RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2004 RX330 Strut Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-13, 07:55 PM
tholmqu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 RX330 Strut Install

After reading several threads about struts, I decided to DIY. I knew my rear struts were bad (tires cupped), but I decided to replace all four. I ordered all new parts (except for the spring) via Amazon. It took me 3 hours to jack it up & remove all 4 struts. A friend of mine who has a body shop, compressed the springs and replaced with the new parts(1.5 hours). Everything is going fantastic, so far. I brought the 4 struts home and started to install the front struts. PROBLEM!! The 3 bolts on the upper strut mount are evenly spaced and can fit any way. There is 2 arrows on the top of it. I can't figure out if the arrows should point to the front of the car or towards the wheel or towards the motor or even to the rear. This is probably very elementary, but I am confused!!!!

I need help. Thank you for your time. Ty
Old 09-05-13, 05:55 PM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tholmqu
After reading several threads about struts, I decided to DIY. I knew my rear struts were bad (tires cupped), but I decided to replace all four. I ordered all new parts (except for the spring) via Amazon. It took me 3 hours to jack it up & remove all 4 struts. A friend of mine who has a body shop, compressed the springs and replaced with the new parts(1.5 hours). Everything is going fantastic, so far. I brought the 4 struts home and started to install the front struts. PROBLEM!! The 3 bolts on the upper strut mount are evenly spaced and can fit any way. There is 2 arrows on the top of it. I can't figure out if the arrows should point to the front of the car or towards the wheel or towards the motor or even to the rear. This is probably very elementary, but I am confused!!!!

I need help. Thank you for your time. Ty
This is just my two cents, but must parts (that I have worked with, or worked on) that move, rotate, or require a specific directional installation, the arrow usual points to the direction of travel (like an arrow on a directional tire).....if I were to GUESS, I would point them to the front of the car.

But hopefully someone on this board can provide you with a definitive answer.
Old 09-05-13, 10:13 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

The arrow points out wards. And should line up with the gap in the lower part of the strut which slides into the knuckle assembly below. Where the two large bolts feed through, that gap.

Hope this helps.

Also, I hope you fed the two straight notches on the strut pole where its threaded correctly into the strut mount.
Old 09-06-13, 05:32 PM
tholmqu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HtownBlue
The arrow points out wards. And should line up with the gap in the lower part of the strut which slides into the knuckle assembly below. Where the two large bolts feed through, that gap.

Hope this helps.

Also, I hope you fed the two straight notches on the strut pole where its threaded correctly into the strut mount.
HtownBlue, you were exactly correct. BTW, I was on the phone with KYB Tech Support for almost an hour. They didn't know what they were talking about. Waste of time.

NEW PROBLEM!!! In the process of replacing the front struts, the drive shaft pulled out of the differential drive case (I believe this is the CV joint) and oil dripped onto the ground. I can get the CV joint (?) back into the drive case, but I am having a major problem getting the boot back onto the drive case. Is there any magic I can perform to accomplish this??? Also, is there a fill hole to put oil (90W I would guess) back in?

Thank you again for your time. Ty
Old 09-07-13, 08:51 PM
tholmqu
Driver School Candidate

I found the answer on techinfo.toyota.com. I have a FWD and there is no oil in the CV joint; you just fill it with grease.
Old 09-08-13, 02:21 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes there is only grease. The boot question kind of confuses me, but the inner boot does not fully engage the tranny case.
Old 07-19-15, 04:36 PM
cfarrow
Driver School Candidate

anyone have experience with the spring/strut combo for rx330 from a1auto??