RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Lowering question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-12, 02:51 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Howiefied
If your struts were worn you'd know about it by now. You can always do the struts when you need to, it's not a huge job.
I probably have to get new struts in the next 10-15 thousand miles.
Old 07-10-12, 02:58 PM
ho0n
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't have to, but I did it anyway. The struts were getting worn out, and as they are parts that are designed purposefully to break down over time, I decided it would be a matter of months anyhow. Overall, I'm sure it saved me time and money.
Old 07-11-12, 07:43 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by aztr0
Slamming a SUV... why? Never understood it.
It's not slamming it at all. This is lowering it just enough to still maintain some good ride quality but get rid of a little (not all) of the ghastly wheel gap.
Old 07-11-12, 08:46 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by draco
It's not slamming it at all. This is lowering it just enough to still maintain some good ride quality but get rid of a little (not all) of the ghastly wheel gap.
I agree but also I might add that the height is almost dangerous. Even Lexus/Toyota has a warning on the visor about making turns too fast. Ridiculous. So I like driving lower with wider wheels. I have more traction and better aerodynamics.
Old 07-11-12, 01:06 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Hey quick question: Does Coilovers replace shocks and struts?
Old 07-11-12, 01:45 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by adam8065
Hey quick question: Does Coilovers replace shocks and struts?
yup, yes they do.
Old 07-11-12, 03:51 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by infinirx
yup, yes they do.
Great, I decided to purchase coilovers because I have to replace both my struts and shocks soon, and the cost would be roughly the same as purchasing coilovers.

Anyone know a few good companies that offer coilovers for the RX?
Old 07-11-12, 04:11 PM
Howiefied
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Tein (branded as TTE) offer an excellent set for the rx.
Old 07-11-12, 08:51 PM
digger11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by alchemist
I personally wouldnt do it as my wife drives our RX but some like this look:

Hilarious !
I assume that this is some type of Photoshop joke ?

No one one their right mind would rice up an R X .

The Lexus engineers spend hundreds of millions designing the best system they can and some Johnny from the jungle decides that lowering the car will improve the safety!

This is really funny stuff, keep it up,I haven't had such a good laugh for weeks.
Old 07-11-12, 09:11 PM
Howiefied
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That ride.. is infinitirx's car on the air runner suspension system. Obviously it doesn't sit that low when it's driving.

As for whether or not lowering improves the safety of the car? Anyone not on drugs will know that with proper coilovers will give you lower center of gravity, less body roll, less suspension travel.. if you're only driving on sealed roads then it really is a no brainer. The difference is day and night on the RX, that's why the lowering coils from Team Toyota Europe are offered as options on the RX's and Harriers in pretty much all of asia.
Old 07-11-12, 09:53 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by digger11
Hilarious !
I assume that this is some type of Photoshop joke ?

No one one their right mind would rice up an R X .

The Lexus engineers spend hundreds of millions designing the best system they can and some Johnny from the jungle decides that lowering the car will improve the safety!

This is really funny stuff, keep it up,I haven't had such a good laugh for weeks.
Digger11, everyone has a right to do what they want with their cars. Some people will leave cars as stock as they come from the factory, some people will modify them because that's what they do. If you had actually bothered to see the progress of infinirx's RX and the fact that it also goes on the show circuit, maybe you would understand. If I found out, after posting your comments, that you have added anything to your car then shame on you because remember the" Lexus engineers spent hundreds of millions for your stock car" . I hope that your car is as it was from the factory, even including the original specific tyres etc. etc. etc. Show a bit of respect! Some people don't like being lemmings, and it's quite apparent that you want to live up to that way of life.

Go on infinirx and all other people that have done modifications to their cars (regardless of how small or big). It shows what can be done to the car at the end of the day.
Old 07-12-12, 10:25 AM
Jumper73
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adam8065
I am wondering for people that have lowered the Rx's did you have to replace your shocks and struts too?

It seems like some people recommend while other don't.
It depends on at what point you are replacing the springs to lower the car.

If you are doing it at 0-25,000 miles or so, I wouldn't swap out the shocks/struts if car was driven in "normal" manner, and if all checked out OK.

If you are doing it at 30,000+ miles, I would replace it only because you are already there doing it, plus it's past certain mileage point where you would replace this item sooner than later. Why not just get it done when you are already doing it. For my personal experience, I've replaced it at as early as 15,000 for my peace of mind even when both springs/shocks checked out just fine.

As for longevity, let me give this example:

My Altima was dropped at about 15,000 miles. At the time, I replaced the shocks and struts (GR2 which is comparable to OEM) along with Eibach lowering springs which dropped the car about 1". It now has 120,000 miles and springs/struts are still in OK condition.

So in short, as long as it's not abused and you avoid the pot holes as much as possible, you should be fine with about 1-1.5" drop on an SUV such as RX.

Last edited by Jumper73; 07-12-12 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-12-12, 12:34 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jumper73
It depends on at what point you are replacing the springs to lower the car.

If you are doing it at 0-25,000 miles or so, I wouldn't swap out the shocks/struts if car was driven in "normal" manner, and if all checked out OK.

If you are doing it at 30,000+ miles, I would replace it only because you are already there doing it, plus it's past certain mileage point where you would replace this item sooner than later. Why not just get it done when you are already doing it. For my personal experience, I've replaced it at as early as 15,000 for my peace of mind even when both springs/shocks checked out just fine.

As for longevity, let me give this example:

My Altima was dropped at about 15,000 miles. At the time, I replaced the shocks and struts (GR2 which is comparable to OEM) along with Eibach lowering springs which dropped the car about 1". It now has 120,000 miles and springs/struts are still in OK condition.

So in short, as long as it's not abused and you avoid the pot holes as much as possible, you should be fine with about 1-1.5" drop on an SUV such as RX.

Your absolutely right, I will only look into getting new coilovers when I need to replace my struts and shocks. So I probably will be waiting at least 6-12 months now.
Old 07-12-12, 03:50 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where can you find TTE suspension for the RX these days ?
Old 07-18-12, 09:03 PM
ho0n
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mowmow
Where can you find TTE suspension for the RX these days ?
^ second.

My most recent information tells me that Cusco and Ksport offer coilovers for the RX as well. There is a fourth brand, but I've NEVER heard of them before, so I wouldn't go with them.

Quick Reply: Lowering question.