RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

DIY white LED interior lid door handles

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-13, 05:17 PM
JProdun
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RoverBoi88
yes our RX has them, the brightest we can see the lights is only at night when the car is thrown into Park... when going into Drive, the lights dim out which is gay cuz i like mood lighting haha!

question to you guys is the LED that goes under the steering wheel to light up the footwell. Anyone know how to get to that??
Legit question! Any help?

Also the door seals where "LEXUS" lights up?
Old 10-23-13, 05:51 PM
stevies30
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

To get to the footwell LEDs you have to remove the larger underdash panels that they are in. Look around down there and you'll find the screws that hold them in along with some clips. There's also a thread on here on how to remove them. On the door sills, the trim pieces are just held in place by clips so pry them up. Towards the front of the trim piece (underneath) you will see a clip where the wires are hooked together. Undo that clip and you can just lift the trim piece out and you will be able to see where the LED is attached inside the trim piece.
Old 10-23-13, 07:11 PM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Probably a bad idea to change the LEDs in the foot wells, as they are ON all the time when your headlights are on

They are very dim for a reason.....these lights are there just to offer a little light so you can see when driving in very dark areas.....they should not be so bright as it could distract the driver.
Old 10-24-13, 09:28 AM
mbriex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by defo
Probably a bad idea to change the LEDs in the foot wells, as they are ON all the time when your headlights are on

They are very dim for a reason.....these lights are there just to offer a little light so you can see when driving in very dark areas.....they should not be so bright as it could distract the driver.
I'm looking for the same power led but on my rx400h their colour is amber. This colour doesn't match the interior since I've changed all interior lights for white led.
Where could I find the same power but white?
Old 10-24-13, 10:00 AM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mbriex
I'm looking for the same power led but on my rx400h their colour is amber. This colour doesn't match the interior since I've changed all interior lights for white led.
Where could I find the same power but white?
You should be able to just change the bulb....I believe that the power supply (to those amber under dash lights), is reduced, and that any LED light will be dim
Old 10-24-13, 09:55 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

The power going to the accent LEDs is very low...Hence they are dim. I did the same mod to the foot wells and door handles but with blue LEDs. Instead of tapping into the original wires, I tapped into the window. Now they are plenty bright and look much more like the accent LEDs that all the new cars are coming out with.

I also changed the amber LEDs in the door sills for white ones, added blue LEDs under the front seats for the rear footwells and took out the amber LEDs in the over head console for blue ones.
Old 10-31-13, 01:25 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

jakenbake, can you post some pictures ? I like to see the outcome
Old 11-14-13, 10:17 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Sorry for the delay. Again...I would wire them to a different source than the original accent lights as the voltage to the accent lights is very low. Additionally, the oem accent lights dim even further than the already dim levels when you shift into gear.

Old 11-15-13, 06:58 AM
CJG
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oooh nice. Anything special to know about swapping out the lights on the door sills? I really dislike the amber and would love to swap 'em out with brighter white ones.
Old 11-15-13, 10:54 AM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

The metal parts are held in with double sided tape...I baked the sills for a 15 minutes or so at 170 degrees to loosen it up. Afterward, the 3M tape i bought was a little too thick and made the metal stick up a little about the rest of the sill. So I just used epoxy to hold the metal in place. Overall it was really easy.

The one that was the most difficult was the overhead console. The LEDs are really hard to get to, so I ended up just drilling a hole right behind the sunglass holder (where it is out of sight) and then disconnected the amber LEDs.

Also...For the footwell lights...A couple of easy places to tap in are an unused connector behind the cigarette lighter and the unused plug the 115v outlet by the gas lid opener button. For the back seat footwells I tapped into the center console light by opening up the cover on the front side of the console. If you tap into any of these, the footwell light brightness can be controlled with the rest of the dash lights.
Old 04-14-14, 07:03 PM
quantt
Driver School Candidate

So , formative Friend. great work. I will Test with my Car:d