RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

transmission stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-11, 11:23 PM
latorne
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission stopped working

2007 RX 350 transmition stopped working at 80K miles. Is there a re Call on this? Seem too early to start having transmition problems?
Old 10-01-11, 11:54 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by latorne
2007 RX 350 transmition stopped working at 80K miles. Is there a re Call on this? Seem too early to start having transmition problems?
No recalls. Warranty expired at 70K unless you have an extended warranty such as a CPO if you bought one of those. Purchased new or used? If used was it a CPO?

While there were reported issues with the RX300 transmissions back in the day there is little data for the RX350 on this topic.

Did you keep the RX up-to-date with all its required maintenance per the Owner's Manual? With the RX350 there was no requirement to change the transmission fluid as it uses WS fluid which is supposed to be good for the life of the vehicle unless you tow. However, many here believe it should be replaced at least at 60K. Still, not should not have affected anything unless the transmission was under heavy loads. If you did everything by the book you have that working in your favor.

Did you tow with this vehicle?

Cost for the rebuild is quite expensive if that is truly the problem. Who told you it was the transmission? Would be sure to have it towed to a Lexus/Toyota shop at least for confirmation and a quote.

If a rebuild of your transmission is truly required I would be talking to Lexus Corporate about the matter. Number is in your Owner's Manual.

You can search the RX forums here for the word "transmission" for a number of threads on this topic.
Old 10-02-11, 12:18 AM
latorne
Driver School Candidate

Thank You for reply, the car jusT stopped working, it has never towed anything. Just replaced the fluid and there is still fluide in transmition.
Old 10-02-11, 12:24 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Thank You for reply, the car jusT stopped working, it has never towed anything. Just replaced the fluid and there is still fluide in transmition.
You will need professional help to get a diagnosis. Toyota shops are OK and are more reasonably priced regarding labor charges than Lexus.

What fluid did you use? Was it Toyota WS?
Old 10-02-11, 03:58 AM
latorne
Driver School Candidate

My wife told me she check the owner manuel while she was at Valvolene and it was whtever was in there. Could it me it need fluide? This happened on an up hill and I never checked the level on flat land. I did check it while it was on the hill with the car turned off and I did see red fluid. I forgot top check it when the car was towed to flat land...
Old 10-02-11, 04:28 AM
latorne
Driver School Candidate

While I was on the hill the car would engauge transmition for about 20 ft and then it would diengauge and stop. I did that four times and as I got closer to the top of the hill it would enGauge far less 10 ft or less.
Old 10-02-11, 07:00 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very possible the Valvoline place has used the wrong fluid. Stop trying to drive it and get it towed to a dealer as soon you can. Maybe a flush and change can save it.
Old 10-02-11, 07:44 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Never let places outside Toyota or Lexus (or certified local shops) touch the tranny.

Get it towed to a Toyota place if warranty is expired.

Good luck. And get it towed NOW.
Old 10-02-11, 09:13 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

My wife told me she check the owner manuel while she was at Valvolene and it was whtever was in there. Could it me it need fluide? This happened on an up hill and I never checked the level on flat land. I did check it while it was on the hill with the car turned off and I did see red fluid. I forgot top check it when the car was towed to flat land...
The new transmissions in the RX350 are sealed systems. They do not need to be topped off.

There is a WS compatible Valvoline transmission fluid, however, no telling if you got the right one (it is very expensive compared to the normal stuff -- that is a clue) or if you now have overfilled the system.

As I mentioned above, and as also mentioned by Carver, get this towed to the shop and have it checked. Toyota or Lexus, either will do. You may have just made a very expensive mistake.
Old 10-03-11, 05:03 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

X3, wrong fluid more than likely.

Sounds like someone at Valvoline made an expensive mistake...
Old 10-04-11, 06:33 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
X3, wrong fluid more than likely.

Sounds like someone at Valvoline made an expensive mistake...

Yup, now try and get them to pay for it.
Old 10-04-11, 07:53 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I would bet for sure that the wrong fluid (Type IV) was used instead of World Standard (WS) Fluid. The sad thing is this fluid change was not necessary.
Old 10-04-11, 08:59 AM
ac921ol
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

let us know what happens, best of luck, and lets hope its something minor.
fingers crossed.

Do I need to worry about tranny fluid in a RX330??
Old 10-04-11, 09:40 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ac921ol

Do I need to worry about tranny fluid in a RX330??
Some believe the heat, stress, dirt, chemical breakdown and wear would indicate a change of transmission fluid at least at the 60k mark if not every 30k, others believe in magic and will run the original fluid to 100k or forever because it's magical.
Old 10-04-11, 09:43 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

As Carver pretty much already said; there is no lifetime fluid. All fluids break down eventually, even the beloved Synthetics.

Quick Reply: transmission stopped working