RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

Lexus RX models - Best All-season tire choices

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-15, 04:00 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by brianmch
I see that the Alenza Plus is one of the go-to's for the RX. I can only find it in 255/60/17 @ Costco. Specs are 25/65/17. Is that what ya'll are getting? The other choices aren't so hot or waay more expensive.
A fair amount of people getting the Alenza's were 18" tires vice the 17".
Old 12-22-15, 09:30 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

You can definitely get the Alenzas on 18's. A bunch of us are riding on them. I have seen only 3 RX3xx with 17" rims ever since I bought my RX.
Old 12-28-15, 05:45 AM
Nozzleman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading the reviews on all season/leaning toward winter tires, I went with the Michelin Premier. Considered the Continental but saw a history of belt separation.
They are quiet, extremely good in the rain and today we have freezing rain. Good traction and stopping. We had some snow in early November and they performed well then too, about as good as my Envoy with the LTX M/S.
Pricey, I know but I was swayed by the ratings.
Old 12-29-15, 12:20 PM
brianmch
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mandyfig
You can definitely get the Alenzas on 18's. A bunch of us are riding on them. I have seen only 3 RX3xx with 17" rims ever since I bought my RX.
well plus 1 for me makes it #4 on 17's.
Old 04-26-17, 01:52 PM
wildta
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had the Parada Spec-X (two sets in a row) for the past 70k miles and l loved the tires on my RX400h. Road noise increased as they wore out at the very end but was tolerable. They are discontinued now so I'm looking for an alternative and debating between:
  • Yokohama YK740
  • Continental EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06
Any thoughts or any suggestions on other tires I should look at? I like really great handling and cornering while maintaining my MPGs and enjoy a quiet ride.
Old 04-26-17, 03:33 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts
Thumbs up

If you want the best truly All Season tire for your RX, something that can actually handle snow, there is no better than Michelin LTX M/S IMO. These tires come at 13/32's and they rock in the snow. And I'm not just saying that, check out my pic. I just took it out my window, still snowing here. At this rate it may be July before we can golf around here.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus RX models - Best All-season tire choices-imag0446.jpg  
Old 04-26-17, 04:04 PM
ghuns
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wildta
I've had the Parada Spec-X (two sets in a row) for the past 70k miles and l loved the tires on my RX400h. Road noise increased as they wore out at the very end but was tolerable. They are discontinued now so I'm looking for an alternative and debating between:
  • Yokohama YK740
  • Continental EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06
Any thoughts or any suggestions on other tires I should look at? I like really great handling and cornering while maintaining my MPGs and enjoy a quiet ride.
I run those Contis on my Audi A4. Love them on it. But the Conti Pure Contact are a better choice for the RX, IMHO. We are on our second set on the RX and have been very happy with them.
Old 05-21-17, 12:29 AM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Tire opinions

Hey guys, I was hoping some of you could help me out. Need to get new tires for my girlfriends 09 rx350 with awd and 18" wheels and wanted to hear some thoughts on good all seasons. I'm kinda feeling overwhelmed with all the choices for all seasons. I run Yokohama summer tires on my GS and Toyo AT tires on my Land Cruiser, so I'm a little lost on the all seasons lol. We live in upstate NY, so they need to be decent in snow.Pretty much all paved road driving. I read some of the older posts about this, just didn't see anything within the last few years.Anyone have any of the Toyo or Yokohama models they can share their experience with? Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 05-21-17, 05:47 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

I would recommend 2 sets of tires for summer & winter if you live upstate New York.
Not only it's law in the province I'm moving to in the Great White North...
it also has it's advantages:
less wear on 2 sets than one
salt will not ruin the original aluminum rims if the winter tires are installed on normal steel rims, you can do the changeover yourself in spring & fall.
for the winter tires & rims you can save some $$$ by downsizing to 17" & even find some excellent used deals as 17" tires & rims are more common & available.
safety reasons.
For now, I am pleased with 18" Michelins which I purchased with maybe 1,000 miles used at a deal I could not refuse, I will look into 17" steel rims & winter tires in the fall.

Last edited by 05RX330AWD; 05-21-17 at 05:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MerlinT (05-22-17)
Old 05-30-17, 01:43 PM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Ended up getting a set of Toyo Open Country HT's since I've had nothing but great experiences with Toyo. We're taking the RX on a 500 mile road trip in a couple days, I'll report back and let you guys know how they work out.
Old 05-30-17, 02:47 PM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Agree, go with the best experiences, post your MPG & whatever weather conditions for performance related to those conditions...
Have a safe trip.
Old 06-13-17, 04:02 PM
Band
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nozzleman
After reading the reviews on all season/leaning toward winter tires, I went with the Michelin Premier.
Pricey, I know but I was swayed by the ratings.
Just replaced Bridgestone Alenzas with these and quite an improvement. Crisper turn-in along with smoother well controlled ride and quieter, too. Big discount at Costco ($100 off). My experience with Michelin is they require relatively less balance weights. Premier is top rated by Consumer reports.
Old 06-13-17, 11:08 PM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

So I wanted to give you RX guys/gals an update on the Toyo HT's that we put on my girlfriends 09 RX. We've only driven 1k miles on them, but so far they're great! She had Michelin Latitude with 3/4 tread left, but she doesn't drive much and they were dry rotted(common with michelin) 2 years after manufactured date

So we both feel that the toyo's are better in every aspect. We took her car on a 500 mile trip that included city, country, and interstate roads in both dry and wet conditions and the Toyo's performed flawlessly. They are better cornering, ride comfort, steering response, straight line tracking, and waaaay better on the highway and especially wet roads. The only kinda negative things about them are they are a little noisier for the first 2-3 hundred miles until they wear in a little, then they're the same as the michelin's. The second problem may not be a problem at all, depending how you view it lol. They evacuate water so well, it throws dirty water down the side of the car I think both are not real issues, just thought I'd point them out.

Overall we couldn't be happier with the Toyo HT's, especially for $571 for all 4 delivered to my front door. Only one wheel needed weights when balancing and the other three needed ZERO weights(common for Toyo) to be balanced Im fully aware Michelin makes some of the best tires out there, but I can't justify spending $800-$1000 for tires that dry rot in two years.
Sorry about the long post, but hopefully it'll help someone when it's time to buy tires. I couldn't find any pictures of them on a RX so here's a couple so you can get an idea. Please excuse how dirty the car is, it's right after our road trip and it was starting to get dark.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus RX models - Best All-season tire choices-photo330.jpg   Lexus RX models - Best All-season tire choices-photo64.jpg   Lexus RX models - Best All-season tire choices-photo437.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by SpectraBlu:
Broc (02-08-20), SJM (12-12-22)
Old 10-03-18, 07:05 AM
Guitarboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kostyan
Jeff, I have these Continental DWS's on my 06 Acura TL 6spd, and while they grip better than stock Michelins, they have a much weaker sidewall, and constantly flatten out at temperatures below 60. That is, if the temp gets colder than about 60 overnight, then you will have flat spots and thumping sounds for first 5-10 miles.
That's what happens with my Bridgestone Dueler's, they're lumpy on cool mornings and take a few miles to smooth out.
Old 12-10-22, 01:08 PM
cherrypik
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all 08 RX400H driver looking to go back to Michelin. What’s the Michelin consensus for Midwest driving? Also should I look into 18s?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Lexus RX models - Best All-season tire choices