RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Front Number Plate Holder

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-11, 05:52 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Front Number Plate Holder

Has anyone removed their front number plate holder. I hate how big it is on the front bumper, and the RX, IMO, looks much better without the thing. I removed it today and noticed that there were 6 holes in total on the front bumper for this thing.

There are 2 holes where the end of the license holder clip into, 2 holes to keep the holder firmly against the front bumper (in the event that the end clips fail I guess), plus 2 holes for where the license plate screws would go through.

Has anyone done anything to the front of their car to remove this and make the holes not noticeable. I do know that these could be putty filled and then the whole bumper resprayed, but I am trying to find something that won't necessarily need to have this done.

Old 02-22-11, 06:36 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Wow that is huge! It is fugly. Wonder why they did that for your application.
Old 02-22-11, 06:37 AM
mandyfig

And your air dam looks different than ours or maybe it is the way the picture was taken.
Old 02-22-11, 06:39 AM
mandyfig

There are places here in the US that specialize on bumper hole covers. They are painted to your paint specs.

Google bumper hole covers.

Otherwise yes, you have to repaint the bumper.
Old 02-22-11, 07:56 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It's great that Australia let's you do that. In California it is illegal to remove the front plate. In the past it was not strongly enforced, but with these bad economic times, that has changed. The fine is $204.
Old 02-22-11, 09:01 AM
mandyfig

Shut the front door! $204 for missing front plates? Revenue. Sucks that we are all treated to be cash cows.
Old 02-22-11, 02:42 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mandyfig
And your air dam looks different than ours or maybe it is the way the picture was taken.
The air dam is the same. I would say it is the angle. The only difference with mine since the picture I posted above to now is that the air dam is now meshed.

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Now that is huge! It is fugly. Wonder why they did that for your application.
No idea, every single RX in Australia has this thing installed. I wonder if I can come up with a different solution to this that will avoid the bumper having to be resprayed.

Originally Posted by rainbird
It's great that Australia let's you do that. In California it is illegal to remove the front plate. In the past it was not strongly enforced, but with these bad economic times, that has changed. The fine is $204.
Rainbird it is illegal to not have the front plate displayed, it has to be visible otherwise there is a fine to pay. So if I could have it that we did not have a front plate that would be fantastic.
Old 02-22-11, 02:44 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

I'll take a picture either today or tomorrow and post up what the holes look like with that ridiculous license plate holder removed.
Old 02-22-11, 05:32 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by draco
I'll take a picture either today or tomorrow and post up what the holes look like with that ridiculous license plate holder removed.
Maybe Australian RX's have that black number plate holder due to the dimensions of the number plates. Is there anywhere else in the world, except maybe New Zealand, that have number plates of that size?

That black plate holder looks like a great feature to me. I've had front bumpers scraped up by people ramming their rear bumper into my front number plate ... might not have had any damage with a plate holder like yours.
Old 02-22-11, 08:31 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

That license plate, including the previous types are all roughly the same size as you see in the picture. Most of the other states are roughly the same size as well. I am thinking that the plate holder could probably be cut to be shorter, but then I would still have an issue with 2 holes on the ends of the darn thing. I could put front bumper proximity sensors there to get "rid" of the holes, but then I do also have something else in mind.
Old 02-23-11, 01:30 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Okay got some picture done to show how these things are mounted.

Old 02-23-11, 01:31 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

I could in theory cover the 4 centre holes with the license plate, but that would still leave me with the 2 outer holes.
Old 02-23-11, 02:07 AM
Poisson
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It looks like you've got some scratches under the centre holes (or at least some bad scuffing). You might need a respray anyway.

I got front sensors installed with the middle two either side of the number plate, in the holder. It works pretty well. The holder isn't so conspicuous on a dark coloured vehicle. Maybe you'd be better off painting the holder instead, so it blends more with your bumper.
Old 02-23-11, 06:15 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Poisson from the looks of it, it is more scuffing than scratches which a good polish would probably remove really well. Have you got a picture of what you did to yours? From your description, not sure if you have removed yours or whether you have kept it on with the sensors. Also how did you wire the sensors up?

I don't think the blend would work very well given the thickness of the holder. I think it would probably make it look more awkward than what it is.
Old 02-23-11, 06:20 AM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could try these for a temporary placeholder while you think of something else to use. Its rather easy to do too.

http://g35driver.com/forums/body-int...per-plugs.html

Quick Reply: Front Number Plate Holder