RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Horrible Steering vibration! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-12, 02:19 PM
cartman57
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alchemist
My wife's 2006 RX330 (95k miles) has had 2 episodes now with an awful vibration at highway speeds. I don't mean a minor rumble that is consistent, I mean a jarring vibration from the front where we've had to pull off the road. The steering was going left to right vigorously. It starts slowly then gets worse and worse until you have to stop the car. Very dangerous!
Sounds a bit like 'death wobble' associated with some solid axle Jeep vehicles when lifted improperly.
I understand it's not the case with you but there might be badly worn parts somewhere, don't forget the rear end too, could transfer the wobble from the rear to the front. Put it up on jackstands to try and move everything.
Keep the post active with your findings.
Old 07-06-12, 02:42 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Any competent shop will be able to make a determination of this problem for you. Definitely agree with the others in that this is not safe to be driving and especially at those speeds. Could be a number of issues, however, there is probably enough play in whatever is wrong to make this somewhat obvious once up on the rack.

While only guessing, I am going to put money on a drive shaft / axle failure.
Old 07-06-12, 08:58 PM
SaneEnch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See if this description fit: vibration only happen during a really hot day (does not happen during cold weather), driving on a solid high way that's smooth with no bump. Typically happen after about 20+minutes of driving. It happens when you hit 60+mph (50-60 if this is a balancing issue). Once you stop and go, the vibration is gone. Balancing and alignment don't help.

Check your rotors for warp, both side for each rotor. I have the above symptoms and have the car checked 3x by the dealer and they can't reproduce the vibration and they see no issue with the car. I finally took the car to a shop to have all the rotors change and notice that the inner side of both rear rotors were badly warped. It solved the issue and since then I have 0 vibration.

If this is the case. Make sure you change ALL the warped rotors AND the pads. Don't try to save money by only changing the rotors. Bad pads will eventually warp your new rotors. Shouldn't cost more than $500 for all 4 rotors and 4 set of pads. Hope this help.

Last edited by SaneEnch; 07-06-12 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-07-12, 12:41 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by cartman57
Sounds a bit like 'death wobble' associated with some solid axle Jeep vehicles when lifted improperly.
I understand it's not the case with you but there might be badly worn parts somewhere, don't forget the rear end too, could transfer the wobble from the rear to the front. Put it up on jackstands to try and move everything.
Keep the post active with your findings.
This is EXACTLY what it is. Youtube vids of this are crazy...factory jeeps and fords doing this right off the showroom floor. Only problem is there could be many solutions. Something has to be loose/broken somewhere, i'll look underneath this weekend. Thanks!
Old 07-07-12, 12:43 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Originally Posted by SaneEnch
See if this description fit: vibration only happen during a really hot day (does not happen during cold weather), driving on a solid high way that's smooth with no bump. Typically happen after about 20+minutes of driving. It happens when you hit 60+mph (50-60 if this is a balancing issue). Once you stop and go, the vibration is gone. Balancing and alignment don't help.

Check your rotors for warp, both side for each rotor. I have the above symptoms and have the car checked 3x by the dealer and they can't reproduce the vibration and they see no issue with the car. I finally took the car to a shop to have all the rotors change and notice that the inner side of both rear rotors were badly warped. It solved the issue and since then I have 0 vibration.

If this is the case. Make sure you change ALL the warped rotors AND the pads. Don't try to save money by only changing the rotors. Bad pads will eventually warp your new rotors. Shouldn't cost more than $500 for all 4 rotors and 4 set of pads. Hope this help.
Why would you not notice this under braking though? Is your as violent as the death wobble? Mine is.
Old 07-07-12, 04:18 AM
SaneEnch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by alchemist
Why would you not notice this under braking though? Is your as violent as the death wobble? Mine is.
According to the mechanic that did the new brake, the vibration is there, but it's less during lower speed and less noticeable in the bad road of NYC. Metal expand in extreme hot temp, when driving in high speed, the expanded metal touch against the warped rotor and created the vibration. Mine was very bad, the whole steering wheel and front of the car vibrate. The vibration typically start small from the steering wheel and it get worsen as you ignore it and drive further. Use a light to check both side, it might not be it for you, but it is in my case.
Old 07-07-12, 07:06 AM
shikbas
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have rx 330. It did those violent vibrations specilly on driving downhill and braking on high speed. Replced all corners brakes and no issues
Old 07-07-12, 11:05 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Originally Posted by shikbas
I have rx 330. It did those violent vibrations specilly on driving downhill and braking on high speed. Replced all corners brakes and no issues
Only twice it happened for me both over 70mph. Braking for me even high speed is smooth as silk
Old 07-07-12, 12:13 PM
SaneEnch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shikbas
Make sure you replace the pads AND the rotors. I did the pads once and the vibration came back a year later because the warped rotors created uneven wear on the new pads and they went bad quickly again. You don't want to have to replace pads every 12 months. My rotors were badly warp only on the inside lining, therefore it was difficult to tell. Some mechanics and service stations won't even tell you or care because they want you to come back every 12 months. They just pop the pads and throw it out without looking at them. Uneven wear on brake pads is the first sign of warp rotors.
Old 07-07-12, 05:17 PM
shikbas
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SaneEnch
Make sure you replace the pads AND the rotors. I did the pads once and the vibration came back a year later because the warped rotors created uneven wear on the new pads and they went bad quickly again. You don't want to have to replace pads every 12 months. My rotors were badly warp only on the inside lining, therefore it was difficult to tell. Some mechanics and service stations won't even tell you or care because they want you to come back every 12 months. They just pop the pads and throw it out without looking at them. Uneven wear on brake pads is the first sign of warp rotors.
Yes every thing
Old 07-07-12, 06:16 PM
stevenmoua
Driver School Candidate

I had a similar problem. Took it to Meineke, they took off the tires and checked the brakes and tie rods, they said everything was fine. After I rotated the tires, it was a lot better. It's probably the cheapest thing to do.
Old 07-07-12, 09:01 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 408 Likes on 282 Posts

Can I REALLY get all 4 wheels redone....pads AND rotors...for $500 total, using OEM Lexus parts and all labor? Really? I have some vibration and would do all 4 if I could get it done for that.
Old 07-07-12, 09:52 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
Can I REALLY get all 4 wheels redone....pads AND rotors...for $500 total, using OEM Lexus parts and all labor? Really? I have some vibration and would do all 4 if I could get it done for that.
Just my opinion, but the OEM pads and rotors are not up to par with other manufacturer's parts. Why replace with the same rotors that warped when you can get better rotors at a better price that are guaranteed not to warp?
Old 07-08-12, 01:23 AM
cartman57
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IF you're planing to get all 4 brakes redone http://www.r1concepts.com/lexus-rx330-2006-rx330awd.htm
OEQ rotors are a great price.
Would still recomend to check the F/R suspension and steering components.
Old 07-08-12, 04:47 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
You might be able to get OEM parts for all four corners, assuming a decent discount, for under $500. To get those parts installed at that price is purely fictional. If you went to a Lexus dealer and they quoted the job for you it would probably be twice that price.

FWIW, even with our club discount at Sewell those parts with shipping to my location would be over $500 ($520).

If you went cheap you could probably find third party parts for around $200. However, am not sure what quality you would get for brake pads and rotors at $200. Then, you would need to find a shop to do the work for you to install those $200 parts. Good luck in that. Even if you found one I doubt they would warranty any of the work as it is not their parts being installed.

Quick Reply: Horrible Steering vibration! Help!