ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-2nd-gen-2004-2009-164/)
-   -   Is it worth it to do the NAV update on my 2007 RX350? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-2nd-gen-2004-2009/550206-is-it-worth-it-to-do-the-nav-update-on-my-2007-rx350.html)

farcry80 01-31-11 06:47 AM

Is it worth it to do the NAV update on my 2007 RX350?

I recently bought a 2007 Lexus RX 350 with the original maps. I wanted to know in addition to the updated maps is there anything else you get when you update the navi to 10.1 (the most recent I think).

Thanks.

mandyfig 01-31-11 06:56 AM

I heard it is worth it. Yours probably has 2006 maps for a 2007 version. The V10.1 is current through NOV of 2010.

It is always late by a year.

That's 4 years of updates.

Adamjeeps 01-31-11 07:17 AM

Only drawback is you lose the Navigation override hidden menu, which allows you to change your destination while you are driving. This is because the new map also updates the software and, to my knowledge, nobody has figured out how to access the "service" menu on the new software.

Also, unless the dealer is installing for you at no charge, it is very easy to DIY. There are plenty of posts here on how to change out the dvd.

RMB350 01-31-11 12:29 PM

I also heard that it is worth it, just haven't pulled the trigger myself. With all of the free nav apps on the iPhone, I just can't see spending the money right now as I don't really need it.
If you do decide to go with it, post up your review..

mandyfig 01-31-11 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by RMB350 (Post 6108865)
I also heard that it is worth it, just haven't pulled the trigger myself. With all of the free nav apps on the iPhone, I just can't see spending the money right now as I don't really need it.
If you do decide to go with it, post up your review..

Got a point, no need to waste money.

ripster 02-01-11 07:17 PM

It got rid of the requirement to always say ok to get it to go to the map without any input from me. Expensive for that one little irritation, but if I put in the preset keys for places --I can at least use the presets while driving I believe. Such arrogance to presume that they know best as to when you should change or alter destinations, when the rest of the world uses aftermarket devices that you can do anything with. But it is nice to have built in so I should quit complaining.

farcry80 02-04-11 08:10 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I'll be doing the update at my dealer this weekend.

willyb0b 02-04-11 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by farcry80 (Post 6119769)
Thanks for all the replies. I'll be doing the update at my dealer this weekend.

you can find upgrade discs on ebay for much cheaper and always install yourself, it's very easy

LexFather 02-04-11 08:18 PM

I usually give the advice of getting it every other year, unless you live somewhere or travel a lot.

Rainbird 02-04-11 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by willyb0b (Post 6119984)
you can find upgrade discs on ebay for much cheaper and always install yourself, it's very easy

There is a big problem with buying these $75 Lexus Navigation discs. They are an illegal copy of an original Lexus DVD. It's a fact that Lexus charges way too much for these upgrades, but supporting these software pirates on ebay is not the way to go.

JForce 02-06-11 09:28 PM

Unless you find yourself not being able to locate many addresses, I say don't get it. The original that came with 2004 RX330 was in my car for awhile until I found a 7.1 update and just recently 10.1 went live. But the fact of the matter is update if you need it. Most people dont even use it at all.

mandyfig 02-11-11 10:48 AM

Very true. However the one time you would need it and if you do not have the GPs on your phone...that would be the day you swear at your version for not showing you a house that is 10 years old!

I say shut the front door!

LOL!

RX330inFL 02-11-11 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rainbird (Post 6121338)
There is a big problem with buying these $75 Lexus Navigation discs. They are an illegal copy of an original Lexus DVD. It's a fact that Lexus charges way too much for these upgrades, but supporting these software pirates on ebay is not the way to go.

+1

Sometimes it is hard to determine which is which on eBay as they will show you the original Lexus DVD in the product information and then ship you a burned DVD. I do not have have the NAV system in my RX330, however, this is a problem across industries and products -- what is OEM and what is a copy.

Rainbird 02-11-11 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by RX330inFL (Post 6138531)
+1

Sometimes it is hard to determine which is which on eBay as they will show you the original Lexus DVD in the product information and then ship you a burned DVD. I do not have have the NAV system in my RX330, however, this is a problem across industries and products -- what is OEM and what is a copy.

If the DVD is the latest version and sells below $150 you can be certain it's not a Lexus OEM DVD. Most of the time these pirate sellers last only a few weeks before eBay finds out and gives them the boot. If you read the customer feedback on these sellers that offer the latest version for $65 to $85, you will see comments like this:
* Works but not OEM
* Not from Lexus, it's a copy

RMB350 02-13-11 07:07 PM

I heard that Homeland Security is shutting down these illegal sports jersey makers, why not go after these pirates as well.
You just can't sell copies of these discs...period.

Also, what if you spend 75.00 on a disc and it doesn't work??

Be careful people..