RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Major Water Leak - Desperately Need Some Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-19, 01:58 PM
NYCRx400h
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This is a pervasive Lexus problem

Lexus knows, issued TSBs. Many models and years affected. I have had 10 years of leaks in my RX400h (destroyed several carpets, hatchback, and required environmental remediation). Lexus seems to prefer to ignore and blame on plugged drainage tubes. Which can be cleared but inevitably recurs. My insurance adjuster says he sees this issue in Lexus all the time and much more rarely in other brands. Toyota oddly does not have this problem.
The following users liked this post:
SJM (08-19-21)
Old 08-04-20, 02:31 PM
DelbertN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How I cleared sunroof drains

My 2002 RX300 recently started smelling funky/damp inside. After heavy rains last night I found sopping wet driver's side floor mats. I found this thread and decided to inspect the sunroof drains. I opened the sunroof and located the drain holes in the front corner of the sunroof gutter and poured in a small amount of water from a pitcher. The water did not drain.

Previous posts in this thread suggested mild application of compressed air to clear the sunroof drain lines. I took a flexible plastic soda straw (the kind with accordion bellows so you can bend the end) and inserted it into the drain holes. It was an almost perfect fit. I then blew as hard as I could into the straw. I think (not sure) that the airflow was easier after the first few seconds, suggesting that maybe I cleared something in the drainage path. Or maybe I just cleared the drain hole opening; the hole was a lot bigger looking after I finished (I think the opening was partially plugged with debris).

Anyway, after this procedure I poured in some more water and it drained quickly and freely. It remains to be seen whether this will stop the leak into the cabin floor, but I just wanted to tell about using the soda straw as a tool. Somebody might find it useful.
Old 08-05-20, 09:57 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 461 Likes on 402 Posts

Rx's aren't the only vehicles w/ water leaking issues......With '10-'16 srx's you'll need to extend the A-pillar drains as they're a little short as well as keep the C-pillar drains cleaned as if water fills up which takes out the module which is on the left side that operates the rear hatch. For ppl that can't deal with where the the water is getting in & repairing, your best bet is a quality body shop........
Old 08-08-20, 07:11 AM
Savnout
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by draco
If it does turn out to be the roof rack removal being the cause of the issue and insurance can't cover it, I guess the next couple of questions are:

* How do I clean the carpet now that it has been wet considerably?
* Is there a potential problem with mould? The car has overnight been kept closed (i.e. all windows)
* The car has been left with the windows open when it was at home, but not at the train station to allow the smell to get out (can't trust people these days sadly). When it has dried up, the smell has reduced considerably and to my nose smells as though it has dissipated.
* Should I remove the whole carpet and clean this way? Is this a gigantic task? What would I need to remove to remove the whole carpet (just the seats, centre console)?

If it's not the sunroof drain, did you check and see if your A/C drain is not plugged up. That too will dump water from AC onto passenger side floor. Probably the sunroof drains, have seen that post many times on the forum. I try to blow mine out every spring.
Sav
Old 07-29-21, 03:45 PM
sinthome
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alright! I seem to have found the master thread for water leak issues. I discovered the driver's side floorboard of my old, trusty 07 RX400h was soaked with water. I opened the little plastic access panel along the center console (passenger side) and determined that I think it is a leak from where the condensation drain hose connects to the a/c unit. It was a little confusing because the insulation material was sopping wet and spread the water around, but I'm hoping it is that simple. My first inclination is to cut back an inch off the hose and push it back onto the barb. However, since everyone is saying that these hoses are already so short, I am hesitant to dislodge it or otherwise cause a problem that way. I am thinking I will add a mini hose clamp (there is currently nothing but friction securing the hose to the plastic barb, not sure if there should be a clamp originally) to it and hopefully that solves the issue.

Last edited by sinthome; 07-29-21 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-30-21, 09:44 AM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 218 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by sinthome
Alright! I seem to have found the master thread for water leak issues. I discovered the driver's side floorboard of my old, trusty 07 RX400h was soaked with water. I opened the little plastic access panel along the center console (passenger side) and determined that I think it is a leak from where the condensation drain hose connects to the a/c unit....
Can you post a photo?
Old 08-06-21, 07:44 AM
schicmg
Driver School Candidate

Default Water Leak Solved

2009 RX350. I solved my wet carpet saga after many attempts.

The forward sunroof drains terminate in the A-pillar where there is a grommet between the A-pillar and the rocker panel. This grommet was plugged with debris allowing the lower A-pillar to fill with water and drain into the footwell. Clear the debris and never had wet carpets again. Chasing the drain hose with a wire WILL NOT clear this, they are not connected.

Looking down into the base of the A-pillar. Drain tube seen on left. Grommet after cleaning.

Same grommet before cleaning.
SJM (07-31-22)
Old 08-31-21, 07:29 PM
taterk
Driver School Candidate

I think I have the same issue going on with my 2006 RX330. How did you clean that out? It's very difficult to access.
Old 09-01-21, 07:42 AM
schicmg
Driver School Candidate

It's difficult to access and you will be working blind. I used a long flexible brush and some household cleaner, like 409. I believe the blockage was some sort of mold, it came off easily. Once cleared, rinse water drained rapidly into the rocker and to the ground. Good luck.
Old 09-13-21, 08:09 AM
robertito
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

On a 2007 RX 400h…

FYI— I had the dreaded leak a couple of years ago. Being a condo dweller and not having the capability to even diagnose the issue, I took it to the dealer. They disassembled the interior, fixed the issue, and charged $850 for the pleasure (after -15% coupon).

Earlier this year, another forum (non-car) that I frequent was having an auto insurance conversation, and comprehensive coverage came up. And I thought that this might fall under that category.

