RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

The Official "What have you done to your RX today thread" :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-20, 07:43 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix
Kinda surprised you haven't had your windows tinted, where your at.....Oh well, great next thing to do for ya'.......
well its mainly because i havent had the funds to do it and what funds i do get at the moment i kinda want to set aside for a item ive been wanting and still do want.
Old 12-13-20, 07:44 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by iMSQ
Many people like to drive with open windows... at 100+ F outside... ))))))
yea they are effing crazy!!!
Old 12-13-20, 10:56 AM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 462 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by matts6887
yea they are effing crazy!!!
I'd think you'd want your window down to let the heat build up escape while your a/c gets going, after sitting in the heat at work, unless your work has a parking garage, which one place I worked at had one....Another possibly is you haven't gotten around to installing the Vintage Air kit you bought for your '60's-'70's muscle car......btw those are awesome kits & are easy to install......
Old 12-14-20, 07:10 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by Felix
I'd think you'd want your window down to let the heat build up escape while your a/c gets going, after sitting in the heat at work, unless your work has a parking garage, which one place I worked at had one....Another possibly is you haven't gotten around to installing the Vintage Air kit you bought for your '60's-'70's muscle car......btw those are awesome kits & are easy to install......
yea a lot of people around here that have classic cars/rides; have vintage air units in them because they want to be able to drive them during the summer as well. I dont have work at the moment as my previous job closed the retail parts side of their stores which meant us little guys had to find jobs elsewhere. problem is ive been looking and applying since august and still havent landed anything thanks to this pandemic!
Old 01-01-21, 08:50 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts
Default Replaced my charcoal EVAP canister

Car developed a P0456, P0455 & P0441 a while back. I got a used EVAP canister and put it on.

What a PITA. You have to drop the exhaust system from the engine to the rear bumper! Does Toyota hire engineers to find ways to make things more difficult? The problem part is not the EVAP canister, but a solenoid that opens an air valve. But the valve is built into the EVAP canister, so you have to replace the whole thing. New EVAP canisters are something like $450.
Old 01-02-21, 07:24 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Car developed a P0456, P0455 & P0441 a while back. I got a used EVAP canister and put it on.

What a PITA. You have to drop the exhaust system from the engine to the rear bumper! Does Toyota hire engineers to find ways to make things more difficult? The problem part is not the EVAP canister, but a solenoid that opens an air valve. But the valve is built into the EVAP canister, so you have to replace the whole thing. New EVAP canisters are something like $450.
yea i always thought that somehow; these early gen lexus designers/engineers just loved to come up with ways to really tick people off when it comes to wanting to try and do work on them on their own; such as replacing transfer cases or something else maybe along those lines; or even worse yet; replacing the rear plugs/coil packs which as we know is a royal pain in the A##! which in the end makes question "what the heck were they thinking"
Old 01-03-21, 05:22 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 462 Likes on 403 Posts

yea i always thought that somehow; these early gen lexus designers/engineers just loved to come up with ways to really tick people off when it comes to wanting to try and do work on them on their own; such as replacing transfer cases or something else maybe along those lines; or even worse yet; replacing the rear plugs/coil packs which as we know is a royal pain in the A##! which in the end makes question "what the heck were they thinking"
Thats a cake, try swapping out a w/p on a 3.5 Ford in a fwd/awd platform.....Quite a lot of vehicles w/ tight fitting engine packages......
Old 01-07-21, 07:57 PM
RXellence
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New look

Here’s what I did today (and yesterday):

The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (01-07-21)
Old 01-07-21, 08:41 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 867 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by RXellence
Here’s what I did today (and yesterday):

Looks good.
That looks like a custom color paint job.
PS- some leather spray color will make those seats look like new again- same stuff the car dealers use.
RXellence (01-07-21)
Old 01-07-21, 08:47 PM
RXellence
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Margate330
Looks good.
That looks like a custom color paint job.
PS- some leather spray color will make those seats look like new again- same stuff the car dealers use.
Thanks, yes it is a custom color...just got it out of the shop yesterday. Yeah, I tried some leather “repair” cream and as you can see it didn’t do much but smooth over the cracks and make them less brittle. How does the spray work?
Old 01-07-21, 08:59 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 867 Likes on 694 Posts

Thanks, yes it is a custom color...just got it out of the shop yesterday. Yeah, I tried some leather “repair” cream and as you can see it didn’t do much but smooth over the cracks and make them less brittle. How does the spray work?
My seats looked like hell and almost bought new leather seat covers- glad I didn't.
Did a restoration write up on it at this thread if anyone needs it.
Link: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...st-covers.html

PS- Did you do the paint on car and rims yourself? I've seen similar color on a newer Toyota truck over the holidays but didn't look as good or as shiny- maybe they didn't use as much clear coat.
Old 01-08-21, 07:10 AM
matts6887
Racer

that looks killer!!! how did you get the custom center panel to look that way with all the controls for hvac etc? is that display from a tesla or something?
RXellence (01-08-21)
Old 01-08-21, 07:23 AM
RXellence
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Margate330
My seats looked like hell and almost bought new leather seat covers- glad I didn't.
Did a restoration write up on it at this thread if anyone needs it.
Link: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...st-covers.html

PS- Did you do the paint on car and rims yourself? I've seen similar color on a newer Toyota truck over the holidays but didn't look as good or as shiny- maybe they didn't use as much clear coat.
Thanks for the tip on the seats! I got the paint job done at a shop. The wheels I got off Ebay and they were already painted black.
Old 01-08-21, 07:27 AM
RXellence
Driver School Candidate

that looks killer!!! how did you get the custom center panel to look that way with all the controls for hvac etc? is that display from a tesla or something?
Thanks! I got the radio from these folks:

https://rhinoradios.com/collections/...on-tesla-style

It’s plug and play for the most part but you have to transfer the OEM A/C display motherboard to this radio for the controls to work. No instructions, just a video link of two guys installing it....so warning: know what you’re doing if you get this. Their support was responsive though.
matts6887 (01-08-21)
Old 01-08-21, 08:10 AM
matts6887
Racer

Thanks! I got the radio from these folks:

https://rhinoradios.com/collections/...on-tesla-style

It’s plug and play for the most part but you have to transfer the OEM A/C display motherboard to this radio for the controls to work. No instructions, just a video link of two guys installing it....so warning: know what you’re doing if you get this. Their support was responsive though.
the only thing that sucks is it only has android; and i am a iphone user, how can there not be any instructions for it?

Quick Reply: The Official "What have you done to your RX today thread" :)