RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 at the Houston Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-03, 10:05 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Post RX330 at the Houston Auto Show

We went down to the Reliant Center last night with friends to look for the replacement for my RX coming off lease April 1. A few real surprises, both good and bad…warning, the following is only my opinion:

First thing that strikes you is this season’s new color palate – and everybody’s dipping their brushes into it. Color may no longer differentiate brands. First is electric blue – beautiful color – much like the 350Z - it's everywhere! Next is a cinnamon red – US, Germany, Japan – how do they all share one can of paint? Light lime green is new too - well they had to paint the chick baskets, didn't they? Last year’s retina-searing yellow is thankfully on its way out – only the boy racers appear in lemon livery.

Good news! The 330 looks WAY better in person than in the photos. The beltline creases don’t seem to photograph well, but trust me; the overall effect is really attractive – at least from the front and side. I still have a bit of a problem with that goofy rear end, but the overall look is at least a full generation ahead of the competition. On the stand was the same RX as at the Detroit show, w/ Nav, DVD entertainment system and rear camera, power liftgate and other US standards. The rear windows are actually glass, not blacked-out panels as some photos seem to show. Although it doesn't show from the outside, the "C" and "D" pillars are fairly thick, reducing the open area of the glass to just a few square inches. They are probably too small to be useful - but hey, it may be a way to dispose of excess inventory of the "A" pillar glass from the 300 series.

Pricing is still pretty hazy. They’re telling everyone that it “starts at $34K, with a well-optioned vehicle going for $44K”. Yeah, just like the 300, just try buying one for $34K! That price is for a Japan-market product with no options (no moonroof or CD and a cloth interior). In theory you can order that car, but it won’t be easy. Assume a real-world MSRP of at least $40K.

Front and rear seats seem to offer slightly more room, but the real change is in the rear cargo space. It is considerably deeper than the 300 (seems about 5”-6” more at the floor), the reduction in the measured cubic foot capacity in the specs are due to the more extreme slope of the rear glass. Yes, there is less space available above the window sills, but how often do you pack your RX to the roof? With the spare slung below the floor, two cubbies are available at the rear edge about 6” deep (deeper bins at the sides) are easily accessible by pressing releases on the threshold plate. As before, a 12v outlet is available on the left bulkhead, and now a 110v outlet is available on the right fender well - with the DVD option, aux inputs for the overhead display are located under the 110v outlet cover. The power liftgate is released from the driver’s seat, or from the key fob, and can be closed by pressing a button on the bottom edge of the gate. Two beeps (from the security system – very like the unlock signal) at the front end of the car “warn” that the liftgate is moving at the rear. OK, it’s barely audible from the rear end of the car, so why bother? I was told that the reshuffle of the under-seat and rear compartments is to make room for the battery pack and electronics that will be used in the hybrid RX, still expected in 2005.

In the cabin the brushed nickel and burlwood trim is much more attractive than the pictures might indicate. The leather is without a doubt the best in the show. Colors are difficult to judge under the vapor lighting in the Reliant Center, but the 330 on display was one of the most attractive in a champagne-silver with ivory/light burlwood interior. I’ve never been attracted to “silver” – to me it looks like primer gray – but this one is a beauty! A touch of gold in the light metallic grey - sort of like the difference between my "golden pearl" and the refridgerator white of the current model. We can all celebrate the departure of the requisite cladding, the 330 looks like it spent the last couple of months at the gym.

Among all of the upscale crossovers at the show, the RX was the class act. While you can’t drive any of the show cars, and some you can’t even sit in, my impressions are extremely limited.

The FX35/45 is beautiful, a real styling coup for the French styling team that now leads Nissan. Once inside the impression falls flat, as in other examples of the marque, they haven’t learned that interior feel defines the luxury segment. Inside, this thing is a Crown Victoria. Somehow they’ve managed to make leather feel like fine cardboard and vinyl - especially on the doors and console.

The Cayenne was very impressive – fairly large, reasonably roomy, but about the interior size and feel of the X5. The interior leather feels cheap – about the same quality as the finish of the Infinity. Nice car, but in trying to keep the Porsche cachet, they created a really unfortunate look…I keep thinking someone in the design department must have said upon its creation, “It’s…ALIVE!!” :eek:

The Touareg is a far better choice. It is a beautiful vehicle; bigger than I expected with a muscular stance. In photos it looks like it's about the size of a Passat, but on the stand it appears to be about the size of the 330/X5/ML. With the 6 cyl it will compete directly with the other crossovers, with the W8 it will be awesome! Starting at about $35K for the 6, a $7K option brings practically all the goodies. The W8 starts about 9 grand higher, then adds the big options. This vehicle can look forward to a terrific future – IF they lose that VW badge. The upscale VWs will suffer in the marketplace here until some brand manager understands that in the US, a Volkswagen is perceived as a CHEAP car. Can they sell in the $35-$47K range? They’ve got a lot of perception to overcome (See Toyota / Lexus).

The Cadillac SRX looks great – a very impressive effort by GM. Well thought out and optioned, this crossover could be a superstar – until you get inside. Wisely, IMHO, they kept this one up on the turntable. When you crawled inside the CTX on the show floor you realize that Caddy has a lot to learn about today’s luxury market. The DeVille actually feels like a luxury car – why must the CTX/STX feel like such a poor relation?