So I contacted my agent, who said send in the receipt. Two weeks later the bucks were ACH’d, no questions asked.
lccgl479 (09-15-21)
Old 11-22-21, 12:48 PM
gw53
Driver School Candidate

Default Clean sunroof drain body cavity holes from underside

Originally Posted by schicmg
2009 RX350. I solved my wet carpet saga after many attempts.

The forward sunroof drains terminate in the A-pillar where there is a grommet between the A-pillar and the rocker panel. This grommet was plugged with debris allowing the lower A-pillar to fill with water and drain into the footwell. Clear the debris and never had wet carpets again. Chasing the drain hose with a wire WILL NOT clear this, they are not connected.

Looking down into the base of the A-pillar. Drain tube seen on left. Grommet after cleaning.

Same grommet before cleaning.

I found a plug behind the front wheel well fibre liner, about 4-5” above the bottom of car. Remove 3 hex socket-head screws to release liner from wheel opening. While you’re at it, remove the 2-piece plastic plugs holding the liner in place around the top of wheel well, and pull liner down to reach above the wheel well lip and clean out the accumulated crud which can hold moisture leading to rust.
When you remove the plastic plug you can reach in and up behind the hole to touch the bottom of round plastic drain fitting.

I used an inspection camera to see up inside the hole and used it to guide a flexible test-tube brush up into the fitting to clear the ~1/4” hole. There is not a lot of debris in there - only what comes down from the sunroof drain tube. Now water poured into the roof drain pours freely out of the fitting into the large lower rocker panel cavity, then from its drains to the ground. The roof drain fitting & cavity in question are higher than the floor of the car -just below the hole which allows water into footwell. Thus they are not accessible from the bottom side of car, only through this plastic plug in the wheel well.
I will post some photos of the fitting & cleaning brush inserted, when I get them off my inspection camera.

Access hole behind wheel well cover to clear sunroof drain fitting from below

Looking into wheel well plug hole; test tube brush up in to drain fitting

Test tube brush in drain fitting via wheel well access hole.

Last edited by gw53; 03-08-23 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Additional photos
Old 07-24-22, 11:15 AM
cfh13427
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Default '05 RX330 Sunroof Leaking!

'05 RX330 DIY to stop Sunroof leaking tips or suggestions.
I've had the drains cleaned and the seal checked, but after a Heavy rain there is water puddles on the front carpet! Any Suggestions?
Old 07-24-22, 04:57 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 461 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by cfh13427
'05 RX330 DIY to stop Sunroof leaking tips or suggestions.
I've had the drains cleaned and the seal checked, but after a Heavy rain there is water puddles on the front carpet! Any Suggestions?
I'd be checking to, Where is it draining....Possibly the hose is to short. I've have seen a few ppl have had that problem on y-tube a few yrs ago, when I was checking rx's out.......
Old 07-24-22, 05:15 PM
cfh13427
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix
I'd be checking to, Where is it draining....Possibly the hose is to short. I've have seen a few ppl have had that problem on y-tube a few yrs ago, when I was checking rx's out.......
Thank You, I will do this, it's mainly the front Paas carpet that gets Soaked, the water drips off the LF visor onto the seat and carpet. And the headliner gets soaked on that side Too!
I've got the taped the Sunroof off with Blue Painters Tape for now, I don't like doing that either! Thanks Again, Chuck
Old 07-26-22, 03:57 AM
Aldobene
2nd gear

Default AC Evaporator canister

Originally Posted by draco
I have suffered what some people on the forum have mentioned before, in that my car has wet carpet, particularly in the passenger footwell and I have also noticed on the driver's side as well. My car did have a funky smell quite a few weeks ago, but after a couple of weeks of good strong sunlight and heat that smell went away. At the time I thought maybe some water had spilled and it just needed to dry up.

Yesterday we had a bucket full of rain. Quite heavy and strong. I didn't notice anything yesterday when I got to my car as it was still raining. However this morning I found that the smell was back (that wet carpet / mouldy smell) and I had a few minutes before the next train arrived. I checked quickly and found that the passenger side (in Australia it's the left side of the car facing forwards) carpet had a small wet patch.

Anyway got home after work and proceeded to find out what might be causing the problem. I dismantled part of the passenger side and lifted up the carpet and found that all underneath (the padding / noise proofing) was soaked wet.

I removed the plug that normally sits there and the amount of excess water from that plug to the garage floor was more than I was expecting

** Drain Plug **

I asked my wife to point a hose at the sunroof to see if I could spot where the water was coming from. I noticed that just underneath a big electrical bank sitting just above the carpet, water was basically running out of this hole.

** Close up of the hole where water is pretty much running straight through, basically someone turned a tap on and it just leaks straight into the carpet **

As you can see the closeness to the wiring is dangerously close.

I tried to see if the sunroof holes were blocked and they looked okay. I took some whipper snipper string and tried to feed it down the sunroof holes, but alas did not see where this would come out. I tried searching under the car, but couldn't find the spot where the water would normally drain out. The string went in and I fed it through, but eventually I hit a block somewhere but I don't know if this is a problem or just the string couldn't twist to get where it needed to.

Can anyone help here please? I need to find out why there is water spilling into my cabin at the footwell. This has started to ruin my carpet and getting into the car with that smell surely isn't good for my or my family's health. Does anyone know where this is meant to be draining out underneath the car? How do I fix this leak without spending a fortune? I urgently need assistance here.
As the AC runs the condensing water accumulates in what looks like a 1 pound coffee can called Evaporator Canister. These easily replacible parts are generally located near the passenger side firewall (foot area). It's generally a low cost if you do it yourself. If not you probably would need to mortgage your home and sell your furniture to pay some mechanic.
SJM (07-31-22)

Quick Reply: Major Water Leak - Desperately Need Some Help