RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Ignition Switch is Locked

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-11, 08:47 AM
LexusLoyal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Ignition Switch is Locked

I've searched this forum, but wondering if anyone else has any other input.
I put my LS 430 key in my RX330 yesterday, I realized as soon as the ignition would not turn. I put the RX key in, and ignition will not turn. I'm assuming that the pins may be locked so I tried a few options.
- I wiggled the key.
- I lubricated the lock.
- I tried rocking the car while trying to turn the ignition.
- I tapped the ignition lightly with a screw driver and hammer, as noted in other posts, but no help.
- I turn the steering wheel while turning ignition to make sure its not locked.

I really don't want to get the car towed to the stealer/dealer.
Old 11-27-11, 09:29 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Yea the security system locked you out....maybe try unplugging the battery for 10 minutes and that will reset the system....I know I read somewhere, but cant remember...
Old 11-27-11, 09:34 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

try this:
Well I found this..

"So, I thought I would post this on here since it was VERY helpful to me when we accidently put the wrong Lexus keys in the ignition....

After putting the wrong key in the ignition, there is a safety feature that locks out all keys from starting the car. I read somewhere online the protocol and thought I'd help anyone else out in my problem so you don't have to tow it to the nearest dealership.

Sit in the car with the doors closed, master key in hand.
Hit the unlock button on the key 3 times.
Wait 5 seconds.
Wait 5 seconds.
Put the key in the ignition and turn.

Voila! It SHOULD start....this worked for me and saved me $$$!"

And I seem to remember that before my key stopped working, I accidentally tried to use the key from my wife's 2010 Equinox. It didn't fit, but as soon as the metal of the key touched the metal of the ignition switch, the steering wheel started to move (you know how the steering moves away from the driver when you park, and moves back toward the driver when you put key in). I 'think' I then tried to use the Lexus key and it didn't work. I don't remember for sure, but will try this experiment next time I'm in the RX
The following users liked this post:
yappcd (02-24-18)
Old 11-27-11, 03:21 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The ignition in my RX400h did this to me a few times (without me putting the wrong key in).
I didn't try hammer and screwdriver, but I did this..

Put the key in, hit it firmly with the palm of your hand (hit directily inward (in the direction that the key is inserted).

Worked for me.
Old 11-27-11, 04:45 PM
LexusLoyal
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice,
I tried all of the above, unfortunately no success yet.
Might give it another day or two before I take it in, or call a locksmith.
Old 11-29-11, 04:35 PM
LexusLoyal
Driver School Candidate

Just an update,
After the car was sitting in the garage for 6 days, I decided to give it one last shot. I started turning the key quite forcefully and all a sudden the ignitions turned.
Old 11-30-11, 01:42 PM
Vlad6525
Pit Crew

Received 107 Likes on 65 Posts

HAMMER AND A SCREWDRIVER! Same thing happened to me - inserted GX key into RX... Couple of gentle knocks (back end of the screwdriver into ignition!) and problem solved!
Old 11-30-11, 02:02 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hammer and screwdriver...makes sense, I achieved the same result by slamming my palm into the key in the direction the key is inserted, but there's the fear of breaking the key. Hasn't happened to me in a while, but I'll try the screwdriver/hammer next time.
Old 10-07-14, 05:20 AM
Ripsnort
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I called the service manager at 3 different Lexus Dealers to get the answer that worked:

Put your key into the driver's side door, turn the key back and forth 3 or 4 times to lock and unlock, put key in ignition and it should work (it did for me).
Strlsn (10-29-21)
Old 02-24-18, 11:12 PM
yappcd
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gave you a thanks because your post saved my A$$ this morning. I had to get to a Fedex Depot in less than 30 minutes and I could not start my car. With your post, I was back on the road in minutes. Again, thank you.
Strlsn (10-29-21)
Old 02-25-18, 01:58 PM
edwardh11
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

whats the purpose of whatever feature is causing this???? Dealers probably make a lot of money on it
Old 12-28-18, 12:07 PM
Chillboss
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Easiest way to unlock a locked switch no banging needed

Yesterdsy did the same mistake locked the ignition with the wrong Lexus key, so i seen all the other methods disconnected my battery for 30 min, didnt work locked and unlocked drivers door didn't work lightly tapped the key when it was in the ignition didn't work until i got a mini screwdriver and put it in unlocked the pin right away put in my key and turned
The following 2 users liked this post by Chillboss:
BobSnead (01-30-20), gracebeierman (06-30-23)
Old 09-03-19, 07:33 AM
killivolt
Driver School Candidate

Easy fix, my wife used my SC 400 key into her RX330 and engaged the security system, I thought I would rock the steering wheel to no avail, I did however lock the steering column, then I thought I would be even smarter and hit the un-lock button holding it down for several seconds and the windows all rolled down, now the windows are down and it might rain tonight, called the dealer they didn't know what to do or wouldn't tell me. So, I called an old Mechanic, he said you have to put the key into the door and un-lock it, we'll it is already un-locked, so I locked the doors manually with the all lock on the driver door, then Unlocked the driver side door, boom security is off I put the key in the ignition rocked the wheel to unlock the steering column which release the ignition to turn the key. Easy.

Good Luck,

kv

Last edited by killivolt; 09-03-19 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-03-19, 08:03 AM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by killivolt
Easy fix, my wife used my SC 400 key into her RX330 and engaged the security system, I thought I would rock the steering wheel to no avail, I did however lock the steering column, then I thought I would be even smarter and hit the un-lock button holding it down for several seconds and the windows all rolled down, now the windows are down and it might rain tonight, called the dealer they didn't know what to do or wouldn't tell me. So, I called an old Mechanic, he said you have to put the key into the door and un-lock it, we'll it is already un-locked, so I locked the doors manually with the all lock on the driver door, then Unlocked the driver side door, boom security is off I put the key in the ignition rocked the wheel to unlock the steering column which release the ignition to turn the key. Easy.

Good Luck,

kv
for future reference, if you put the key in the driver's door and turn to the lock position and hold it, all the windows will roll up.
killivolt (09-03-19)
Old 01-30-20, 10:24 PM
BobSnead
Driver School Candidate

Chillboss, You really save the day! I tried all the other proposed solutions with no success. But when I put a small pocket kniife blade into the ignition (about a half inch I suppose) I was able to turn the key in the ignition. Amazing! Thanks a million!

Last edited by BobSnead; 01-30-20 at 10:26 PM. Reason: to give recognition to Chillboss

Quick Reply: Ignition Switch is Locked