RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Front end/steering issues...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-20, 07:18 PM
Janajmb
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front end/steering issues...HELP!

Ok, I have an 09 lexus rx350. About a month ago I had my struts replaced, my tie rod ends replaced and bushings replaced. Initially when I picked it up from having the work done, it drove a million times better (no constant noise in the rear from the bad struts) but there was a whole other array of noises coming now from the front end. I took it back to the shop and they at first thought it was a manufacturer defect of parts and agreed to keep it and switch them out. When I went back 36 hours later to pick it up, they informed me of my rack and pinion being broke. Ok, I am a female but I know how to use google and i know that they had to attach some of the parts they said they replaced to the rack and pinion so therefor why would they have not noticed this in the original repair?! Ok, also, they claimed that they did no work while they had my vehicle, but yet it now made none of the noise it was making the several days after I first picked it up from them. Hmmm. Yeah, I got screwed on that deal obviously big time. Anyhow, I need some advice on what to do now. Obviously I need my rack and pinion replaced, but mind you, I was just out $2200 for the work last month. When driving the car now, the constantly loud interior beeping from the VSC OFF light and traction control light is so annoying, not to mention dangerous. It locks up my brakes at times while driving when they go off. Scary! I read that means you need a zero point calibration? And only dealerships do this work? Again, I’m broke from the lady repair still. Help! I would appreciate it so much! Advice, comments, pointers in the RIGHT direction. I’ll take all of it. Thanks!
Old 09-10-20, 02:22 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 182 Likes on 169 Posts

First thing I would do is take it in for a 2nd and even 3rd opinion. Go to small shops that specialize in toyota/lexus, avoid dealer at all costs. Do not give the ok until you have multiple mechanics pointing you to the same issue and has the best price.

Rack only needs replacing if it leaks power steering fluid, you need to define "broke" or exactly what they mentioned was wrong with it.

VSC OFF and Traction control can come on with many different reasons, best to have the codes read.
Old 09-10-20, 07:46 PM
Janajmb
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
First thing I would do is take it in for a 2nd and even 3rd opinion. Go to small shops that specialize in toyota/lexus, avoid dealer at all costs. Do not give the ok until you have multiple mechanics pointing you to the same issue and has the best price.

Rack only needs replacing if it leaks power steering fluid, you need to define "broke" or exactly what they mentioned was wrong with it.

VSC OFF and Traction control can come on with many different reasons, best to have the codes read.

thank you so much for your response. I will definitely take your advice on that. Now, if the power steering were in fact leaking, how would I know that? Would there be fluid on the ground underneath or just low on the fluid itself?
Old 09-10-20, 11:11 PM
tomr51
Intermediate

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

check the level in the resavor
Old 09-11-20, 09:40 PM
Janajmb
7th Gear

Originally Posted by tomr51
check the level in the resavor
I’m sorry, but what are you speaking of? I haven’t a clue to be honest. Thanks for replying though and please let me know.
Old 09-11-20, 09:47 PM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 220 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Janajmb
I’m sorry, but what are you speaking of? I haven’t a clue to be honest. Thanks for replying though and please let me know.
I think - "reservoir", i.e. check the level of steering fluid.
Old 09-12-20, 02:14 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 182 Likes on 169 Posts

For a bad leak like mine, yes, it would puke red fluid under the car by the front wheels. Otherwise best easy check is the "power steering reservoir" which unfortunately is under the black covers on the passenger side when you open the engine hood.