The Lincoln Aviator is a nice piece of work. I’d like to see more differentiation between it and the Explorer – especially at that price! Overall a good job, but nothing really stands out. I guess I spent too many years driving glorified pickups (Suburbans) to be impressed by leather-lined trucklets. Putting leather, wood inlay, and a little brushed stainless trim on a $14K pickup is about the equivalent of putting lipstick on a pig - it improves the look, but it's still a pig.

BMW and Mercedes are due for an overhaul next year. They need it. A direct comparison with the new generation of crossover SUVs is almost unfair. They have fallen sadly behind the standard and will only complete on their badge image this year. If they can sort out their US manufacturing problems along with their update, they should do well.

One surprise – the Chrysler Pacifica. At its price point, about $32K- $35K, it looks like a comer. Watch for great things for this alternative to the T/C. If the Dodge variant gets the hemi, look out GTO, this could be the new RoadRunner that will suck your doors off! Just what the American motoring public wanted, a mommy van that will turn 13’s.

Did I find my car? Maybe. I have some more investigating to do, and more than a little haggling with the leasenazis. The RX330 and the Touareg top my list. The Volvo XC-90 looks good too, but I don’t want that close of a relationship with my mechanic. Hey, that Pacifica might be the replacement for our mommy van next year – wonder if the hemi will fit?

Last edited by Lil4X; 02-01-03 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-31-03, 09:56 PM
satxrx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nice reporting!

When's the auto show over in Houston? I might drop in town to check out the RX!

I agree with you about the Toureg. I read the C&D report and was impressed. It looks pretty cool and seems very capable on and off road. Thing that stops me from putting a deposit down on the Toureg is price point. I think it's either right at or more than the RX330. And I don't believe the VW is a Lexus quality vehicle. If the Toureg were 'round $32K (for V6) I think it would be a big-time winner.
Old 02-01-03, 12:30 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Post Show runs through the weekend!

Sorry, no pix anon - didn't even think about it after all the previous coverage...besides, I try to avoid dragging a camera whenever possible...makes me think I'm at work!

The show runs through this weekend, satx - 10am to 10:30pm Saturday and 10am to 7pm on Sunday. Tix are $8, with $1 discount coupons at local Chevron stations. Not much help, but it does help to offset the $7 (!!) parking fee. That's up a dollar from last year, two dollars from the year before. Ah, well - it's the price we pay to have the NFL back in town! I guess I shouldn't be so cheap, but it's a little strange when customers have to pay to see salesmen...OK, I'm spoiled.

Yeah, that Touareg is a beast, but like Lexus they low-ball the MSRP. Bet you can't get the $35K version. If you're going to pay over $14K for a VW, I think an aftermarket billet grille and shaved emblems should be considered a mandatory option. Upgrade to the Audi or the Porsche (same platform) and really feel the pain...in your wallet!

Buick (yes, Buick) had a couple of interesting concepts on their stand, unfortunately they never seem to build any of them. The cars they do build don't even look like they came from the same planet.

Unlike Buick, Dodge/Chrysler/Daimler/Benz who tend to BUILD their concepts say the Magnum SRT-8 concept - based on the Pacifica platform - WILL include the 5.8L hemi - with a blower as an option. That's 345hp/375ftlbs and 430hp/480ftlbs, respectively, driving the rear wheels through a 5-spd auto tranny. Yikes! :eek:

'Course if that's too tame, there's always the Tomahawk - the motorcycle with the Viper powerplant... Be the first on your block to own the Saturn 5 of crotch rockets! ...just don't try to stop or turn it.

Last edited by Lil4X; 02-01-03 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-07-03, 05:31 PM
tkphua
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up RX330 - GREAT pictures!

Originally posted by anonymous
did you take any photos of the RX?
check out these sites:

http://www.spacelan.ne.jp/~nagase/ha....html#newrx330

http://www.speedycars.net/wallpaper/lexus_rx.html

the pixs are GREAT! mainly of high resolution, thus may take a while to download if your connection speed is slow.

enjoy!
phua
singapore
Attached Thumbnails RX330 at the Houston Auto Show-1709picture_012-med.jpg  
Old 02-07-03, 05:49 PM
anonymous
Pit Crew

thanks for the links. i was hoping someone would have pictures from different angles of it in one of the new colors such as neptune blue mica
Old 02-11-03, 11:54 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Very good reporting.

Like you, I've also said it all along-- the RX330 LOOKS BETTER in person!
Old 02-12-03, 03:10 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Post A visit to the dealer today...

Had an opportunity this afternoon to visit my local dealer to get put on the list for a 330. The champagne-silver color I described that was in the Houston (and Detroit) Auto Show is called "Savannah" and will likely be a popular choice. Other colors should be announced in a couple of weeks, with pricing finalized by mid-April. While the first 330s will reach the dealers' lots about April 1st, look for a delay of six to eight weeks before backorders are filled. If you are considering a 330, I was told the Nav option, since it will be bundled with other options (not entirely sure which), will be pricey. Checking that box on the order form may also delay delivery, since many people on the list are ordering their Lexus "loaded", up to $47K. That's the dealer's term, not mine...