)

I just listed those in case if any of the potential solutions offered are universaly compatible with those plus other devices. I am not restrained to those selections, and have also just started looking at stand-alone GPS devices on Amazon - would be willing to spend a little over $100 on the device and $40 or so on the bracket.

At this point I'd likely pick up another ASUS 7" tablet, dedicte it as the car's GPS (and possibly MP3 player hooked up into the car audio system in the future), as I anticipate that I will want a big screen, (though the mass of a 10.1 " tablet I anticipate too big for stability). I like the Google Navigation app, though also wanting to learn more about features of other suggested apps or even stand-alone GPS systems that might sway my decision (for example, one that can hear and clearly interpret voice commands so that I never have to take my hand off the wheel to use it).

As a bonus, it would be wonderful if any suggested solution would also not block the view of the rear camera of the tablet

Of course I write this in the RX 330 forum because I would love to see photos of your GPS/navigation solutions. Thanks!
Old 01-30-14, 10:21 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Not exactly what you are asking for, but Akron makes a number of mounts which might suffice, such as:

Amazon.com: Arkon TAB-FSM Tablet Seat Bolt Mount: Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: Arkon TAB-FSM Tablet Seat Bolt Mount: Computers & Accessories

You can check the company web site to see if they carry anything which is more to your liking.

FWIW, most here looking at infotainment needs have gone the route of replacing the stock stereo unit with an upgraded system to include NAV features.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ine-920hd.html
Old 02-03-14, 11:51 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by carpot
I like the Google Navigation app, though also wanting to learn more about features of other suggested apps or even stand-alone GPS systems that might sway my decision (for example, one that can hear and clearly interpret voice commands so that I never have to take my hand off the wheel to use it).
Some apps use map data stored on the device where Google relies on a data connection. I've been on too many roadtrips without data to rely on such solutions.

Originally Posted by carpot
Of course I write this in the RX 330 forum because I would love to see photos of your GPS/navigation solutions.
We use our iPhones (TomTom or Navigon) so what we use isn't all that relevant to you.
Old 02-07-14, 08:54 AM
kjv1611
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

takeshi74,

Google Maps DOES NOT have to rely on a data connection. For instance, they even show a video of using a Nexus 7 (pretty old now, I'm sure) where they downloaded the maps to the device before driving. So if you know where' you're going, you can simply download the maps. I've tried it, though don't use Google for my primary Nav. I generally use one called Nav Free USA which also runs with or without data. I do think they all do better WITH data, though. Nav Free with data is awesome, b/c you can use Google search to find nearby spots, and then use Nav Free for the navigation. Nav Free looks a LOT like Garmin devices, and others I"m sure.