RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

What kind of AWD is it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-11, 01:20 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi
my surprise wasnt that i got stuck, it was that the rear wheels werent moving.

i had made it through 50 feet of the 2 feet deep snow, it was only the last 5 that for some reason gave me trouble.

that is strange. btw did you use the snow mode? just curious.
Old 02-22-11, 02:17 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

my surprise wasnt that i got stuck, it was that the rear wheels werent moving.

i had made it through 50 feet of the 2 feet deep snow, it was only the last 5 that for some reason gave me trouble.
Are you sure it's not FWD?

all the wheels should be spinning.....
Old 03-10-11, 06:32 PM
HimSelf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove my RX330 AWD through some high snow banks here in Canada and it had no problem as long as you give it some speed before hitting the deep snow.

Two feet should not be a problem for the RX but when you got ice below it is very important to keep momentum.
Old 03-11-11, 07:08 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, it is an AWD for sure, i also have air suspension. and even put it up thinking it would help.

the ECT snow was also activated.

my thinking is that our AWD setup isnt very advanced. power takes the path of least resistance, since the fron wheels had no traction, the power went there.
i dont think our setup has the ability to detect slippage and send power to other wheels. hence the rear wouldnt move at all.

i have done checks since to make sure the AWD does work, and it does. i think like someone else posted, the ratio is 90 front 10 rear, that may be accurate.

ideally, a quattro, subaru or acura's SH-AWD system would have surely been better.
Old 03-11-11, 08:08 AM
Goettel
Driver School Candidate

The way I understand it for the Rx350:

The center differential is of the viscous type (limited slip) which means that torque should be distributed more or less 50/50 front to rear. The thing is that with viscous differentials, their needs to be a big enough difference between the speed of the front wheels and the speed of the rear wheels (ie slippage) for the silicone in the differential to turn thicker and transfer torque equally front to rear. Maybe the traction control was interfering with the diff's job. If it was cutting engine power before their was enough slippage for the viscous diff to do it's job, then power might follow the path of least resistance.
Old 03-11-11, 12:03 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Yeah but the 05`s didnt use a viscous coupling.They used a simpler but just as effective method.

Lexus RX330 AWD
Lexus redesigned its bestselling model for 2004, and it enters 2005 with just some minor upgrades and a rollover sensor for the side curtain airbags. The next big thing for this SUV is the RX400h, a hybrid-powered version that goes on sale in late winter. The conventionally powered RX uses a 3.3 liter V-6 with an output of 230 horsepower and 242 lb-ft of torque. The transmission is a five-speed automatic, and the all-wheel-drive system uses a torque-splitting center differential that relies on traction- and stability-control hardware to apportion the power in slippery conditions.

Last edited by lexus114; 03-11-11 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-11-11, 01:15 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Even though the RX is technically an AWD vehicle, let's be honest, it is about the last AWD SUV I would pick to drive through deep, slick snow.
Old 03-13-11, 01:44 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

I cant complain, and I took mine through some pretty deep stuff this winter. Actually, i was impressed.
Old 03-13-11, 03:35 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The closest soft stuff that I have taken the RX through was a beach. Thankfully most of the ground was not as soft as it looked, and I did follow a Landcruiser through.
Old 04-09-11, 09:43 PM
clague
Driver School Candidate

I suggest you give your manual a thorough read. When you're stuck, you need to disable the traction control:

"If your wheels get stuck in a ditch when you are driving on a severe off road and sand, turn off the traction control system. This system that controls engine performance interferes with the process of freeing your wheels."

yes, it is an AWD for sure, i also have air suspension. and even put it up thinking it would help.

the ECT snow was also activated.

my thinking is that our AWD setup isnt very advanced. power takes the path of least resistance, since the fron wheels had no traction, the power went there.
i dont think our setup has the ability to detect slippage and send power to other wheels. hence the rear wouldnt move at all.

i have done checks since to make sure the AWD does work, and it does. i think like someone else posted, the ratio is 90 front 10 rear, that may be accurate.

ideally, a quattro, subaru or acura's SH-AWD system would have surely been better.
Old 04-10-11, 05:45 AM
MerlinT
Rookie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by clague
I suggest you give your manual a thorough read. When you're stuck, you need to disable the traction control:

"If your wheels get stuck in a ditch when you are driving on a severe off road and sand, turn off the traction control system. This system that controls engine performance interferes with the process of freeing your wheels."
X 2! I wasn't able to do that with my Highlander 2002 AWD, and got stucked in snow (while moving back in a parking, and because of the slope: got "jacked")
Old 04-11-11, 11:00 AM
Boognish
Driver

Originally Posted by Goettel
The way I understand it for the Rx350:

The center differential is of the viscous type (limited slip) which means that torque should be distributed more or less 50/50 front to rear. The thing is that with viscous differentials, their needs to be a big enough difference between the speed of the front wheels and the speed of the rear wheels (ie slippage) for the silicone in the differential to turn thicker and transfer torque equally front to rear. Maybe the traction control was interfering with the diff's job. If it was cutting engine power before their was enough slippage for the viscous diff to do it's job, then power might follow the path of least resistance.
Bingo. For a viscous center differential (VCD) to work, traction control can't be getting in the way. Also, a VCD does not "lock" the center diff like a mechanical differential would, it has limits.
Old 04-11-11, 12:17 PM
monkeyRX
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, that is a great tip. Thanks for the info!
Old 04-11-11, 12:52 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

wait a minute, Only the front wheel drive models have traction control! awd does not.
Old 04-11-11, 01:27 PM
Goettel
Driver School Candidate

The AWD ones definitely have traction control.

Quick Reply: What kind of AWD is it?